Which club to join

Trout Whisperer

Reaction score
Night fishing will be mainly single hand rods and the ones you mentioned previously will be absolutely fine even tho switches are popular too, a switch rod can be cast single or double hence the name switch. Double hander fishing is an art form and took me about 6 months to crack it properly (I'm no expert btw) but once you get it its so smooth. Our beats on BADAC are quite easy to fish but you will need a double hand or switch rod to fish them properly. Would recommend a popular setup which is a Shakespeare oracle switch 11ft from John norris penrith around the £80 price point. A decent solid reel enough to hold a full line and 200m backing and youre good to go. That setup wount break the bank until you learn the beats/pools.
Great thank you! Really appreciate the advice! So much to learn and I want to be ready for the start of the season! What type of line and weight do you recommend for the Wear?

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
What is the difference In lines as I see there is different lines with different names for different techniques? Which one do you suggest?
This really is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down 😅
Best advice I can give is decide what rod you want and then buy from somewhere reputable like Norris 's.
They will advise you on what lines are going to be suitable 👍

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
What is the difference In lines as I see there is different lines with different names for different techniques? Which one do you suggest?
Line errrm.. welcome to the crazy world of salmon fishing...... for sea-trout I use a wychwood rocket floater in wt7 for single hand......for a switch rod the Mike barrio switch lines are highly highly recommend and very well priced but also hard to get hold of due to popularity. Try his website to see stock "barrio fly lines"

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
I use a rio scandi short versitip on a 12ft 7/8 rod. But that's the top of the market when it comes to lines, you really don't need that its just my preference. A Shakespeare oracle switch rod in 7/8 wt or 8/9 wt with the barrio switch line in same weight with a pack of poly leaders will see you right. Super simple and very cost effective 👌

Trout Whisperer

Reaction score
Great thank you! I know choosing lines is a crazy world, but your opinion is great thank you! Would you recommend a switch rod over a straight double handed rod? As I already have 2 very good rods for sea trout fishing in my Method and Wraith! So I will probably be wanting a straight salmon rod?

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Great thank you! I know choosing lines is a crazy world, but your opinion is great thank you! Would you recommend a switch rod over a straight double handed rod? As I already have 2 very good rods for sea trout fishing in my Method and Wraith! So I will probably be wanting a straight salmon rod?
I have a 13'#7/8 greys double hander and a guideline 11'6" #6/7 switch rod
I find myself using the switch rod 95% of time, but, I target seatrout and not salmon until September so can't comment on how it would perform salmon wise

SteveG

Reaction score
I would suggest giving it a few weeks and I’m sure we could meet up and let you have a go of a few options and then you can decide what you want to go with, as the lads have said you have the single hander covered ( very nicely I might add 👍) the switch rod is a great rod to use and I’ve seen some lads use nothing else just change line to allow for heavier Flys back end of the year. There are a lot of different switch rods and a lot of different lengths and line weights I have a light weight and a heavy weight the heavier weight one packs a punch there is no doubt it however I would say it’s more of a small double hander and I wouldn’t use it single hand as it just doesn’t feel right. The Shakespeare I was using last year however felt great doing both so I would say it was sort of in between what I have now. Hope that makes sense. Hell I’m sure I can let you try the Shakespeare if you wanted to as well I’ve still got the lines to suit and a reel 🧐 I really must let some gear go now and again 😂

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
The single hand rods are fine mate, get yourself some black n silver tube flies from half inch in length all the way to 2 inch, some strong trebles (i use owner ST in size 10 and 12) and youre seatrout setup is good to go.

Salmon: i use a 12ft guideline elevate rod and it fishes the wear no problem at all, if you wanted a straight salmon rod not a switch you could buy a 12ft....12ft6....13ft.... all of those will fish the wear comfortably. Wherever you buy the rod from "john norris" are very good as steve says above they will recommend a line to match the rod for you. Just tell them you're new to it and they will be more than willing to help with anything you need. My rod is only an entry level rod from guideline 12ft 7/8 rated elevate with an 8wt rio scandi shooting head and rio's connect-core running line, but you can buy a full line with an integrated shooting head (the weight at front of the line) all in one. Then just buy a pack of 10ft poly leaders rio, airflo etc and attach them to youre line to suit the depth/conditions...its hard to explain things nd trying not to confuse at the same time because its alot to take in using a double hand setup if you've never done it before. Again get in contact with John norris of penrith. Tell them you are fishing the wear and are looking for a setup of 12ft-13ft rod reel line backing and poly leaders they will sort you for sure mate....any problems drop me a PM

Maggy

Reaction score
The single hand rods are fine mate, get yourself some black n silver tube flies from half inch in length all the way to 2 inch, some strong trebles (i use owner ST in size 10 and 12) and youre seatrout setup is good to go.

Salmon: i use a 12ft guideline elevate rod and it fishes the wear no problem at all, if you wanted a straight salmon rod not a switch you could buy a 12ft....12ft6....13ft.... all of those will fish the wear comfortably. Wherever you buy the rod from "john norris" are very good as steve says above they will recommend a line to match the rod for you. Just tell them you're new to it and they will be more than willing to help with anything you need. My rod is only an entry level rod from guideline 12ft 7/8 rated elevate with an 8wt rio scandi shooting head and rio's connect-core running line, but you can buy a full line with an integrated shooting head (the weight at front of the line) all in one. Then just buy a pack of 10ft poly leaders rio, airflo etc and attach them to youre line to suit the depth/conditions...its hard to explain things nd trying not to confuse at the same time because its alot to take in using a double hand setup if you've never done it before. Again get in contact with John norris of penrith. Tell them you are fishing the wear and are looking for a setup of 12ft-13ft rod reel line backing and poly leaders they will sort you for sure mate....any problems drop me a PM
Or there’s my J B Walker 9’ split cane with bent top ( ex 1957 ), Hardy Perfect Trout and a Kingfisher No 2 silk. To float: more grease; to sink - clean the line or part of. So simple. Which planet have you youngsters moved to ?

Last edited:

SteveG

Reaction score
Or there’s my J B Walker 9’ split cane with bent top ( ex 1957 ), Hardy Perfect Trout and a Kingfisher No 2 silk. Which planet have you youngsters moved to ?
Youngsters 😂 😂

Maggy

Reaction score
I haven't had my coffee yet all good fun hehe...BTW the rod would be a collection item £££
I’ve my dads‘s old Milward’s 9’ trout too, mean old basket kept the best gear for himself. Most of this stuff is junk now. Pick it up for coppers at auctions. As you say, we’ve moved on. But the advantage was you could travel light and cover miles of water.

SteveG

Reaction score
I haven't had my coffee yet all good fun hehe...BTW the rod would be a collection item £££
I always like to see everyone’s different views on fishing gear, I was sea fishing last night surrounded by Century men telling each other how great century rods are and the greatest built rods known to man, while zziplex rods go soft and there was me saying to a lad with a one of the new Sonik rods that it was a nice looking piece of kit and what did he think of it 😂

each to their own I suppose