What type of water do you avoid fishing?

acerspader

Reaction score
Was reading fishing magazine about salmon lies lately.

When I started fishing I would try and cover as much water as possible on my local river. But I probably catch most of my fish in about 20 per cent of the pools or sections of pools I fish (not this year I might add!!)

Got me me thinking.

Loxie

Reaction score
Was reading fishing magazine about salmon lies lately.

When I started fishing I would try and cover as much water as possible on my local river. But I probably catch most of my fish in about 20 per cent of the pools or sections of pools I fish (not this year I might add!!)

Got me me thinking.

Local knowledge really makes all the difference. Even if you are good at reading water you will often miss some less obvious lies. Personally I generally concentrate on the best taking lies and ignore everything else, Except I do spend time looking for new taking lies as well.

Loxie

Reaction score
It does remind me of a friend of mine fishing the Tweed. He was on a good beat at prime time. At the start of the day he asked the ghillie where the best taking lies were. The ghillie, whose attitude was not uncommon at that Time on the Tweed, told him to start at the top of the pool and work his way down. My friend explained he understood the process but wanted to know where the lies were. The ghillie repeated his instruction to start here and work down to there. At lunch my friend returned to the hut with 10 good salmon. The ghillie asked him where he caught all those fish to which he replied he started here and fished his way down to there....

Oscar

Reaction score
I tend to avoid pools which others flock to and which have therefore been flogged - Comlifoot on the Thurso being a case in point.

Also pools with next to no flow. I don’t mind canal type water (again think Thurso, Beat 5 or the Erriff Upper Beat 2) but it needs some ‘pull’ through it.

Oscar.

Scierra

Reaction score
Shallow flowing pools,
Pools with no fish present
Combat fishing pools,
Snaggy pools,
Rocky mountain goat pools,
Unaccessable gorge pools,
Canal pools that don't hold fish

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Water that is so deep that a large spinning lure with additional weight couldn't reach the bottom.

I'm not a fan of shooting heads and heavy sink tips so I find fish in water conducive to fly fishing as it was when I was introduced to it.

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
Pools next to huts unless during a spate, if the water is low these generally hold a lot of fish that often get pounded for 12+ hours a day.

Slow sluggish water without a wave, a light ripple is not enough, it has to be blowing big time.

And the Tweed

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
It depends on the weather at the time and water temperatures. With the fly, very slow, deep pools unless it’s very cold.
Shallow, fast flowing water in bright sunshine and high water temperatures.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Only water i really avoid is water with bad acsess which usualy means its not productive anyway.
Anglers will find a way to cut steps or ladders into a pool if it holds fish.
Also theres 1 beat on my local river that i dont bother with as it involves walking along goat tracks with a 15 foot drop into the river which is fine if its dry. If it rains when you are down there then you are knackerd for getting back.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

lax0341

Reaction score
Pools they look dead , have no flow and are very deep. Also pools where the wading is too dangerous.
All other options depends of the time of the day and how many people have fished the pool before me on a special day.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I can see logic in both ways of approaching the river.

I know people, especially those who spin but not exclusively, that peg the lie (or where they hooked a fish before) and then run to the next pool and do the same and then onto the next one and so on and so on. They get fish but that is their only reason for going to the river so they go home disappointed, and knackered, more often than not.

Others prefer to get into the river at one point and not get out of it again, if possible, until they've covered as much distance of the river as possible. If there are fish moving through, you have more chance of catching them if your lure is in the water and not running between pools. But, again, there is no guarantee that you'll have more success than the guy running between lies.

So, the type of water to avoid is very much depended on the person fishing.

I just stick now to places that are easy to get in and out of, have decent wading and are close to my home. If I go to the river and it is busy, I'll just leave it till it quietens a bit.

JoeE

Reaction score
I hate combat fishing. I just can't stand it as etiquette seems to be very much lacking these days. So I go off the beaten track like mountain goat or a lightly fished beat, and Ill fish any pool that I think a fish will stop in. Been playing out well so far, fly in the water means more fish.

Mattytree

Reaction score
I try and fish anything really if I have a day on it. I can see logic in both ways of approaching the river.
I know people, especially those who spin but not exclusively, that peg the lie (or where they hooked a fish before) and then run to the next pool and do the same and then onto the next one and so on and so on. They get fish but that is their only reason for going to the river so they go home disappointed, and knackered, more often than not.

Others prefer to get into the river at one point and not get out of it again, if possible, until they've covered as much distance of the river as possible. If there are fish moving through, you have more chance of catching them if your lure is in the water and not running between pools. But, again, there is no guarantee that you'll have more success than the guy running between lies.

So, the type of water to avoid is very much depended on the person fishing.

I just stick now to places that are easy to get in and out of, have decent wading and are close to my home. If I go to the river and it is busy, I'll just leave it till it quietens a bit.
Think I'm the second person you describe there....to me I definitely enjoy the slow walk down , trying to find new in fished lies than a race and hammer the best spots style... more unpredictable and definitely the best chance of catching.

acerspader

Reaction score
Local knowledge really makes all the difference. Even if you are good at reading water you will often miss some less obvious lies. Personally I generally concentrate on the best taking lies and ignore everything else, Except I do spend time looking for new taking lies as well.
I used to be a local on the Moy. Now I'm the Irish guy in the UK!! I fished in Iceland once and was amazed how concentrated the fish were in certain locations and then there would me huge lengths of river without a single fish.

Rennie

Reaction score
I have to say, pools or streams that are too shallow! and I know of more than a few, low water they're obviously a waste, high water, too fast and when the waters bob on, nothing ever holds there.
I also know of a few stretch's that defy description, fish must pass through them!, but they never hold or produce fish, the flow's never right, bankings awkward, low water simply dead, high water a torrent, no features, just a chanel of water for fish to swim through.
Then I know of one gorgeous looking bit of water, a lovely pot in a long shallow stretch, when you take a look at it your interest is raised, it looks the part. depths right, flee fishes itself. It's right out of the centre spread of "The Boys Book of Salmon Pools", it looks absolutely bob on.There's only me that fishes it, every one else walks past it because, " it's a waste of time", ' It never holds fish" and "no one ever catches from it".Do you know they're all right as I can't get a knock in there! and I'm blowed if I can understand why!.
Pedro.