Which 3D Lines?

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a 30 gram(ish) 3D type of F/I/Sinking type of shooting head for my 12 and 13 foot rods. I caught my first salmon in 2020 on a RIO SSVT with fast sinking tip, however, I am convinced that my fly was still high over the fish in deeper water. I have read the advantages of shooting heads with a 3d sinking profile, but wanted your honest opinion on what to buy? I have 5ft/8ft/10ft polyleaders and 15ft tips as well, but would like a graded shooting head to help it get down.
What are your thoughts on what to buy? There are loads out there!
Cheers everyone!

Bruino

Reaction score
Have been using RIO F/H/I 34g head on my 13ft 6inch Zephrus rated 7/8 with various density 5ft polyleaders in high water along with small heavy tubes.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I guess I want a shorter line to be honest for the 12 and 13 footers. Certainly the Rio SSVT flies out of them. Also, whilst fishing the Tweed this year, there were a lot of circumstances where I was wading with trees and high banks right behind me. The shorter line really meant I didn't have to worry about the back cast.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
You don’t say what weight of like you’re after, but depending on the weight of the SSVT, you should be able to get away with T-tips off your current body. Or you could add a Super Fast Poly to your current set up.

I’d be surprised if the Scandi F/H/I & a Poly is fishing much deeper than the SSVT with a Type 6 tip - it might fish slower though.

The Guideline 4D body at about 24ft might meet your needs & allow you to use the SSVT tips too.

Guideline 4D

Another (cheaper) option would be to buy the Rio Intermediate Scandi Body at 23ft

Or you could look at the Airflo Rage H/I, at around 33ft which can take Super Fast polys and gets flies down in fairly strong flows.

There are probably lots of other ways of achieving the same ends.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
You don’t say what weight of like you’re after, but depending on the weight of the SSVT, you should be able to get away with T-tips off your current body. Or you could add a Super Fast Poly to your current set up.

I’d be surprised if the Scandi F/H/I & a Poly is fishing much deeper than the SSVT with a Type 6 tip - it might fish slower though.

The Guideline 4D body at about 24ft might meet your needs & allow you to use the SSVT tips too.

Guideline 4D

Another (cheaper) option would be to buy the Rio Intermediate Scandi Body at 23ft

Or you could look at the Airflo Rage H/I, at around 33ft which can take Super Fast polys and gets flies down in fairly strong flows.

There are probably lots of other ways of achieving the same ends.
Great response thanks. My rod is rated at 31g. I have a rage on my 14ft and boy does it go. As I've already got loads of polys, the Rage H/I would be a great choice. Shorter head and with a 10ft poly should go down quick.

An issue I have with fishing with really heavy tips is hingeing. Also lifting off V.Fast tips at the end of the swing.

After watching countless videos, the 3D lines would transition from top to bottom and remove the hingeing effect, allowing easier pick up for recasting. Or that was the impression...... anyway

bankwheel

Reaction score
Do Mackenzie do these 3D heads also ?
They do but they start at 38g, I know I'm biased but the Salmologic shooting heads are some of the best out there both the Logic and Short Cut heads are excellent for smaller rods, they are thinner than most and don't have as much weight at the rear taper, therefore don't need as much power in the forward stroke to keep them airialised. They also are in weights from 16g to 34g at roughly 2 to 3g intervals.

Richardgw

Reaction score
I regularly use a Rio Scandi Intermediate body on my 13ft rod and not only does it gain extra depth but, because the whole of the line get under the surface current, it slows down the swing. There are also the advantages that your existing SSVT tips will balance perfectly and the body being the same weight and profile of your floating SSVT body, will perform in a similar manner.

My impression is the back end of my 9 weight Intermediate Scandi body sinks to about 1ft at the hang down whilst the front end can be pulled deeper depending on the sink rate of tip, weight of fly and strength of current.

I also find it very useful for presentation in those quietly moving holding pools in Summer when the intermediate body with an intermediate tip will avoid the line wake associated when hand lining a floater whilst staying off the bottom. In these conditions I fish small light plastic tubes which have a life of their own (most important) in barely moving water.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Great response thanks. My rod is rated at 31g. I have a rage on my 14ft and boy does it go. As I've already got loads of polys, the Rage H/I would be a great choice. Shorter head and with a 10ft poly should go down quick.

An issue I have with fishing with really heavy tips is hingeing. Also lifting off V.Fast tips at the end of the swing.

After watching countless videos, the 3D lines would transition from top to bottom and remove the hingeing effect, allowing easier pick up for recasting. Or that was the impression...... anyway

I think the Rage H/I is available in 480g or 540g (34g) - that’s the one I have.

I haven’t done a lot of sunk line fishing, but the 3/4D heads are a lot easier to lift & control than single density lines. They certainly feel nicer than a Skagit

Just to throw a further spanner in the works😂. You could also get a lighter Airflo Skagit FIST (say 420g) and fish either T material, or 10 /15ft scandi single or double density tips.

It’s a minefield and I’m not sure I’m helping. 😂😂Personally I like my Guideline compact, so Od be temped by the 4D body. They’re pricey though and if you aren’t looking for the flexibility of the Guideline system the Salmologic heads look very interesting.

pfeul

Reaction score
Just to throw a further spanner in the works😂. You could also get a lighter Airflo Skagit FIST (say 420g) and fish either T material, or 10 /15ft scandi single or double density tips.
That's the option I would dig in. A rio skagit gamechanger 6 wt F/I/S1 is 400 grains and 23 ft long. Add your 8wt ssvt 10ft tip S1 or S2 (109 grains) and you get a short 33 ft F/H/S1/S2 head

You can also try to get a rio scandi body 8wt 400 grains on ebay (there are some on US ebay stores)

Silverdream

Reaction score
If really want to go down it is maybe better to but a "real" sinking head, like old style grain heads were. I still use them if I want to go down fast or slow the drift on fast current..
3D lines are okay for going down, when using bellies which are like int-3-5 and using sink 4-6 tip on them, depending of course which kind pool you are fishing..

Pleul said this already, but I continue this bit more..;
Many angler here in North uses Rio Game Changer. It is easy to cast and lift, and it turns over pretty well with every kind of tips. It is sold as Skagit belly, but I use it "under weighed".
For example on my 14 foot Asquith I have 450 grain F-H-I belly and I use 9 gram 15 foot sink 3-5 tip on it, having 38 gram/ 11,5 meter head. Works wonderfully. Easy turn over, easy lift, lands nicely and it have power to straighten longer leader also. It drift well and stays soft in cold weather. This is important...
On my 15 foot Asquith I have GC 500 grain F-H-I / 7 meters, and with this I use 18 feet/12 gram tips having 44 gram/12,4 meter total.
Extremely good combo. With lighter belly and longer tip I can have more line speed, which helps me to have tighter loops and good turn over. My fav tips are 2-4 and 4-6 on this.
The original question was about the shorter rods, but I believe same rules works with them also.

Last edited:

rotenone

Reaction score
Too me the modern skagit heads are the way forward, when fished close to the Scandinavian rating of the rod they offer the perfect solution. The gamechanger is nice but my favourite is the nextcast zone , with the added tip it become a 3d powerful taper for windy conditions and big flies.
a 400 nextcast zone plus rio 15 foot 7wt tips would be a smart choice or go with a heavier body and a lighter tip

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Airflo skagit F.I.S.T with 15ft T tips/polys
Hi sneakypeter, I didn't know this line existed to be honest. Sounds good. If I can use my SSVT tips on it, then is would be a great choice I feel.
Sooooo many options........

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Hi sneakypeter, I didn't know this line existed to be honest. Sounds good. If I can use my SSVT tips on it, then is would be a great choice I feel.
Sooooo many options........
Hi Geordieboy, I have used all sorts of sinking tips with it and it just works, heavy T18 to standard sinking poly,s, big ,heavy flies to unweighted, just seems to have the all round ability to cope with most scenarios, especially deep water and heavy flows in spring, but also shallower sections with an intermediate tip.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
As it happens, I think I will get a one of these for my 14ft rod for big flies and windy days. I will also get the Airflo Rage Compact H/I for my 13ft rod. That then is me sorted.
I can use my existing poly's and also my SSVT tips on both if need be. As the F.I.S.T. is so short it should be easy enough to lift off and cast at the end of the swing.
Thanks to everyone here for a bit more de-mystifying of the Scandi/3D conundrum. As a Newbie to salmon fishing all of your help has been great for me.

bankwheel

Reaction score
I have a couple of Rage Hover heads if you want them, I will look at the sizes and let you know

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I've found a RIO Skagit iFlight 500grain nice and cheap. Not sure if it will be too heavy for my Vision GT4 Catapult? Its rated at 31grams. 500 grains comes out at 32.3grams? Any ideas Salmon hunters?