What is fast?

OURTREV

Reaction score
I often see the advice that it is best to fish a pool quickly and not take forever to move slowly down the pool whether fly fishing or spinning. I feel I fish slowly but don't think I am fishing properly unless I fish the pool thoroughly.
I don't often get other anglers behind me so it is difficult for me to judge how fast I'm going. What is the opinion out there, how fast is fast??? 🐌🐌🐌

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
One mans fast is anothers slow. Personally I am a quick fisher.

To quote a saying I was told when I was a young lad and still wet around the ears. "Better to fish a pool twice quickly than once slowly"

The benefits of two quick runs down a pool is being able to apply different tactics on each run down the pool.

I often find myself during the late spring & summer months having a quick super fast fish with a sunray or a hitch to see what reaction I get and target fish throughout the pool, Then I try something a little more conventional second time down, it is a tactic that has proved very successful for me over the years.

nickolas

Reaction score
Many years ago my mate and I had to catch a ferry,so time was running out on a spate, so we decided to back up a slow bit of water, we stood 20 feet apart chucked the fly out square and walked up stream about half a dozen steps and then chucked the fly out again, we had about 20 minuets before the ferry and landed 3 fish. Up to you but there’s never a too fast.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Ourtrev mate,do this and your fine, So go to the top of the beat with your fly rod ok,cast down and over at 45 degrees,do that 3 times,then walk down 2 or 3 yards. Same again,so on and so fourth,that way you’re covering all the water perfectly at a reasonable speed,but not taking all day to do it. Now if there’s a fish there you’ll definitely 100% cover it,now it’s a matter or not, if the fish goes for it or not,but at least your on it, so cast 3 times,let the fly swing,then figure of 8 it back to you at the end of the swing,no bites,move down another 10 feet ,repeat,your on to a winner 👍

Rennie

Reaction score
I can see the benefits of fishing fast and giving the fish a fast presentation.
Now, I'm not a fast fisher, I like to fish carefully, quietly, stealthily (where I can!) and like to make sure any fish see my flee 1st before they know I'm there, I'm not overkeen on causing disturbance or letting any fish see my fly line before the flee.I tend to fish between 45 and 60 deg. angle on my cast, I don't like to mend unless I absolutely have to ( air mends apart!) if I need to impart speed I tend to go for a F08 retrieve or lead with the rod point.Area's or hot spots I know to hold fish or be productive I like to get my flee and leader only in them 1st pass through a pool/stream.
If I have water to myself, I like to think I've made as little impact on the water as possible with a view to a relatively undisturbed 2nd pass through.
A second pass may see me with more aggressive techniques, but also it could see me imparting yet more stealth if I feel I have to.
Some of the late Hugh Falkus's words have had a great impact on me in that "your best encounter with a Salmon, is your first", no truer words ever spoken I feel.
None of the above means I've got grow bags on each foot!, I'll move at least 3 big steps between casts and I don't loiter unless I've a very very good reason to- I still feel Salar can see a flee for too long or too many times which isn't conducive to getting it to take!.
Any way, I'd say thats my starting point, especially when flying solo, if I'm in company of others who know something I don't or taking expert advice from a ghillie or other knowledgable type then I'd be a fool to ignore it!.
Pedro,

Daventus

Reaction score
I often see the advice that it is best to fish a pool quickly and not take forever to move slowly down the pool whether fly fishing or spinning. I feel I fish slowly but don't think I am fishing properly unless I fish the pool thoroughly.
I don't often get other anglers behind me so it is difficult for me to judge how fast I'm going. What is the opinion out there, how fast is fast??? 🐌🐌🐌
If no one else is behind you do what you want.If you get a fly in the lug your to slow 👍

Loxie

Reaction score
3 big steps on average. Depends on the water. Generally speaking moving the fly faster will catch most people more fish, although in very cold or coloured water slower can be better. Stealth is very important: I avoid Spey casting unless actually necessary and then just a light touch and go with the tapered leader butt as an anchor. Sustained anchor casts are for the most extreme circumstances and I find them horribly clumsy.

As Rennie said you should leave the water as you found it, except perhaps with a fish or two missing! I think the slower you fish the more disturbance you cause. I also don't believe that letting a fish see your fly inching closer swing after swing does much good as a catching technique either. Let the first time the fish sees your fly be when it's close enough to make it snap at it. My pet hate is following someone down a pool as they inch along ripping the river with clumsy Spey casting. You may as well not bother unless the river is pretty high. I generally only share a beat with friends these days and divide it up so you get a bit for a certain time period. That solves all problems and you can find your own pace.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
That reminds me of a chap last year on the Black Cart in central Scotland,he took an age to go down the beat ,so slow in fact I sat down as I had the chesties on,and had a puff on the old vape pen, I watched this chap meticulously cast ,swing,draw cast,swing etc. Not a pull,not a tail nout. I waited till he was a good 60 yards down and I goes on ,within the first 10 yards had a great snatch and grab,at the size 8 black and red fly that’s great on the cart,had it almost to the bank,when the guy ran up with excitement and produced his Gye net to net it for me,much too tams hilarity,I quickly took out the flea and put it back,a cock fish of 6 lb. The guy goes, Jesus I just fished all that water there 15 minutes ago,and never seen a thing!. Tam goes did ye, we never noticed!!!. So I cut him a wee bit of slack and said “ here put that on” ( the black and red fly’s I always use) . That was my good deed done for the day 👍. jimmythefish.cart

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Normally about 3 steps between casts. I normally only have the chance to fish quite a lot of water in a limited time, so perhaps 1 to 1.5 miles in 3 or 4 hours so I prefer to fish more water quickly than a few pools slowly. More about the enjoyment of seeing and fishing a variety of water than necessarily increasing my chances of catching.

Last edited:

lax0341

Reaction score
For me it depends on the amount and colour of the water. In high and coloured water I fish slowly and take time in the good spots.
In low and clear water I fish relatively fast and fish the pool better twice than too slow. For me fast means two good steps after every cast. In low and clear water you can spook the fish for a long time if you fish too long on the same place.

Karl-K

Reaction score
It depends on the time of year for me - in spring I fish the fly slower, but take 3 or 4 decent steps between casts as I’m searching for a needle in a haystack, in summer I’m fishing squarer and faster, but probably only a couple of steps between casts and concentrating on known spots