What would you consider a 'good season'?

Kype King

Reaction score
I fished the Conon, the Spey, the Findhorn and the Cassley last week and had nary a tug! 10 years ago I’d have been tearing my hair out but now I‘m content to be in such beautiful surroundings with my friends. My best mate had two, which I was delighted with as he doesn’t get to fish much - I genuinely get as much pleasure seeing someone else catch a fish as I do from getting one myself. On the other hand I caught three in three outings on the stretch of the Usk that I fish throughout the season - prompting my better half to enquire as to why I bother going all the way to Scotland, spending all that money, not to catch any fish - she doesn’t understand that fishing isn’t all about catching fish!! With the amount I fish I’d consider it a good season if I got into double figures!

Heero

Reaction score
I am with Ard. The older I get, the less numbers or size of fish makes any difference to me.

For instance, Ill take a 20 mile hike in the mountains to an alpine lake and no fish over a day in the drift boat with 100 trout 10 times out of 10. It is about the experience, and, if possible, the adventure, for me, not the end result.

Mabb

Reaction score
Hooked 12 and landed 6, so happy enough. All caught in July, haven’t had a pull since then ?

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
A good season results in a lot of fish on the redds. The weather can dictate if it is a productive angling season or not, regardless of the number of fish in the rivers and lochs.
Most of us on Lewis caught a lot of fish in June and July. It has been good when the weather was favourable since then.
I heard (and read the score sheet too) that the Conon (full of fish) picked up very well over the last two weeks after the water was turned back on.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Only fished 8 days on the Avon, hooked 3 one day, landing 2, both nice doubles, unfortunately the 3rd fell off after 10minutes, still gutted as it was a beast and that was my season, Covid has really messed up my season and no doubt many other anglers, lets hope it just goes away (fat chance!!!!) and next season returns to normality!

marty31

Reaction score
As someone who is probably one of the "younger generation" and who you would consider not to have seen a good season I'm wondering how good things were in the 90s? What would have made a good season then? Not that I am doubting you at all, just wondering how good the good old days were in comparison to now...

jamie
50-60 normall

westie4566

Reaction score
50-60 normall
Aye, Marty, spot on there. Mid 50's was my annual average until the late noughties. Steadily gone down the pan since then. September used to be a great month with 4/5 fish a day the norm if there was decent water. Aye and nae kipper bashing either, fresh fish throughout the month and into October, with licer's possible right to closing day.

This pic is a licer from the South Esk 9 years ago this week

Arrat.jpg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Aye, Marty, spot on there. Mid 50's was my annual average until the late noughties. Steadily gone down the pan since then. September used to be a great month with 4/5 fish a day the norm if there was decent water. Aye and nae kipper bashing either, fresh fish throughout the month and into October, with licer's possible right to closing day.

This pic is a licer from the South Esk 9 years ago this week

View attachment 50248

That's the type of September fish I long for!

I remember going to the river one evening after work in September around 2002 and landing two in a few casts. They were like carbon copies of each other with sea lice on both.

Yes, you got the odd coloured fish but you knew there were plenty like those above to keep at it. Now, you are targeting coloured fish from now on and it just isn't the same for me.

I'm content enough that I know the July run should see the river doing well, spawning wise, this winter. That's the most important thing of all for me.

westie4566

Reaction score
That's the type of September fish I long for!

I remember going to the river one evening after work in September around 2002 and landing two in a few casts. They were like carbon copies of each other with sea lice on both.

Yes, you got the odd coloured fish but you knew there were plenty like those above to keep at it. Now, you are targeting coloured fish from now on and it just isn't the same for me.

I'm content enough that I know the July run should see the river doing well, spawning wise, this winter. That's the most important thing of all for me.
The spawning potential is all we can hope for now - and things ain't been great this year round our neck of the woods,

My season feels 'over' and has never really begun tbh. I've a day on the Dee next Monday that's been long arranged. Other than that, if we get some water finally then I may go out. However, the thought of fishing over turned off kippers just doesn't appeal.

wormo

Reaction score
As someone who is probably one of the "younger generation" and who you would consider not to have seen a good season I'm wondering how good things were in the 90s? What would have made a good season then? Not that I am doubting you at all, just wondering how good the good old days were in comparison to now...

jamie
As JS says even up to 2010 ish you could experience fish running in good water September/October from dawn til dusk , literally hundreds of fish passing by for hours , big thick bars of sea liced silver , it was a sight indeed now people get excited if they see half a dozen in a few hours
the backend was looked forward to with at least one week kept back for holiday in October, now I just wouldn't waste my time, its gotten almost like fishing in early spring , minus the kelts
my main river is the forth which in those days I'd have put up against any beat in Scotland for numbers

Jockiescott

Reaction score
The spawning potential is all we can hope for now - and things ain't been great this year round our neck of the woods,

My season feels 'over' and has never really begun tbh. I've a day on the Dee next Monday that's been long arranged. Other than that, if we get some water finally then I may go out. However, the thought of fishing over turned off kippers just doesn't appeal.

That's pretty much where I'm at myself. I've accepted that my season's over but might get an hour or two if I get water I like.

I'm in no rush out I can assure you.

westie4566

Reaction score
That's pretty much where I'm at myself. I've accepted that my season's over but might get an hour or two if I get water I like.

I'm in no rush out I can assure you.
I know where you're coming from JS.

Nae real sign of any water anytime soon here so things will probably be 'self limiting'.

Mind you, it's only a handful of years, in the grand scheme of my fishing career. since we did get fresh fish on both Esks right up to closing day and that 'muscle memory' still burns strong. It's only 6 years since my last tide fresh, late September South Esk fish. One lives in hope.

I've a new rod and reel that ain't even seen water yet!! :confused:

keirstream

Reaction score
As JS says even up to 2010 ish you could experience fish running in good water September/October from dawn til dusk , literally hundreds of fish passing by for hours , big thick bars of sea liced silver , it was a sight indeed now people get excited if they see half a dozen in a few hours
the backend was looked forward to with at least one week kept back for holiday in October, now I just wouldn't waste my time, its gotten almost like fishing in early spring , minus the kelts
my main river is the forth which in those days I'd have put up against any beat in Scotland for numbers

Absolutely spot on.
Last Wednesday on Keir the water was running at 2ft 3in, briefly up to 2ft 5in and dropping, spotlessly clean.
Up to 2013 that would have been carnage with constant streams of big silver autumn fish moving through regardless of the tide times.
Last Wednesday?
Well, apart from an old river fish landed I saw 4 other dirty wee fish all day.
It was, as you say, like a bad day in the Spring.:(

westie4566

Reaction score
So all this begs the question, will it ever come back around to days like that ?

Jamie
Sadly, I doubt it Jamie.

Yes, we will continue to have better years, but the baseline for better is shrinking over time. For example this year has been better on some rivers but others have totally missed out.

In the 'good old days', all the rivers got decent runs all year round, dependant on whether they were then known as spring, summer or back end rivers.
I may sound like I'm 80 odd...I'm 'only' 54! Caught my first fish aged 8 and what I saw running rivers from then on until about 20 years ago would melt the minds of most of the younger generation of anglers. I regularly giggle when I see the young 'uns posting in late October that they've had a great season...when they've landed 12 all year! That used to be a bloody good day or a reasonable week. For example my best day ever was 16 salmon and 2 seatrout!!

Mind you, even then folk were bemoaning the lack of fish after the UDN outbreaks in the late 60's early 70's. I'd happily go back to those days of 'lack' of fish. (y)

Stevieob76

Reaction score
Lots of members expecting 50 + fish. Think my best season was 30 and most of them were kippers. With work and commitments I could only dream of 50. Have had one wee grilse this year. 4 or 5 with one clean boy would be a good year for me. Am in a syndicate and fish a lot on East Coast.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Aye that's pretty much it Westie.

I was chatting to a younger chap one day last year at the river who was telling me that "... The fish were showing thick".

I asked him how many he'd seen. "Aww I musta seen 5 or 6", was his reply. I then asked him if he'd been out long and he told me he'd been out since 6am. It was around 1pm I was chatting to him. ?‍♂️

I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Stevieob76

Reaction score
Aye that's pretty much it Westie.

I was chatting to a younger chap one day last year at the river who was telling me that "... The fish were showing thick".

I asked him how many he'd seen. "Aww I musta seen 5 or 6", was his reply. I then asked him if he'd been out long and he told me he'd been out since 6am. It was around 1pm I was chatting to him. ?‍♂️

I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry!
Wee syndicate I am on I must have seen one fish show this year. Used to hold loads of fish but are all bombing through.

westie4566

Reaction score
Lots of members expecting 50 + fish. Think my best season was 30 and most of them were kippers. With work and commitments I could only dream of 50. Have had one wee grilse this year. 4 or 5 with one clean boy would be a good year for me. Am in a syndicate and fish a lot on East Coast.
I don't know how old you are Stevie or how long you've been fishing, however none of the old school are 'expecting; 50 a year anymore, just remembering what an average season used to be for most - and that was just the regular 'jobbing' angler who fitted his/hers fishing around life and work.

It's sad how thing have gone in a such a relatively short period of time. As ever mankinds fingerprints are as all over the demise of salmon as much as any other species on this planet!

Stevieob76

Reaction score
I don't know how old you are Stevie or how long you've been fishing, however none of the old school are 'expecting; 50 a year anymore, just remembering what an average season used to be for most - and that was just the regular 'jobbing' angler who fitted his/hers fishing around life and work.

It's sad how thing have gone in a such a relatively short period of time. As ever mankinds fingerprints are as all over the demise of salmon as much as any other species on this planet!
Am 43. Fished for salmon from a young age. Was a ghillie on findhorn at 18. Love salmon? know things aren't what they used to be but some folks are still catching good numbers

Stevieob76

Reaction score

lefthandup

Reaction score
I get much more of s buzz catching fish from ly's I haven't caught from before .
On my local I see the same folk hitting the same pools every time there's a good lift...I find it kinda sad especially when there's loads of water to go at.

I also like fishing new rivers or ones I don't get to fish that often..a few pointers taken but mainly exploring it for myself..(that takes me back to my early days) and I find that makes more of an adventure.

Then there's fishing abroad...much more important to me now that trying to get my numbers up on rivers here...thus I spend less so I can have the money to do that....it's the best move I've ever made fishing wise.

I said on an earlier post that I'd had an awful season...I should really retract that when I look back on it....it's not been that bad TBH.

Finglas

Reaction score
Sadly, I doubt it Jamie.

Yes, we will continue to have better years, but the baseline for better is shrinking over time. For example this year has been better on some rivers but others have totally missed out.

In the 'good old days', all the rivers got decent runs all year round, dependant on whether they were then known as spring, summer or back end rivers.
I may sound like I'm 80 odd...I'm 'only' 54! Caught my first fish aged 8 and what I saw running rivers from then on until about 20 years ago would melt the minds of most of the younger generation of anglers. I regularly giggle when I see the young 'uns posting in late October that they've had a great season...when they've landed 12 all year! That used to be a bloody good day or a reasonable week. For example my best day ever was 16 salmon and 2 seatrout!!

Mind you, even then folk were bemoaning the lack of fish after the UDN outbreaks in the late 60's early 70's. I'd happily go back to those days of 'lack' of fish. (y)

16 fish in a day is incredible when you think about it really. More like rainbow trout fishing haha!

I remember being a young teen and fishing between 2005 and 2010 and there was a lot more fish being caught. In some instances the beat we tend to fish was getting what now is a months catches in just a day back then.

What is tough to take now is when the river is in perfect condition. Nice rise earlier in the week and looking forward to saturday all week only to go down and get no touches on all the known lies, even lucky if you see a fish really these days. Hard going!

Everyone talks about it being about more than just fishing, which is true imo, it is but at the end of the day we all go fishing to catch fish!

Jamie

happy days

Reaction score
Ive had a good season uk for me considering I couldn't travel re-covid for a lot of it, sitting at twenty landed from 3 solway rivers both sides of the border, only six of which were grilse, just fishing with the hope of something being there enhances the day, as someone said above its not all about the catch but there's not much fun from an empty river :)