Where was I today.

Reaction score
How about this one ibm59. Where am I and what am I looking at? Should be an easy one for you. I suppose at least Canna is on view on the other one too.
Don't know about the lug Chicharito but there will be less of the cod. The rest of the area won't have changed too much.

View attachment 40897

Attachments

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Tried that Chicharito and it seems to only display half the photo. Maybe too big. Anyway not to worry thanks for the help.
Sometimes best to copy to Paint Shop Pro and resize to 800 x 600 or thereabouts then save to your desktop as a Jpeg.
Always works for me.
The suspense is killing me. Hurry up.:)

Reaction score
Yes indeed I am looking at the paps of Jura. Well done flyfifer. Just one question remaining what island am I on? That's my kayak camping wine glass. I drink from a much more delicate one when home :).

ibm59

Reaction score
Yes indeed I am looking at the paps of Jura. Well done flyfifer. Just one question remaining what island am I on? That's my kayak camping wine glass. I drink from a much more delicate one when home :).
Colonsay ?

ibm59

Reaction score
How about this one ibm59. Where am I and what am I looking at? Should be an easy one for you. I suppose at least Canna is on view on the other one too.
Don't know about the lug Chicharito but there will be less of the cod. The rest of the area won't have changed too much.

View attachment 40897
Canna , and one other.
In fairness , I didn’t notice the last until I blew the photo up a bit. 😉

keirstream

Reaction score
Mibees Gigha?
Thats far enough to go offshore with a kayak anyway.:nod:

Reaction score
Very well done Keirstream. It's Gigha indeed. Sitting on the twin beaches. Fantastic place. Water was fresh for swimming and the fishing was average. Plenty of deep water but only very small cod for me.
An amazing little island to explore though.

IMG_20180607_130519.jpg

Reaction score
Canna , and one other.
In fairness , I didn’t notice the last until I blew the photo up a bit. 😉
I'm on my phone now but I'm trying to imagine the angle you were coming from. Would you get a glimpse of Soay from there? I'm stumped if not. Have explored those waters from the sea a fair few years ago. I'm due a refresh maybe 2020. Trying to coincide fair weather with me being off work isn't always easy :).

ibm59

Reaction score
I'm on my phone now but I'm trying to imagine the angle you were coming from. Would you get a glimpse of Soay from there? I'm stumped if not. Have explored those waters from the sea a fair few years ago. I'm due a refresh maybe 2020. Trying to coincide fair weather with me being off work isn't always easy :).
Almost out of shot on the left horizon , you can just make out one of the hazy peaks on South Uist.
Not absolutely sure which , but it could be the one which looms over Lochboisdale itself.

Air has been clear up here these last few days , and it’s been quite possible to see either side of the Minch from the middle and beyond most during most daylight hours.

The course we were on takes us between Hyskier to the west , and Canna / Humla Rock to the east before turning towards Lochboisdale.
Quite an exposed stretch of water , as you’ll know , and one that’s seldom as kind as it has been over the last few days.

I’ve seen tuna in these waters in warmer months.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Very well done Keirstream. It's Gigha indeed. Sitting on the twin beaches. Fantastic place. Water was fresh for swimming and the fishing was average. Plenty of deep water but only very small cod for me.

View attachment 40909
I think I will have to put Gigha on my must visit list. Just been googling it and it sounds great. Fairly dog friendly too. Any more info from the forum would be great!

Reaction score
I think I will have to put Gigha on my must visit list. Just been googling it and it sounds great. Fairly dog friendly too. Any more info from the forum would be great!
Gigha is wonderful. The boathouse is great for food too. Don't know how many of the islands you have explored but Barra/ Vatersay is probably my favourite. Not many trout lochs but the people, beaches etc are superb. There is one loch on Barra that I really enjoy fishing. Also very fond of little Eriskay. I have been known to spend some time in the 'Politician' there.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Gigha is wonderful. The boathouse is great for food too. Don't know how many of the islands you have explored but Barra/ Vatersay is probably my favourite. Not many trout lochs but the people, beaches etc are superb. There is one loch on Barra that I really enjoy fishing. Also very fond of little Eriskay. I have been known to spend some time in the 'Politician' there.
Only been to Mull and Harris and Lewis. Fancy visiting a smaller more intimate island like Gigha.
Already booked Lewis again for next year, but may try and fit in Gigha as well.

Reaction score
Almost out of shot on the left horizon , you can just make out one of the hazy peaks on South Uist.
Not absolutely sure which , but it could be the one which looms over Lochboisdale itself.

Air has been clear up here these last few days , and it’s been quite possible to see either side of the Minch from the middle and beyond most during most daylight hours.

The course we were on takes us between Hyskier to the west , and Canna / Humla Rock to the east before turning towards Lochboisdale.
Quite an exposed stretch of water , as you’ll know , and one that’s seldom as kind as it has been over the last few days.

Thank you for this post. Very interesting stuff. The light at this time if year is just perfect. Best time for photography. It's very interesting to hear of tuna turning up in greater numbers. I'm just off to look further at the course you take. Nice thread thanks for sharing.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score

Tuna were spotted jumping just off Tiumpan Head mid month.

Reaction score
Yes rs2ford it's a great place to kill time. Photo from this summer before being treated to a great evening with the Vatersay boys playing in the community hall at the beach.

IMG_20190801_161502.jpg

A little Barra hill Loch brownie. Roll on spring :D.

IMG_20190801_100006.jpg

Last edited:

rs2ford

Reaction score
Yes rs2ford it's a great place to kill time. Photo from this summer before being treated to a great evening with the Vatersay boys playing in the community hall at the beach.

View attachment 40932

A little Barra hill Loch brownie. Roll on spring :D.

View attachment 40933
I am going to see the Vatersay Boys at the Barrowlands on December 6th. Always a good night.
Best Lochs for fishing are Loch na Duin, Tangusdale or Scotageary on the East side.
Cheers Diarmid.

HMarquis

Reaction score

View attachment 40909
Amazing little island. I have connections with Gigha however have not been to visit in several years. As well as the sea fishing there is also a small loch on the island which I think may have trout? There is a cast of one in the hotel caught from the loch many years ago (5/6 lbs I'm sure)

Chicharito

Reaction score
Tuna were spotted jumping just off Tiumpan Head mid month.
They seem to be cropping up all over! Been plenty off the Scillies especially last year when they were showing off St. Mary's. Wasn't lucky enough to see them myself. Might need a bigger rod when I next visit Lewis and the Scillies next year.!

ibm59

Reaction score
The peak peeking up from the freezing fog is Ben Cruachan , and the water is salt.