What brand of braid should I buy?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
As a generalism, most of the 4 strand braids are much cheaper than 8 strand and also are more robust - the only disadvantage is that as its slightly thicker it reduces casting distance but unless needing extreme distance you won't notice.

Having said that, I currently use Suffix 832 which although an 8 strand, is a very good price and after two years on my reel and use in the sea and freshwater is performing extremely well. An alternative is Spiderwire Stealth which I'd say is on a par and happily use myself. Up until trying these two I was spending upwards of £45 for 100m having never found anything even close in performance, the Suffix and Spiderwire Stealth did and at less than half the price made for an easy decision to switch.

Note also; at the same time as I tested those I also gave Daiwa J braid a trial due to its similar price point. However, I found it far more prone to abrasion damage and wind knots and so dropped it after just a few trips. I know of others who experienced similar problems and so suggest its one to avoid.

Finally a tip, if using with a fixed spool, compared to nylon underfill the spool by 2 to 3mm which will help avoid wind knots. Also get into the habit of manually closing the bail and checking that due to its suppleness its not across the front of the spool - that's easiest done by pulling a yard or so off after each cast. It sounds like a hassle but its not and just becomes habit. Especially helpful when fishing in the dark!

Holwell53

Reaction score
Power pro is generally a good braid , but slightly thicker than dearer ones, I’m using Dam Effzett 8 strand ,
.20 mm 40lb really nice braid

Rrrr

Reaction score
I like daiwa j braid i strand as its nice and supple and dosent have a waxy coating. Some arent keen but i prefer it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

sneakypeter

Reaction score
A minefield of choices and hype, I have tried loads, and always come back to Berkley Fireline, 20lb in smoke colour. Without doubt the most reliable in my book, feels stiff when new, but casts really well, is understated in BS by some margin and lasts, can get a bit tatty looking after some use, usually just the last few metres, but does not seem to lose any strength, just cut it back.
peter

ArchieL

Reaction score
Used a few of the brands mentioned and would say the spiderwire is decent. FWIW i am trying to ween myself off the braid due to a very big Tay springer cutting it on a rock when almost beat and also i feel i have lost too many fish recently and i now have it in my head that i need to go back to Maxima as it had worked for me for years and i only went braid when i discovered the casting benefits using the Vision 110's and Rapalas up the Tay.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Used a few of the brands mentioned and would say the spiderwire is decent. FWIW i am trying to ween myself off the braid due to a very big Tay springer cutting it on a rock when almost beat and also i feel i have lost too many fish recently and i now have it in my head that i need to go back to Maxima as it had worked for me for years and i only went braid when i discovered the casting benefits using the Vision 110's and Rapalas up the Tay.
Unless you need the benefit of being able to cast further I’m not sure braid offers enough of a benefit over Maxima to warrant its use. My lure reels are loaded with braid solely because I like to to use surface lures for bass and you need the lack of stretch to work them properly. That coupled with the need for distance makes braid highly beneficial. All my fresh water reels are spooled with nylon...

if you do want to use braid then lots worth learning how to tie the FG knot. Use a video where you hold the braid in your teeth for that is the simplest and quickest method. The benefit of doing so is that not only is it strong but being slim it runs through rod rings with little resistance allowing you to use a long nylon leader for abrasion resistance.

clydesider

Reaction score
I used to use Power Pro when spinning on the Tay at Muirtons but seemed to lose more fish with it compared to nylon. The locals didnt recommend braid.
Mike

glenelg100

Reaction score
I’ve tried a couple, even although I don’t do a lot of spinning, I’ve opted for power pro out the ones I’ve had.

Richardgw

Reaction score
I used to use Power Pro when spinning on the Tay at Muirtons but seemed to lose more fish with it compared to nylon. The locals didnt recommend braid.
Mike
Interesting. From my experience the numbers of I have lost fish are due to a combination of braid and modern fast action spinning rods, particularly the latter.

Years ago when I hooked a fish on my spinning outfit I knew/felt it would end up in my net. However in recent years I have felt nervous as I’ve had a fair few fall off when using braid and a 10ft carbon spinning rod.

What is going wrong? When I use braid it is always with a shock leader of 18 lbs Maxima. I attach about 12ft to the braid by means of a fishermans knot, before the swivel and a 3ft trace or 15 lbs Maxima. But even this has not been enough to cushion the head shaking which always accompanied a sinking feeling in my stomach and often long distance release as the hooks lose their hold.

Looking to my rod as the problem I recently I have brought my trusted Hardy Fibrelite spinning rod out of the cupboard and noticed how it cushions the head shaking of a fish. The slower more parabolic action of the rod being key. So far since bringing this rod out of retirement it has been two hooked and two landed - not enough statistically for evidence but great for my confidence. In addition the second of the fish was under the new NRW rules of single barbless hooks for all spinners.

I think rod action may be just as important as the stretch in monofilament when it comes to playing fish. The Hardy Fibrelite is powerful yet very very forgiving.

It is too early to blame braid yet. However already I have reloaded my multiplier with Maxima and I may (not decided yet) do so with my fixed spool. In the meantime my modern carbon spinning rod has been relegated to reserve in favour of my antique Hardy Fibrelite purchased in 1975.