What’s the going rate for fly casting tuition?

Andrew B

Reaction score
In this world you usually get what you pay for.
Anyone taking up fly fishing should in my view go for casting lessons first. Much easier than trying to fix bad habits later. Took my son when he was 8 to a casting instructor down on the Tweed. Beautiful caster both s/h and d/h rods.
Look up the casting instructor's on Facebook
Good luck.
Bob.

Those bad habits are hard to fix n all. I wish I’d started with guitar lessons as I have so many bad habits.
Also there’s nothing to be Ashamed about just saying I don’t have a friggin clue about bloody grain weights and so forth. We all need to be shown what to do at some point. This may sound ridiculously stupid but I still need someone to show me how to get the sunk fly out first, in order to get the damn thing out to be able to fire it back out where I want it? The process just baffles me🤨

chriswjx

Reaction score
Cheaper than a day out at the football. I always think of this when trying to put things in perspective lol.

Also, way I was told in my first lesson. You spend 2 hours learning the casts and practicing with feedback. In that 2 hours, your going to probably cast more than you would in an entire day's fishing. So the progress you can make in that period of time far out weighs what you can do even if you've got a guide with you for a day's fishing

Ypres

Reaction score
Hehehehe. :ROFLMAO:
The best advice I had there was to take up table tennis.:eek:
Funny enough I had a similar experience on the Tay at Muirton. My first ever day out with a salmon rod. A local who seemed to be under the impression I was English watched my pathetic attempts at Spey casting and then told me to
”F—- off back to England and take up cricket”. Instead I got my wife to book me on a two day Spey casting course with Ian Gordon on the Tulchan beat. Best thing I ever did. Hopefully when I am out on the Tay tomorrow I might still remember how to do it.

Icelander05

Reaction score
70-- - 100,-- is reasonable. Personaly I usually teach between two and four hours. It depends what the focus is. If you want to train single spey and circle spey from the left bank and double spey and snake roll I would say that you need four hours. A lot depends on the ability of the student. Instead of four hours I would favor two 2 hour sessions so that the student can practise in between. All the guys mentioned can be recommended. The AAPGAI standard guaranties that you get the best for what you are paying for.
Icelander05

goosander

Reaction score
Some really good points there. Also I found that being a good trout angler with a single hander, doesn’t mean that Spey casting should come easier as I speak from experience of being found out after getting an invite for the Don and being totally out of my depth. ( so embarrassing)
I honestly thought cause I was Spey casting like a good en on the lawn I’d be fine on the river? Jeez was I wrong lol.
My problem was trout fishing with mainly overhead casting. Trying to slow down for the Spey cast seams impossible. Counted the seconds my friend Jim takes to make a cast from start to finish and I was at 10. Self could not manage more than 6.
Just wished I had learned propery at the start as it would have been a lot easier.
Bob.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Funny enough I had a similar experience on the Tay at Muirton. My first ever day out with a salmon rod. A local who seemed to be under the impression I was English watched my pathetic attempts at Spey casting and then told me to
”F—- off back to England and take up cricket”. Instead I got my wife to book me on a two day Spey casting course with Ian Gordon on the Tulchan beat. Best thing I ever did. Hopefully when I am out on the Tay tomorrow I might still remember how to do it.
Lol I hope it was said in jest? Have to say the cricket comment is funny though

Greegs

Reaction score
My problem was trout fishing with mainly overhead casting. Trying to slow down for the Spey cast seams impossible. Counted the seconds my friend Jim takes to make a cast from start to finish and I was at 10. Self could not manage more than 6.
Just wished I had learned propery at the start as it would have been a lot easier.
Bob.

The problem is if you come from trout fishing & go to a double hander then all you want to do is fling the line with your top hand.

Hard to get rid of muscle memory but once you get the bottom hand pulling then your onto a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian74

Reaction score

goosander

Reaction score
The problem is if you come from trout fishing & go to a double hander then all you want to do is fling the line with your top hand.

Hard to get rid of muscle memory but once you get the bottom hand pulling then your onto a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are dead right there. When the bottom hand works line goes out fast and straight. Just remembering to do that each cast.
Bob.