Which hook suits best.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Which hook choice are 3/0 1/0 or size 6 treble
16101971269942728377597551364337.jpg

Last edited:

SteveG

Reaction score
I prefer a large single however everyone I bump into when using them says they would use trebles as there are not enough takes to risk missed takes, my main reason for preferring singles is potentially less damage to the target and none target fish

Handel

Reaction score
Did they come with singles attached or did you change them from trebles? If you changed them how did you do it?

squimp

Reaction score
I like the look of the smaller single.

Any particular reason for choosing an up eye hook as a replacement ?

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Middle single for me. Fitted owners to a few of my mepps and found they get a good hook hold while being easy to remove.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Has hook up to take ratio altered for you.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Middle single for me. Fitted owners to a few of my mepps and found they get a good hook hold while being easy to remove.

Only hooks i use now mate, great hooks love the owner ST trebles for my tube flies 🎣👍

Rrrr

Reaction score
Has hook up to take ratio altered for you.
Not really but i seem to loose loads of seatrout on trebbles anyway when they run at you after taking. The singles seem to go straight through the jaw and out the other side so hard to loose them if the hook gets a good hold.
To be honest the owner lure singles are that sharp they will sink into anything including fingers so are problably sharper than the original vmc hooks anyway.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Thats the ones ive been using. Also fitted some of the mustad kaju ones to a joblot of old tobies etc i bought.

They look decent, big eye to rig. plenty of movement when the fish is hooked, paired with a braided line and a good solid hook set, should bag plenty 👍🎣

Rrrr

Reaction score
They look decent, big eye to rig. plenty of movement when the fish is hooked, paired with a braided line and a good solid hook set, should bag plenty
Quite like them with tube flys at times aswel when theres weed or leaves in the water. Not hooked a fish with one on the fly yet though as i stuck to owner trebles on tubes late last season as they were allready in the fly box.

squimp

Reaction score
ok, that creates a problem as carp hooks usually don’t go bigger than size 2.

A few suggestions from saltwater fly patterns.

Gamakatsu SL12; superb hook maybe a bit long in the shank ?

Ahrex do similar patterns (270 and 280).

Owner SSW the straight eye version. That would probably work.

gamakatsu Gorilla Light. fantastic hook but might be too heavy in the wire. Not available in U.K. as far as I know. Quite small for size.

Tiemco 600SP. Good hook but expensive. Maybe a bit long in shank for you.

Grip hooks also do some suitable patterns but they are hard to find in U.K. these days.

Lots of standard saltwater O’Shaunessy (sp) patterns available but probably not quite right for what you want.

Basically what you want is a saltwater ‘live bait’ hook. ‘U.K. hooks’ have a couple of possibilities and ‘Veals mail order‘ might have some too. Also check out saltwater ‘crab’ hooks.

Hope this helps.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Put a split ring between the spinner and hook ,or two , easy hook change and allows more movement to prevent leverage, as for short shank hooks, Korda wide gapes in as size2, or Raptor T6, if you can find them, both very good hooks, ever thought about using a circle hook?

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
ok, that creates a problem as carp hooks usually don’t go bigger than size 2.

A few suggestions from saltwater fly patterns.

Gamakatsu SL12; superb hook maybe a bit long in the shank ?

Ahrex do similar patterns (270 and 280).

Owner SSW the straight eye version. That would probably work.

gamakatsu Gorilla Light. fantastic hook but might be too heavy in the wire. Not available in U.K. as far as I know. Quite small for size.

Tiemco 600SP. Good hook but expensive. Maybe a bit long in shank for you.

Grip hooks also do some suitable patterns but they are hard to find in U.K. these days.

Lots of standard saltwater O’Shaunessy (sp) patterns available but probably not quite right for what you want.

Basically what you want is a saltwater ‘live bait’ hook. ‘U.K. hooks’ have a couple of possibilities and ‘Veals mail order‘ might have some too. Also check out saltwater ‘crab’ hooks.

Hope this helps.
Owner hooks are top quality 👌