Where to buy rod building parts?

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m going to be helping a pal who’s planning on building a rod and would like to know where the best place is to buy all the parts from please. We are looking for an Alps reel seat and handle for a small 2 hander and will need decent eyes too. I’ve the pleasure of owning a few custom rods from RJ customs and wondered about sourcing some of the nice coloured sections in the cork also. Any help will be most appreciated. Cheers

liphook

Reaction score
Also take a look in the FFF sister site in the rod building section as a good gent by the name of Lewis Chessmen has put together a list of suppliers from around Europe. Guides and Blanks is the retail site of Hopkins and Holloway by the way. I use RRT and Taniwha where possible but will use Mud holeand others in the USA if it's a big enough order and I can wait a bit

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
A friend of mine who lives in Germany built me a rod using a CTS blank. They are based in New Zealand. It is an exceptional rod and one of only 2 in the world. He Christened it the 'Blindmanstik' as it is white in colour. Obviously other coloured blanks are available. They are really cheap too.

tenet

Reaction score
Last edited:

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I knocked up this list of European fly rod building suppliers on the UKFFF only last week. Hope it helps.

I'll recommend Hi-Level as they tend to have a wide variety of stock all in the one place. My last order took 6 days from Sweden to the Hebrides, so not bad.
Thanks for that. That’s an amazing list of suppliers you have put together. Cheers. I’m struggling to find an alps reel seat. Only ones I could see were on eBay from America and I would presume I would need to pay tax on it?

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Thanks for that. That’s an amazing list of suppliers you have put together. Cheers. I’m struggling to find an alps reel seat. Only ones I could see were on eBay from America and I would presume I would need to pay tax on it?

Here is a link to Alps in Taiwan. Every item I have ever imported from America I have been absolutely clobbered on with VAT and import duty. I have yet to be charged duty or VAT on anything I have ever brought in from either Japan or China and I have brought quite a bit of stuff in. The sad unfortunate thing is you don't really know until you try. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

ALPS ROD COMPONENTS

liphook

Reaction score
A friend of mine who lives in Germany built me a rod using a CTS blank. They are based in New Zealand. It is an exceptional rod and one of only 2 in the world. He Christened it the 'Blindmanstik' as it is white in colour. Obviously other coloured blanks are available. They are really cheap too.

I'm very keen to hear about your cheap source of CTS blanks Perry! Drop me a PM if you prefer. Cheers

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score

Try either of the Swedish suppliers - both carry some Alps seats. Also, Rodhouse in France carry others in the Alps range.

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score

Try either of the Swedish suppliers - both carry some Alps seats. Also, Rodhouse in France carry other seats in the Alps range.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Turns out the boy I bought the blank off of is Ross from RJ. He’s offered to supply the parts we need. Top bloke. Thanks for all your help. We are going to build this rod as a 15th birthday present for my young lad who started fishing last season. I will try to post up about our progress but posting pics is a pain in the ass with an I phone.
Cheers

Sk8ter

Reaction score
That's a great list of suppliers - thank you!
Blanks such as the ones used for Meiser MKX 15' #10, Gaelforce etc - are any of these blanks available through suppliers like Hi-Level in Sweden ?