What would you consider a 'good season'?

ballintemple

Reaction score
When I started salmon fishing here in Ireland in the 80s, an early July week on the Erriff was prime time, and with good water gave a great chance of a few grilse. I went back for sentimental (and Covid) reasons for a couple of days this July and had one pull for a couple of days effort. The reported big runs into Irish rivers missed the Erriff. That now sums up Irish salmon fishing for me - hope rather than expectation.

I also coarse fish, mainly on the Hampshire Avon and Dorset Stour nowadays. And there, fishing for species like chub is excellent, as is fishing elsewhere for stillwater species. I know there are lots of reasons given for this - anglers baiting etc. But to me that fact that cypranids thrive in warm water, and salmon don't, is a good place to start looking for data and reasons to explain the current situation.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
An average season is maybe 50 a good season is 75 this year has been the best and most fish I've seen in ten years
Aye thats cause you fish just about every day and drive all over the country chasing silver. Lucky bugger. The fact you know your stuff and are a jammy b@stard helps too :LOL:

Reactions: Jas

Pompero

Reaction score
To fish and be outdoors as much as possible and at least two trips with my grandfather
Fish a new river and catch a salmon there
Land at least a fish on a dead drifted dry fly
Catch a fish in my home river in 1) a new pool 2) on a new fly/new method
Catch some artic chars

rubberwellie

Reaction score
It’s difficult to say what would constitute a good season anymore. This season has been pretty dreadful overall on the Lomond system.

I haven’t hooked a salmon all season despite putting the hours in which will be a first for me if I don’t get one in the last few weeks.

Unfortunately I know several other experienced fishermen who are in the same boat with not a fish hooked in 10-20 trips and counting. Very few anglers have caught more than a fish or two and those that have managed it can generally put in two or three days midweek during the best part of the season. It started off not too bad after lockdown but since the first summer spate it’s been shockingly poor.

I’m worried for what the future holds.

Kype King

Reaction score
Ive had a good season uk for me considering I couldn't travel re-covid for a lot of it, sitting at twenty landed from 3 solway rivers both sides of the border, only six of which were grilse, just fishing with the hope of something being there enhances the day, as someone said above its not all about the catch but there's not much fun from an empty river :)

Completely agree Happy Days! It's soul destroying flogging a water you are pretty sure holds no fish - you want to feel that you at least have a chance of catching one!

Richardgw

Reaction score
Fishing the Wye (above Monmouth) until June and thereafter the Usk I would regard 10 salmon as a decent return. But these last couple of years have been very poor. On my home beats on the Wye at Ross the fishing has been dreadful as it has everywhere on the Wye above Monmouth.

Lockdown lost us the best 8 weeks of the season when given the conditions we can get amongst the big 3 sea winter fish. And for once we had the conditions with a steadily falling water but were not allowed to fish. It was a similar story for the Usk – not allowed then no water so no point.

After all that moaning I have at least managed 2 landed from 4 hooked which is better than many Wye rods who don’t have access to the exclusive beats below Monmouth.

Richardgw

Reaction score
It's not bad, but it's my first season on the fly, so bit of a challenge!
I've seen the videos and the terrain - not easy - overhead or single spey with full sunk lines. Double spey with that amount of bankside growth and no wading (below neck depth) no chance.

From 50+ years of salmon and sea trout fishing I am still learning. What I've found is things repeat. You catch a fish in such a way in such a place at such a time, at such a water height and hey ho it happens again seasons later. A few instances memorable instances come to mind.

Looking at the videos I know how I would start in those sort of rivers. If its right I don't know but would develop my techniques from my experience (trial and error) to meet the circumstances.

My advice is just to keep trying (and keep you net handy). Keep thinking, outside the box, try things and if necessary make changes and it will happen and when it does you will learn which will come back to help you in the future.

Tight lines

sgellert

Reaction score
Yeah it has indeed been a challenge and very steep learning curve.
I've had a guide showing me the ropes now and then, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something right ;)
Everyone that convinced me to start flyfishing last year said it would be tough and expensive, they were absolutely spot on!
But during sprees of great casts in a nice environment and a friend like this, it's still worth it:
OI000025.JPG

IMG_20200712_205652.jpg

goosander

Reaction score
After a summer of excellent fishing on the majority of Irish, Scottish and English rivers with people calling it the 'Best year in years',

What actually defines a good season? How many salmon per season to your net personally would you consider a good year or fish landed by a beat?

It would be interesting to hear people's views on the topic from different parts of the UK and further, Every river system is different !

Do you consider this to be a standout season in short memory?
Excellent season on Scottish rivers ?? Go back 20 years and lets know what river is excellent. Our river is having its worst season in over 40 years.
Bob.

hairyscotsman

Reaction score
I'm with Pete above - will be happy if I even land a fish this year. Certainly the worst I've even known.

Lock down didn't help as we probably missed the bulk of any run, however even then the rivers I fish were on their bones and have pretty much stayed that way since.

However, even twice when I hit our wee spate river right, they just weren't there.

They were there the first time Andy....;)

OURTREV

Reaction score
It's great to hear from your successful anglers with all your fish. Thankfully you all have not had to fish the bloody Wye. My success has been that I have seen a couple of fish. Absolutely dire. In order we've had floods then Covid then algal bloom then no water then no fish. We will not reach 400 for the whole River. Why do we carry on? Lockdown has made us all mad! :oops:

K MacC

Reaction score
I have had a good season by my standards 18 salmon for 10 days fishing including one at 20lbs and a few doubles. I would definitely say the more time your fly / lure is in the water the better chance you have. Hopefully the weather will improve and I will get out a few more times before the end of the season.

nickolas

Reaction score
If your lucky enough to live near by a river that holds a decent number of fish and can fish it just at the perfect time your chances are very high, however your chances on catching a number of fish in the UK booking up months in advance is like winning the lottery. First have a job or no job that allows you to fish at the drop of a hat, wait for that perfect time and catch fish, its not rocket science. I have driven at night 12 hours travel with zero hours notice to catch the river right in the morning.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
If your lucky enough to live near by a river that holds a decent number of fish and can fish it just at the perfect time your chances are very high, however your chances on catching a number of fish in the UK booking up months in advance is like winning the lottery. First have a job or no job that allows you to fish at the drop of a hat, wait for that perfect time and catch fish, its not rocket science. I have driven at night 12 hours travel with zero hours notice to catch the river right in the morning.
I'm lucky enough to be in a position to drop and go and have 3 beats 40 mins away and have had a terrible season. Lack of water has only been beaten by lack of fish. Plenty effort, catching the rivers perfect height. I've managed to loose 2 salmon thats it other than the grilse I caught up Helmsdale oh and a fish harling but that doesn't count.

Jockiescott

Reaction score

My river is 100 yards from my back door, which I can fish day and night, 7 days a week for the entire season, many times in the nicest water imaginable.

None of this matters if the entire seasons fish have run through by the end of July and nothing comes behind it.

Stuart1108

Reaction score
I've had 3 salmon in the 8 years ive fished for them 1 diseased 1 farmed and 1 a bar of silver and perfect id be happy for a few more for the money and effort I put in so this 30 to 50 is a bad season id bite hands off for haha