What new gear do you want for 2020?

Rennie

Reaction score
Well crimbo wasn't good to me at all, so anything new, I'm going to have to go get for myself!.
One thing I do want and would even say need, is a good retaining band for holding my sunglass's safe.I'm not good with glare at all and being a Migraine sufferer good sunglass's are a must for me, often even in low light situations.Many years back I spent serious Wonga on a class pair of sun giggs with a yellow lens and serious polarising capabilities.I'd be gutted to ever loose them(come close once or twice!) as they really do give you a "flipping 'ell" moment when you put them on and look at the water!.
So something as simple as a retainer band!.Would like a soft fit neoprene one, big enough to go over my cap n lug 'oles, secure to keep my glass's safe oh and cheap too(well I am a Tyke after all!).I've had loads of the "headmaster type", where the glass's are held by a loop at the end of a Nylon cord, but well they're just one step up from useless!.My current neoprene one is worn out!, but so far can I find another(that I won't have to re- mortgage the house for?), er not yet any way.
Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Well crimbo wasn't good to me at all, so anything new, I'm going to have to go get for myself!.
One thing I do want and would even say need, is a good retaining band for holding my sunglass's safe.I'm not good with glare at all and being a Migraine sufferer good sunglass's are a must for me, often even in low light situations.Many years back I spent serious Wonga on a class pair of sun giggs with a yellow lens and serious polarising capabilities.I'd be gutted to ever loose them(come close once or twice!) as they really do give you a "flipping 'ell" moment when you put them on and look at the water!.
So something as simple as a retainer band!.Would like a soft fit neoprene one, big enough to go over my cap n lug 'oles, secure to keep my glass's safe oh and cheap too(well I am a Tyke after all!).I've had loads of the "headmaster type", where the glass's are held by a loop at the end of a Nylon cord, but well they're just one step up from useless!.My current neoprene one is worn out!, but so far can I find another(that I won't have to re- mortgage the house for?), er not yet any way.
Pedro.
This one works for me, you can pull the toggle thingy up abit if you put the glasses on your hat so it keeps them tight.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

budge

Reaction score
Pretty much got all I need for the new season, including a new rod and line
I bought a switch rod last year along with a lightweight reel and a rather expensive rio line that was supposed to be "spot on". It turned out the line was way too heavy for the rod when I came to try it out.
I have only just got round to sorting the problem, but I came up with the perfect solution. New lighter Barrio switch line to suit the rod, and a new twelve foot rod to suit the rio line! I even managed to convince the Mrs it was the only way out Just need a couple of hours ont ribble to try them out now.
Still haven't sorted the tubefly storage out though

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Sorry to gloat Rennie but I got:

- The collapsible Snowbee wading stick - Thanks to MCX for the idea.
- The Guideline Compact multi tip line from Mrs Knollington.
- C&F Tubefly box - Again thanks to MCX, this time his Christmas list.

Then I stopped at Grahams and JN and bought another eight seasons worth of hooks.

What Id like now is a chest pack. I just want something I can wear that keeps my stuff out of the water when deep wading. Tried a few at JN and I think the Snowbee lightweight one looks like best VFM for me. I’ll save that until the next trip up north.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
To be honest I'm pretty happy with the 3 set ups that I have for salmon so no need to change anything, I'm pretty much good to go 🎣 , I am looking for a new reel for the trout so that and a few bit's and bob's to get and I'm ready for that also

allysshrimp

Reaction score
To be honest I don't really need anything, like every other Xmas though I alway's get my own Pressie. This years gift to myself was a Danielsson L5W 6/9, that and some lines. The previous 2 years were reels as well. ;)

Rrrr

Reaction score
Nothing much really as im happy with mysetups at the moment. Got a mcleans weigh net from ebay just because it was going cheap even though i dont really need it. Bid on a 15ft bruce and walker powerlite on ebay and was outbid at the last second on it, same again, i dont need one but it was going cheap and would have got some use on the tyne but not as if i needed it as i use my 13 footer with no issues and havent user a 15 in years.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Looking for a reel for my loop cross 12’ i have the classic 7/9 but can’t get on with it at all ,i was thinking of the daniellson control 7twelve would it be suitable for this rod or has anyone any suggestions .

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of getting a 12 footer for big water on my river. I love my switch setup but have this idea in my head that a 12 footer would handle sinking lines and bigger tubes better than my switch outfit.

Unfortunately I'm as miserable as sin and hate the thought of spending a lot of money on a rod that will get very little use. Also, 12 footers seem to be like hens teeth these days with Switch rods seemingly covering the shorter rods then everything is 13 foot and above and too big for my small river.

I'll still be thinking about buying a 12 footer this time next year probably! :doh: :lol:

mc andy

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of getting a 12 footer for big water on my river. I love my switch setup but have this idea in my head that a 12 footer would handle sinking lines and bigger tubes better than my switch outfit.

Unfortunately I'm as miserable as sin and hate the thought of spending a lot of money on a rod that will get very little use. Also, 12 footers seem to be like hens teeth these days with Switch rods seemingly covering the shorter rods then everything is 13 foot and above and too big for my small river.

I'll still be thinking about buying a 12 footer this time next year probably! :doh: :lol:
Problem solved! :thumb:Screenshot_20200103_184247_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Problem solved! :thumb:View attachment 41565
The only reason I haven't bought 9ne of those is that I have the oracle switch rod and tried switch lines on it and wasn't all that happy with it.

After the season ended I tried a 34g Rio AFS through the oracle and it flew out. I'm tempted to try some of my heavier lines on the oracle at the start of next season and then tell myself it's a small double hander. :redface:

Probably end up snapping it in bits. :(

Last edited:

simoncassidy

Reaction score
I want the Postman to hurry up with my new 15'9 NT8, I think I might need some 4D lines for it :help:

westie4566

Reaction score
Totally happy with all my set ups, so no need to change anything on that front. (I must remind myself NOT to pick up any of my friends outfits this year as that usually works out expensive:doh::nod:)

Only things on the horizon are new waders, well that's much closer than the horizon as I'm fishing 5 weeks today. Will see What Diver Dave has and failing anything there (I have stupidly long legs!!!) then it'll be Ikons again. Still looking for a spare spool for my 11/12 Golden Prince. Sod's Law dictates that there were quiet a few new boxed ones on ebay when I bought it - not seen one since.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Looking for a reel for my loop cross 12’ i have the classic 7/9 but can’t get on with it at all ,i was thinking of the daniellson control 7twelve would it be suitable for this rod or has anyone any suggestions .
Danielsson L5W 8twelve is a perfect match for both balance and size. You will not find a better reel for the money.
Cheers Diarmid.

riffled hitch

Reaction score
I'm happy enough with what I already own, and what I received as xmas presents.

What I would like is a pair of breathable chest waders that last more than one season that will not break the bank.

Chicharito

Reaction score

There may be a few Grey's GR70 12ft rods still available. With a bit of haggling you should be able to get one for less than £200. Not bad for what is basically a Hardy Swift mk II.

westie4566

Reaction score
I'm happy enough with what I already own, and what I received as xmas presents.

What I would like is a pair of breathable chest waders that last more than one season that will not break the bank.
There's always that one that want's the impossible!:lol::lol::nod::thumb:

...I know what you mean mind. That's a market that Trading Standards should be all over. The vast majority of the products on offer are simply not fit for purpose. I don't care if that's £800 Simm's or bargain basement cheapies. Yeah, some get amazing wear out of x y z brand, however if we did a straw poll on here alone we'd find that those are in the minority.

Funnily enough, the best lasting breathables I ever owned (many moons ago) were the early cheapy Bison's. Those first one's they made were spot on and tough as old boots.

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
There's always that one that want's the impossible!:lol::lol::nod::thumb:

...I know what you mean mind. That's a market that Trading Standards should be all over. The vast majority of the products on offer are simply not fit for purpose. I don't care if that's £800 Simm's or bargain basement cheapies. Yeah, some get amazing wear out of x y z brand, however if we did a straw poll on here alone we'd find that those are in the minority.

Funnily enough, the best lasting breathables I ever owned (many moons ago) were the early cheapy Bison's. Those first one's they made were spot on and tough as old boots.
I still have a pair of them andy :nod: my mate uses them now on the very odd occasion that he comes out fishing these day's, only had one small leak on them on the left knee where he nelt on a thistle, fantastic for the price that was paid

RUSH

Reaction score
The only reason I haven't bought 9ne of those is that I have the oracle switch rod and tried switch lines on it and wasn't all that happy with it.

After the season ended I tried a 34g Rio AFS through the oracle and it flew out. I'm tempted to try some of my heavier lines on the oracle at the start of next season and then tell myself it's a small double hander. :redface:

Probably end up snapping it in bits. :(
If it’s the 8/9 oracle switch I use mine as a small double hander paired with a barrio 8/9 30.5g great combination I only spey cast with it

keirstream

Reaction score
My set up exactly.
With a 30g Gaelforce integrated head of course.
6 licers one morning in July.
It just works.:thumb::thumb:

GetFileAttachment-1.jpg