When should you fish a sink tip for salmon

Stuart1108

Reaction score
It has worked so far, so why not?
I only offer alternative ideas for you to thankyou I've fished alot for trout with the fly this has been first season I've fished for the salmon more with the fly than with the spinner so tips is appreciated

cloner

Reaction score
For me, pretty much never.

For me, pretty much all the time 😊 😁 And not only a sink tip by usually a full sinking line. If fish are active and in abundance you can fish a floater. But what if there are not? Then you have to present the fly closer to their noses IMHO.

Rennie

Reaction score
Answering the O/P's thread here, there's two reasons to fish any form of sink tip ( thats a dedicated one pice sink tip, a multi tip or a poly tip off a floater ) and thats to fish the flee down to a certain depth or to prevent a flee from fishing too deeply.
Considering how run patterns are in this day and age, we seem to rely on the late spring/early summer fish and when conditions are right and fish are running, they do that, they're not overly willing to go steady or at times even stop.
So we need to be acutely aware of how deep our flee is actually fishing, even with a tapered leader and tippet, couple that with a slim maybe sparsely dressed never mind heavy flee we might be passing underneath running fish!. Fish will rise to a flee quite willingly at times, but they won't go down for one, in fact it's doubtful if they'll see yer flee if it's below them.
It's not all about getting down n dirty, but also about fishing to the appropriate depth and that could be shallower than one thinks.
I often use Floating and Hover polys to prevent my flee from getting too deep, they hold up the back part of the leader arrangement, prevent the flee from getting too deep. A Hover poly is one of my little secret's to keep a flee shallow.
I suggest a little experimentation with various set ups and flee's, develop a base setting, so you know how deep your std. set up fishes, only then can you go from there.
Most leaders the length of the rod and a slim tied double hooked flee will fish pretty much the same as an Inty poly. trust me, there are times that can be too deep.
If you're seeing plenty of fish showing on a good water and not getting an offer, I'd suggest fishing higher still, let the fish see your flee!.
Pedro.

Loxie

Reaction score
For me, pretty much all the time 😊 😁 And not only a sink tip by usually a full sinking line. If fish are active and in abundance you can fish a floater. But what if there are not? Then you have to present the fly closer to their noses IMHO.
I almost never fish a floater either!

bankwheel

Reaction score
Answering the O/P's thread here, there's two reasons to fish any form of sink tip ( thats a dedicated one pice sink tip, a multi tip or a poly tip off a floater ) and thats to fish the flee down to a certain depth or to prevent a flee from fishing too deeply.
Considering how run patterns are in this day and age, we seem to rely on the late spring/early summer fish and when conditions are right and fish are running, they do that, they're not overly willing to go steady or at times even stop.
So we need to be acutely aware of how deep our flee is actually fishing, even with a tapered leader and tippet, couple that with a slim maybe sparsely dressed never mind heavy flee we might be passing underneath running fish!. Fish will rise to a flee quite willingly at times, but they won't go down for one, in fact it's doubtful if they'll see yer flee if it's below them.
It's not all about getting down n dirty, but also about fishing to the appropriate depth and that could be shallower than one thinks.
I often use Floating and Hover polys to prevent my flee from getting too deep, they hold up the back part of the leader arrangement, prevent the flee from getting too deep. A Hover poly is one of my little secret's to keep a flee shallow.
I suggest a little experimentation with various set ups and flee's, develop a base setting, so you know how deep your std. set up fishes, only then can you go from there.
Most leaders the length of the rod and a slim tied double hooked flee will fish pretty much the same as an Inty poly. trust me, there are times that can be too deep.
If you're seeing plenty of fish showing on a good water and not getting an offer, I'd suggest fishing higher still, let the fish see your flee!.
Pedro.
Interesting Pedro, over the last few years in times of lowish water, I have witnessed Salmon running in some of the pools on the Findhorn. When they enter pools and make their way through normally around walking pace they are right on the bottom not near the surface, I have see grilse in bigger water going through much faster and they are closer to the surface but still at a decent depth. Don’t think I have ever seen Salmon really close to the top when running. I’m not saying they don’t it’s just that I have never witnessed it.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Only time i ever fish without one is the odd time i use long taperd leaders in sunmer on the switch rod. Most of the time ill have a sink tip even if its a custom polyleader trimmed down to 18 inches for low water.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I always use a weighted tip. Normally intermediate. 2.6 inch per sec or 3.9 are my most used ones. Either in 5ft for single handers or 10ft for 2 handers.
even with a weighted fly and inty or sink tip you would be amazed at just how close your fly is to the surface in normal flow.