What the hell is Skagit?

Bonito

Reaction score
Alan, Skagit is a method whereby you stick a thick lump or rope onto your reel with the sole purpose of breaking your average rod tip.

Has about as much use in fishing as a Sinclair C5 had in driving.

kramdrazzi

Generally, I’m sloshed.
Reaction score
Skagit is a miserable sod, usually not very likeable, who likes The Selecter and The Hotknives. They often have a skinhead and also like 2tone bands like The Specials! :p;)...........You also have to be of a certain age to both be one and understand what the hell I am blithering on about!!

kramdrazzi

Generally, I’m sloshed.
Reaction score
Tweedledum and Tweedledee in the video don't like Ska by the way - they are far too serious!

Springer

Reaction score
Alan, Skagit is a method whereby you stick a thick lump or rope onto your reel with the sole purpose of breaking your average rod tip.

Has about as much use in fishing as a Sinclair C5 had in driving.

I get the impression you are a bit of a traditionalist Stan, in which case we will rarely agree, then again, each to his own! :)

Bonito

Reaction score
I get the impression you are a bit of a traditionalist Stan, in which case we will rarely agree, then again, each to his own! :)

But if some of us don`t maintain traditions then soon there will be no traditions left (I know what I mean to say :cool:)

D

Deleted member 1812

Well for those that don't know it's a river in that runs through the Skagit Valley which lies in the state of Washington,USA. Its defining feature is of course 'Skagit River'.
I think I might come up with a form of Spey Casting and call it "Humber"
named after a muddy old river that flows through Grimsby and into the north sea past Hull.
Mmmm..Doesn't have the same ring about it.It'll never catch on.
Another point of interest is that the Skagit River flows through a town called "Concrete". I can't imagine I'll ever go there for my holidays:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dryfly

Reaction score
Skagit is a miserable sod, usually not very likeable, who likes The Selecter and The Hotknives. They often have a skinhead and also like 2tone bands like The Specials! :p;)...........You also have to be of a certain age to both be one and understand what the hell I am blithering on about!!

Happy days :D

Loxie

Reaction score

Poooor?
Me Israelite!

Loxie

Reaction score
But the girls are so plenty, they so fat and look healthy.

(Smolt)

Reaction score
I suspect that these guys are using somewhat lighter Skagit setups then what is more commonly used, owing to how they calculate their line weight (basically the body of the line should equal the rods casting weight - this excludes the t-tips) and also their casting style (in the forward stroke) is quite short snappy and compact, that's my observation anyway. Cheers to the Skagit pioneers!

mc andy

Reaction score
I suspect that these guys are using somewhat lighter Skagit setups then what is more commonly used, owing to how they calculate their line weight (basically the body of the line should equal the rods casting weight - this excludes the t-tips) and also their casting style (in the forward stroke) is quite short snappy and compact, that's my observation anyway. Cheers to the Skagit pioneers!

I thought all skagit lines exclude the weight of tips :confused: casting style is irrelevant. NO?

(Smolt)

Reaction score
I thought all skagit lines exclude the weight of tips :confused: casting style is irrelevant. NO?

I mean that in relation to the rods casting window, they don't advocate to going beyond the casting weight of a 31 gram shooting head (a 31 gram skagit) Shooting head line total is 31 grams, Skagit body is 31 grams. I don't know enough about guessing a Skagit to suit a rod as I have not got an experience with it. Its just the first time I have heard this method of matching a Skagit to a rod. But again, its my observation, open for interpretation and discussion.

addni

Reaction score
There is actually a style called Humber already. It's the one where you toss the rod in the water and head off to the pub.