Welsh Sea Trout in the summer - help!

Snake Roll

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on here, hopefully someone can help. I'm heading down to South West Wales with the Mrs in mid/late June for 8 days and staying in Grondre Caravan Park near Canaston Bridge. I'm hoping to make it out for a couple of nights sea trout fishing but I'm completely unfamiliar with the area. Does anyone have an suggestions of where to fish nearby? Not looking to spend a fortune but just looking for somewhere with a good chance of a fish on the fly at night and maybe even somewhere to try during the day for the Grilse.

Snake Roll

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm from Central Scotland so trying to find somewhere in Wales that's convenient and good value with a chance of a fish is proving difficult. The Towy does seem good but by the looks of it it's a bit of a drive (must be around an hour and a half?). Are the Western and Eastern Cleddau's accessible for night fishing?

Aled

Reaction score
Hi Snakeroll, yes the Tywi is about an hour and a half drive from where you are based, there is also the River Taf, (not the Taff which is in Cardiff).
Tight Lines
Aled

T7

Reaction score
Teifi might be closer? Plenty of fishing with local clubs

Handel

Reaction score
Tywi is too far. Teifi is closer - try Llandysul Angling. Or try Pembrokeshire Angling for the Eastern Cleddau. I don't know which is the better bet in June.

Blackpool Mill is private water so may be more expensive. But you will be close by so drop in and ask.

So much water, so little time........

mike142

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,
I live about a 5 minute walk from Grondre caravan park. I also am part of a 6 syndicate which own the rights to fishing on the Blackpool mill (slebech estates fishery)
If you are interested let me know and I can sort something out for you.

Atb
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T7

Reaction score
Just bumping this thread as I’m after some info on the Cleddaus - how have they been fishing and what beats are available for day/week tickets?
Thanks

Sash

Reaction score
Pembrokeshire Anglers has virtually all the Western, and ?two beats on the Eastern (which I have not fished): their website has the details of tickets. Once you have bought a permit the whole lot is yours, and on many stretches you are unlikely to see another angler.

Season has really only just started, due to Lockdown, so there is no record, as such, and County Sports is still closed.

The Western has some cracking water, but it takes a bit of getting used to, and is very height-dependant.
I would say that it fishes most consistently at 0.85m-1.0m on the Prendergast Mill gauge.

I have only had one small sewin so far, but have only been fishing a couple of times in the last two weeks it has been open. The Brown Trout fishing, though, has been really good.

But there are some simply stunning sewin in the river: one swam past me the other night and, until I shone my torch on it, I thought it was an otter!

Last edited: