What’s the going rate for fly casting tuition?

scoops

Reaction score
West Yorkshire I’ve found £90 for two hours
That sounds reasonable, must be about 15 years I’m pretty sure I was around £40 an hour, found one hour at a time was plenty as lots to sink in and work on, wish I’d got them before picking up a double hand rod as becomes hard shaking off habits, my brother got before he started and he’s far better caster.

ozzyian

Reaction score
If you lived near the Clyde it`s free tuition and advice some good some bad! :D
That sounds like my sort of river. If I'm just walking the banks I love to shout out casting advice to the fishers. 'Too much top hand' or 'Get the anchor a bit closer, it's quite safe' that sort of thing, they sometimes shout back in acknowledgement but often say nothing as they think about the advice.

:)

Last edited:

lax0341

Reaction score
And is it only fly casting tuition or more the salmon catching tuition what you want ?
Arthur Oglesby told to a friend of mine in Grantown on Spey : “ If you come here just to learn casting a long line ,
then go to ...( a well known speycaster ) . But if you like to learn how to catch salmon and seatrout and have some casting lessons beside this then stay with me !“ :cool:

Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
That sounds like my sort of river. If I'm just walking the banks I love to shout out casting advice to the fishers. 'Too much top hand' or 'Get the anchor a bit closer, it's quite safe' that sort of thing, they sometimes shout back in acknowledgement but often say nothing as they think about the advice.

:)

What a heartwarming story. There’s no better way of thanking somebody than giving them a sideways ‘Ok’ sign accross the river. If they don’t acknowledge you, simply wave your hand up and down at the same time to attract their attention.

lax0341

Reaction score
It all depends which rivers you like to fish most. Some of them needs really wide casts, others very gentle and delicate presentation.
If you like to connect both you‘ll need much more then one week.

chriswjx

Reaction score
I've got a lesson booked for Saturday on the Tweed, at £35 an hour, min 2h.

That sounds reasonable, must be about 15 years I’m pretty sure I was around £40 an hour, found one hour at a time was plenty as lots to sink in and work on, wish I’d got them before picking up a double hand rod as becomes hard shaking off habits, my brother got before he started and he’s far better caster.

Interestingly the 3 instructors local to me all do a minimum time of 2h, for 2 of them you can understand, as they also need to travel to the beat an hour each way. But the 3rd has his own school set up (Eoin Fairgreave's) but still has a minimum time of 2 hours

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score

Interestingly the 3 instructors local to me all do a minimum time of 2h, for 2 of them you can understand, as they also need to travel to the beat an hour each way. But the 3rd has his own school set up (Eoin Fairgreave's) but still has a minimum time of 2 hours
Would you as part of your job fart about setting up an hour lesson for £35?

mc andy

Reaction score

I'm sure instructors prefer minimum 2hr sessions, however absorbing all the information that you might receive in that time might be mind boggling as a beginner? .

I would say £40 to £50 an hour

tynelobster

Reaction score
I'm sure instructors prefer minimum 2hr sessions, however absorbing all the information that you might receive in that time might be mind boggling as a beginner? .

I would say £40 to £50 an hour
A good instructor would not overload you but give you time to cement the basics at whatever level you are at.

Greegs

Reaction score

I was going to get casting lessons from Eoin years ago & didn’t bother.
It’s the worst thing I done as I’ve picked up a lot of bad habits being self taught & a couple of hours with him will be worth their weight in gold in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Tim,
If you live in West Yorkshire you have two convenient options.
Neil Truelove who lives near Huddersfield
Brian Towers of Yorkshire Fly Casting who works on the Ure (excellent value)

goosander

Reaction score
Would you as part of your job fart about setting up an hour lesson for £35?
In this world you usually get what you pay for.
Anyone taking up fly fishing should in my view go for casting lessons first. Much easier than trying to fix bad habits later. Took my son when he was 8 to a casting instructor down on the Tweed. Beautiful caster both s/h and d/h rods.
Look up the casting instructor's on Facebook
Good luck.
Bob.

Springer

Reaction score
£70-£100 for a 2hr lesson is very much the norm.

Unfortunately its not as simple as getting what you pay for, there will be guys out there that will do a great job for you at £70 and others that all but rob you of £100.

A correctly delivered 2hr lesson should not leave you feeling overloaded and a good experienced instructor should be able to see the signs that you might be heading there and adjust the teaching accordingly. Ive found two or three hours to be the optimum with two being the most common, a lot of ground can be covered in two hours but it depends entirely on the pupil. There is little point in rushing someone who is clearly learning slower than average, far better to ensure they have fully grasped half as much than not grasped twice as much at all.

Try talking to people about their experiences with instructors, either here or on the river bank. I think recommendations from other people in the same boat as you can often be far better than just going by reputations, Ive seen some big reputations deliver poor results.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Cheaper than a day out at the football. I always think of this when trying to put things in perspective lol.

Andrew B

Reaction score
£70-£100 for a 2hr lesson is very much the norm.

Unfortunately its not as simple as getting what you pay for, there will be guys out there that will do a great job for you at £70 and others that all but rob you of £100.

A correctly delivered 2hr lesson should not leave you feeling overloaded and a good experienced instructor should be able to see the signs that you might be heading there and adjust the teaching accordingly. Ive found two or three hours to be the optimum with two being the most common, a lot of ground can be covered in two hours but it depends entirely on the pupil. There is little point in rushing someone who is clearly learning slower than average, far better to ensure they have fully grasped half as much than not grasped twice as much at all.

Try talking to people about their experiences with instructors, either here or on the river bank. I think recommendations from other people in the same boat as you can often be far better than just going by reputations, Ive seen some big reputations deliver poor results.

Some really good points there. Also I found that being a good trout angler with a single hander, doesn’t mean that Spey casting should come easier as I speak from experience of being found out after getting an invite for the Don and being totally out of my depth. ( so embarrassing)
I honestly thought cause I was Spey casting like a good en on the lawn I’d be fine on the river? Jeez was I wrong lol.