Where to spin

Alfie1108

Reaction score
Hi there new to this.. Just wondering if anyone knows where you are allowed to spin on the tweed I've always thought that spinning was frowned upon and not allowed but I've been reading some comments and seeing it's not true does anyone have any contact details for permits around the Galashiels.peebles area thanks

Meldon9

Reaction score
For some illogical reason low water spinning is frowned on by many rivers/owners when spinning small lures on light tackle in low water is skill full and effective, a bit like upstream work on fly rods.

But then the fly only zealots/snobs will castigate you for even mentioning worm or spinner!!

Try asking them the difference between a huge tube fly and a rapala or toby and they get a bit stuck....

ArchieL

Reaction score
For some illogical reason low water spinning is frowned on by many rivers/owners when spinning small lures on light tackle in low water is skill full and effective, a bit like upstream work on fly rods.

But then the fly only zealots/snobs will castigate you for even mentioning worm or spinner!!

Try asking them the difference between a huge tube fly and a rapala or toby and they get a bit stuck....
I have never seen why almost all the beats on the Spey, Tweed , Dee do not allow spinning ? Dont see what is wrong in fishing 12lb nylon and small mepps in low water , Remember the same fly only brigade are ripping big sunrays through pools during low water trying to stir up the residents. Is there any difference in this to working a small Rapala on light tackle. I always thought Beats could set aside a couple of pools (Slow & Deep) and allocate these for spinning or fly as you may find out fishermen would visit more with their young kids or older fishermen who are no longer fit for fly fishing. That is the reason i fish the Tay as i can fish what i want depending on the conditions. I prefer fishing the fly but my young son has no interest in spending a day with me with the big fly rods on fly only beats. Tell him i will ghillie for him and he will be spinning and you can see the excitement in his face. IMHO the Tay Ghillies are excellent at letting the younger boys have a cast with the spinning rods and there are even a few who have told me that my young son and nephew can fish a rod to themselves all day as long as they stick to the pools i am allocated. Salmon fishing is like an apprenticeship and spinning IMO is like year 1 for the younger rods to learn about the pools and casting and fishing etiquette . We all know that once they are older then they will progress & develop into fly fishers. Not all young anglers have access to cracking fly water where they can learn to fly fish.

If you seen the Fishpal video on Cargill with DG and the new hut and him talking about the future and guests turning up with wifes or kids or old fathers and them being able to spend the day in the hut or walking the beat whilst their other party members fish. I see this as a very posotive step forward as my father likes to come for a day out but not fish due to his back problems. You never know with this predicted recession on the way beats may be a bit more flexible trying to get bookings as people will be choosing their fishing wisely when money is tight like is being predicted. The busy beats and dead mans shoes beats will stay the same fly only but i think a few will start relaxing rules soon.

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score

I would say that low water mepping with dinking them about under trees and swimming them into known holds etc takes as much skill as using the fly rod at times. Same with the floating devon minnow, it looks easy untill you give it a try in a rocky pool.
I really enjoy summer mepping, spotting fish and trying to swing a size 1 mepp across its nose without spooking it is great fun. Youve still got to control distance speed and depth same as the fly.
The casting may be easier but then again so is casting the fly rod once youve got the muscle memory.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

simonjh98

Reaction score
Low water spinning methods are probably the highlight of my salmon fishing season, and I am an avid fly fisherman so it takes a lot to say that! I don't understand the narcissistic view some have about spinning. When all the other fly anglers are sitting at home because 'the water is too low' i'm sitting and crawling on high banks on my hands and knees trying not to spook the resident fish in one of the very few residential lays in my area . I'm often throwing out 3cm rapala's most of the day, but if I don't get a reaction quick ill change up my retrieve speed, the depth or go up to a rapala countdown 7cm instead.

2018 we had an absolutely horrendous drought here on the Foyle System during the world cup, but luckily we had good water during all of May and Just the start of June so we managed to get a decent number of MSW fish into the river system and a good amount of grilse also before the drought struck.

I would wake up at 4am every morning in July and head down to a throw called 'the piggery' which can only be described as a massive deep hole in a normally shallow river. Normally a tricky place to get fish out of because it is relatively featureless but it is one of the only safe places for a fish to lay within around 1km of this location. The shear depth of the pool gives the fish the protection they need. Luckily this area was holding an enormous amount of fish , and I only saw 2 other fishermen the entire month of fishing it.

July 2nd I took a notion the night before to go over and try the pool in the morning. I headed over at around 4.30am and started at the head of the pool with a 3cm rapala countdown brown trout lure hoping there would be a fish in it . 2nd cast and I had the first fish landed, a small 3lb grilse already showing the autumn colours. Another 5 or 6 casts later I had another fish this time a very clean henfish about 8lb. It went quiet for another 10 minutes and then I hooked another fish but lost it after it came to the surface initially. I came to the very end of the pool and was hit again by a lovely 9lb Coloured fish which I landed. It started to get very bright after this So I went back home for the morning. 4 fish hooked and 3 landed in around 1 hour and 10 minutes. I went home, back to sleep and woke up and watched Belgium vs Japan in the football. The football ended at around 9pm and I went back over to the pool again for the last hour before dark. I hooked and landed another 2 fish totalling 5 landed for the day .

I didn't have any other days with high numbers of fish, but most days I went down I got a reaction at least. I landed a total of 19 fish for July , all from the same pool with a wide variety of rapala countdowns. Unfortunately 2 other anglers were on the same page as me and were also coming down every morning, so the fish got very spooky at the end of the month and got very challenging. Presumably most of the fish in the pool were accustomed to our lures by then, and the majority of taking fish had been hooked.

Thankfully it's a 2 minute walk from my house , so I'm blessed with having such a place to fish on my doorstep!