Which reel?

S.preston

Reaction score
Im going to pick up a new setup 11ft 8/9 switch or short double handed but need a reel. Ive got a hardy ultralite cadd 1000 for my bigger rod and leaning towards a 9000 ultradisc udla from Hardy again. Im concerned about line capacity mainly as I got cought out earlier in the year with an orvis clearwater cassette reel andhad to compromise on backing and it was overloaded in all honesty and wasnt enjoyable to use. Anyways im also looking at sage, vision and guideline options but all need to be capable of holding a multi tip line system to match the rod.
Thanks in advance

Rennie

Reaction score
I've 3 switch outfits and a few thoughts to share.On my Sage One 8 weight, originally I'd a Hardy Ultralite DD reel in the 8000 size,, lovely reel, but in all honesty too large (physically big large!) for an 11fter.I now have a Hardy Ultralite MA DD reel in the 8/9/10 size.These are trout ratings, but its perfect for an 8 weight head, running line and 150yds+ of 30lb backing.Now the 8 heads are Salmon rated, Airflo's 510 grain Scandi Compact and Rage and an 8 weight Rio SSVT.Absolutely bob on!.
My other two rods are both Trout rated, so carry physically smaller lines- 7 and 8 weight Airflo 40+ lines and lots of backing.
I say this to illustrate that you need to determine which sort of line your choice of rod will be capable of utilising, then choose a reel accordingly.I use a Scientific Anglers Mastery reel by 3M in 10/11(thats Trout rated 10/11!) on my 6 weight rod with the 7 line, the 7 weight rod has the 8 weight line on a Scierra Traxion 8Ten reel, both reels carry 200yds of 20lb backing
It's completely possible to obtain a reel perfectly sorted for your particular needs.
Don't skimp on the amount of backing though!, you'll still be Angling for Salar and its better to know you have backing, than be wishing you had!.
All my outfits are pretty well balanced and easy and pleasurable to use all day long, well matched to each rod and its intended use.
Best of luck, Pedro.

Last edited:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Danielsons LW5 8twelve for that size of rod.
Amazing reel especially for this price
Which is precisely what I use on my 11' 6" #8. Perfect balance, excellent capacity (Rio SSVT #8 + 100' runner + 220 yards 30 lbs backing). It's a reel you can bequeath to your great grandchildren with absolute confidence.

S.preston

Reaction score
Thanks lads didn't even think of a Danielson, never had experience with the brand but after having a mooch online seems to have a cult following and some great reviews

heather point

Reaction score
Hardy Marquis No 1, perfect for an 11' switch rod and a lovely noise when playing a fish.
Plenty of them on ebay.

mows

Reaction score
I have a Grey's GRXi on one and a 10/11 system 2 on the other.
Both work well.
The drag on the system 2 is excellent.
The drag on the greys is good.
The system2 is slow on the winding in when a big fish has taken a long run.
It's a lot faster on the greys.

NEbody

Reaction score
Oh dear....

I don't think I am either,but I'd say most of the reels mentioned are far superior in price than a Hardy Marquis.

So... who's the exhibitionist ?

The Danielsson L5W is actually cheaper than the list price of the smallest salmon Marquis and doesn’t shout “look at me, I’ve got a fish on”

NEbody

Reaction score
I like a reel that tells me when a fish is taking line but don’t need folk in the next parish to hear it. I have one reel that clicks (quite quietly) when I wind in but not when the line’s going out and that‘s wrong as well.

1kofly

Reaction score
Danielsson FW 7-10 is great for 11 footers. I also have Scierra LW1 on the same size and it is amazing for that money (full cage). You can also consider one of Lamsons in 3.5 size as they are very light.

Stephen76

Reaction score
Does anyone use a Danielsson reel on a 13ft 8/9 rod ? I’m not sure between the
L5Twelve or the H5D 9thirteen... I will be putting a Gaelforce 9 weight shooting head on one of the spools.. any advice will be much appreciated.

bassfly

Reaction score
Either reel would be ok but I would suggest the H5D 9thirteen as this would give you more line options and extra weight for if you wanted to use the reel on a 14 ft rod . This is the reel I have and use it on both my 13 and 14 ft rods.

Stephen76

Reaction score
That’s for your reply , good point about weight of the reel if using on bigger rod, I spoke earlier in with someone at Danielsson.. they said it’s the same spool for both these reels so I’m a bit confused as to how the larger reel hold more line? Thanks

15ydspeycast

Reaction score
That’s for your reply , good point about weight of the reel if using on bigger rod, I spoke earlier in with someone at Danielsson.. they said it’s the same spool for both these reels so I’m a bit confused as to how the larger reel hold more line? Thanks
It dosent

Stephen76

Reaction score
I found this link on Daniellson's website gives all the details of all reels, hope this helps

https://danielsson-flyreels.se/media/revslider/Weights-line-capacities.pdf
Thanks a lot for sending the chart. I still don’t understand how there is different capacities listed when they are the same spool... that aside I think the L5Twelve on paper is best suited to a 8/9 rod but reading through all related threads most folk recommend the H5D 9thirteen...nothing is easy eh :)
il make a decision and Danielsson told me they would exchange if I felt it wasn’t right.