What's this 'Hunting and Shooting' stuff got to do with Salmon Fishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
There are many fieldsports enthusiasts that enjoy hunting and shooting in the winter months when salmon fishing is out of season.

There used to be some interesting stuff in this section of the forum in the past with a lot of talk of gun dog training and field trialling etc.

It hasn't been too active in recent times.

Some of the threads that Crispin started about his Woodcock days. He is a professional photographer and the pictures along with his greatcway with words, you could almost feel the cold in the air and smell the gun smoke on a cold November day. Great reading.

Obviously it wasn't for everyone and there were threads in it I didn't particularly enjoy myself, but each to their own and all that.

With both my dogs now over 10 years old and me not having done any beating or rough shooting for a good few years now, I probably don't have the same interest in this section of the forum as I once had, but that's just me. 🙂

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Hunting, shooting and fishing, all fieldsports. Obviously, some are only interested or take part in one or other but many have an interest or take part in all.

I personally can’t get my head round the logic that hooking a fish in the mouth, then playing it in, whether it is returned to the water, or knocked on the head, is in some way less cruel than anyone shooting a pigeon, deer or pheasant. It’s all a form of hunting at the end of the day.

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
Hunting, shooting and fishing, all fieldsports. Obviously, some are only interested or take part in one or other but many have an interest or take part in all.

I personally can’t get my head round the logic that hooking a fish in the mouth, then playing it in, whether it is returned to the water, or knocked on the head, is in some way less cruel than anyone shooting a pigeon, deer or pheasant. It’s all a form of hunting at the end of the day.
A salmon or a trout or any fish has a choice on whether to take a fly or lure, wild animals do not choose to get lead shot at high speed in their general direction.

You are right in one sense that an animal shot is put out of its misery as with C&R could easily be regarded as cruelty by those that do not fish.

Loxie

Reaction score
A salmon or a trout or any fish has a choice on whether to take a fly or lure, wild animals do not choose to get lead shot at high speed in their general direction.

You are right in one sense that an animal shot is put out of its misery as with C&R could easily be regarded as cruelty by those that do not fish.
I'm not sure the fish see it as a choice to take a lure!

kramdrazzi

Generally, I’m sloshed.
Reaction score
Surely the clue is in the title of this forum?

Don't hunters and shooters have their own online forums?
I would much rather see threads about other fieldsports on a fishing forum than threads about COVID-19 (I can’t imagine there are many fieldsports threads on medical forums - but I am probably wrong; I usually am!). Being the eclectic, open-minded, non-judgmental and accepting bunch we are however (🥴), we have both on here. I choose to read the stuff that interests me and ignore anything that doesn’t - if you don’t want to read the threads on hunting/hooting then don’t.

As for a fish choosing to take a fly and a pigeon not choosing to fly into a decoy pattern..........😂😂😂😂........bugger, my sides have just split.

But to answer the original question: Yes, they/we do.

Last edited:

meyre

Reaction score
Down on the Wye we've wild boar, muntjac, sitka, roe, elk, bears, lynx and apparently panthers and something called smilodon..... fishing blends into hunting in no time whatsoever...especially since Natural Resources Wales encouraged everyone to tip all their unwanted farm-side manure onto the land so terminating the recovery of salar . So when one's tired of spey casting in the algal sludge , it's down with the rod and up with the gun. One's got to eat ! So Sunset and Waders come on down don't be softies . We love our wild things and they love the Marches, you will too!
Now where's me hounds...?
Btw
Wild boar...delicious. Remington 7600 with expanding round or perhaps a R8 Blaser fast bolt.
Don't worry about our vineyards nor orchards. Both have / had survived happily alongside sus scrofa . It's the golf courses that might suffer and perhaps potato fields!
BTW these pig-rotovators are great soil regenerators and bracken suppressors...must get a few!

Status
Not open for further replies.