When should you fish a sink tip for salmon

Stuart1108

Reaction score
I've fished the full year with only a 10 ft leader on small spate river
When should I put a sink tip on is it needed or is a full floating line and a fly ok hight is 0.3 to 0.6 running water thanks in advance

keirstream

Reaction score
On a small spate river if you are swinging a floater you can simply use a heavier fly in a spate,
It's a common mistake to go too deep.
I fish spate rivers all the time now with a slow inty main line/inty tip BUT, I move
the fly fast all the time so the fly is generally just inches under the surface.

Last edited:

Cascade

Reaction score
Even small spate rivers can have deeper holding pools where a sink tip is needed to get down when the water is coloured, or when you need to swing a fly across their noses.
A 5' fast sink polyleader with a copper tube fly can get you down 2' or 3'

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
On a small spate river if you are swinging a floater you can simply use a heavier fly in a spate,
It's a common mistake to go too deep.
I fish spate rivers all the time now with a slow inty main line/inty tip BUT, I move
the fly fast all the time so the fly is generally just inches under the surface.
How do you fare with this method keirstream? Are you fishing lure patterns like this (monkeys sunray etc) as well as shrimp patterns

lax0341

Reaction score
I would fish a sink tip in a spate river only in the circumstances when the water is high and coloured or in the mornings after a really cold night. Otherwise an intermediate or a floating tip.

Rennie

Reaction score
Look to the air/water temperature relationship in the 1st instance. Bear in mind, its a lot warmer at the current time of year nowadays than it ever used to be. By now, we'd have falling temperatures, frosty nights, colder water in the river as well as increasing levels of leaves too!.
Thing is, put a sink tip line on, you're stuck with it, a multi tip or a floater and polys. give you the chance to change if needed.
I personally am more and more disinclined to fish my flee deeper than I absolutely have to!
Don't lock your self into fishing at certain depth, adapt as you go if you need to!.
Pedro.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
A sink tip line is really all that anyone used on my river. I had it drummed into me from I picked up my first salmon rod at the age of about 14 that I had to use a sink tip line. I was also told I couldn't fish fly in low water by the way. 🙄

So, anytime there was fishable water in the river, I'd be battering away with the sink tip. I remember fishing one day in lovely water in the middle of summer and hadn't had a touch. A wee boy of around 10 years old was down with a trout rod and floating line and had hooked and lost 6. I don't think I had the sink tip line on a rod after that.

Floating lines and polyleaders cover the bulk of my fishing now. in bigger water, I will use slow intermediate.

I personally have no need for a sink tip line now. However, there are still those on the river who fish with nothing else. There must have been some sale of the Cortland peach/brown sink tip lines in these parts. This despite the river being shallower and having less flow than 10 to 15 years ago. I don't know how they can be annoyed snagging the bottom so often.

keirstream

Reaction score
How do you fare with this method keirstream? Are you fishing lure patterns like this (monkeys sunray etc) as well as shrimp patterns
Pretty well really.
Since end June I've had 33 salmon and apart from the ones high sticking a hitch (also on a slow sink inty B.T.W.) everything has been on wee tubes fast F.O.8.ing or mini monkeys fast stripping.(y)

RUSH

Reaction score
Pretty well really.
Since end June I've had 33 salmon and apart from the ones high sticking a hitch (also on a slow sink inty B.T.W.) everything has been on wee tubes fast F.O.8.ing or mini monkeys fast stripping.(y)
Spinning with a fly rod then ? 😉😁

keirstream

Reaction score
I personally have no need for a sink tip line now. However, there are still those on the river who fish with nothing else. There must have been some sale of the Cortland peach/brown sink tip lines in these parts. This despite the river being shallower and having less flow than 10 to 15 years ago. I don't know how they can be annoyed snagging the bottom so often.
I continue to be surprised at the amount of anglers I still see fishing down and across waiting for something to happen and catching nothing other than the bottom.
They shuffle down a pool at funereal pace whilst I, given a free run, am through it like a dose of salts nowadays.
I can't be ars*d with slow fishers.:(

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I continue to be surprised at the amount of anglers I still see fishing down and across waiting for something to happen and catching nothing other than the bottom.
They shuffle down a pool at funereal pace whilst I, given a free run, am through it like a dose of salts nowadays.
I can't be ars*d with slow fishers.:(

Stay away from my river then! 🤦‍♂️

Seeing folk casting 45 degrees in a dead calm pool and waiting to the line straigtens below them isn't exactly a speedy process.

keirstream

Reaction score
Stay away from my river then! 🤦‍♂️

Seeing folk casting 45 degrees in a dead calm pool and waiting to the line straigtens below them isn't exactly a speedy process.
I will Jockie, thanks for the heads up.(y)
Irish lads can be a tad touchy if a blow in from the mainland asks to fish through them.
My bent nose is testament to that.:ROFLMAO:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I will Jockie, thanks for the heads up.(y)
Irish lads can be a tad touchy if a blow in from the mainland asks to fish through them.
My bent nose is testament to that.:ROFLMAO:

All blow ins on my river now. The locals can barely get a line cast through them. Or get parked at their houses.

midgydug

Reaction score
Pretty well really.
What was your initial thinking when you made the change to an Int main line. Its obviously worked for you.

keirstream

Reaction score

bankwheel

Reaction score
I very rarely use a floating line unless I’m hitching, nearly all wet fly fishing is done on a sinking line but I do constantly move the flee.

keirstream

Reaction score
What was your initial thinking when you made the change to an Int main line. Its obviously worked for you.
Mows I think also made the point on one of the threads that the clear slow inty would possibly cause much less of a shadow than a floating line ripping through a low water pool.

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Mows I think also made the point on one of the threads that the clear slow inty would possibly cause much less of a shadow than a floating line ripping through a low water pool.
So a floating line with a intermediate tip 3 to 4 ft of tippet and a small tube is fine for most small river fishing

S.preston

Reaction score
So a floating line with a intermediate tip 3 to 4 ft of tippet and a small tube is fine for most small river fishing
Everything has its day , I don't think theirs a universal set up that works everywhere but keep ringing the changes and you'll be on the right track

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Tbh, along with a full slow inty it's my go to line... I've currently 2 of the Wychwood sink tips in my bag.. both have about 10ft of roughly 1.5ips sink tip. 1 is uncut and for night fly, the other has about 2 or 3ft lopped off and around 5 to 7ft fast sink polyleader attached to it for fishing spates during the day..