Welsh Dee 2021

Timxyz49

Reaction score
I’ve not really been fishing except for an hour ST fishing up to Llangollen after work one night and a similar trip to the Conwy which both resulted in a blank🤦‍♂️
But theirs been at least 4 fish caught at Argoed and 1 lost over the last week or so and their has been seatrout spotted above the falls at Llangollen in the evening last week,typical the night I went the river was dead🙄
I believe theirs been more fish seen lower down this last week too so their coming in slowly now
I’ll be out again this week so I’ll keep you posted of anything
Tight lines
🎣🎣🎣

Andrew B

Reaction score
I’ve not really been fishing except for an hour ST fishing up to Llangollen after work one night and a similar trip to the Conwy which both resulted in a blank🤦‍♂️
But theirs been at least 4 fish caught at Argoed and 1 lost over the last week or so and their has been seatrout spotted above the falls at Llangollen in the evening last week,typical the night I went the river was dead🙄
I believe theirs been more fish seen lower down this last week too so their coming in slowly now
I’ll be out again this week so I’ll keep you posted of anything
Tight lines
🎣🎣🎣
I was gonna ask Dr Patrick if he fishes the Conwy? Such a beautiful river that is very accessible and has decent runs of both salmon and sewin

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I was gonna ask Dr Patrick if he fishes the Conwy? Such a beautiful river that is very accessible and has decent runs of both salmon and sewin
Only fished it once Andrew - it’s just a bit too far for a a few hours fishing but yes, beautiful river and if I had more time I’d give it a shot.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Only fished it once Andrew - it’s just a bit too far for a a few hours fishing but yes, beautiful river and if I had more time I’d give it a shot.
Yeah I know what you mean. If you’ve ever met up or fished with an American or in my case a South African they think nothing of driving 2-300 miles in a day for their fishing 😂

peterchilton

Reaction score
I used to fish the Gwydyr Hotel water some years ago, an old lady sorted the tickets out. Isn't it full of recreational bathers etc just now?

happy days

Reaction score
I used to fish the Gwydyr Hotel water some years ago, an old lady sorted the tickets out. Isn't it full of recreational bathers etc just now?
I used to fish at night there in the early nineties Glynn Jones was the bailiff, everyone I met fished maggots on a fly dressed on a low water salmon hook.

happy days

Reaction score
I was showing a new member llangollen the access and pools on the top beat yesterday afternoon and saw there had been a slight rise so we got the rods out below duncans and nailed a few trout and grayling on the dries, good fun, I saw another car at the top car park but didn't see the angler, beautiful beat of a beautiful river with no one on it :)

GeeBee

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was hoping to get a day or day and a half on the Maelor waters - but i can't book online.

Is that normal ?

I'm hoping to fish for grayling in the morning and try for sea trout in the evening, so will hip waders be fine or do i need chest waders ?

It is a flying visit, so i am trying to travel light.

Thanks

Mark

gbanjo

Reaction score
If you look at Llangollen Maellor website, which I think you may have done already. In your previous post you seem to have mentioned the day ticket price.
On the site it gives full details of 3 shops, plus the Ty Mawr country park office. There are links to click on to book tickets, which direct you to the Clubmate booking site
Derek Bithell club secretary's details also appear on the site.

I personally wouldn't wade the Dee in thigh waders, even in the very low water,as it happens to be at present.
Rain is forecast in the next few days, will it be enough though.
I wouldn't waste my money on a ticket at present.
GB

GeeBee

Reaction score
If you look at Llangollen Maellor website, which I think you may have done already. In your previous post you seem to have mentioned the day ticket price.
On the site it gives full details of 3 shops, plus the Ty Mawr country park office. There are links to click on to book tickets, which direct you to the Clubmate booking site
Derek Bithell club secretary's details also appear on the site.

I personally wouldn't wade the Dee in thigh waders, even in the very low water,as it happens to be at present.
Rain is forecast in the next few days, will it be enough though.
I wouldn't waste my money on a ticket at present.
GB

Thanks GB.

I tried the clubmate site, i signed up and it says 'not enough credits or too far ahead in the future'...

i will bring the chesties.

i will make a decision on Wednesday 7th - i am travelling from Middlesex to Heysham on my way back to the Isle of Man, and i wanted to stop off and fish somewhere not too far.

We here on the Isle have been in drought since early April. I have fished just three times since then for trout :(

Cheers

GB

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thanks GB.

I tried the clubmate site, i signed up and it says 'not enough credits or too far ahead in the future'...

i will bring the chesties.

i will make a decision on Wednesday 7th - i am travelling from Middlesex to Heysham on my way back to the Isle of Man, and i wanted to stop off and fish somewhere not too far.

We here on the Isle have been in drought since early April. I have fished just three times since then for trout :(

Cheers

GB

Hi GB - if you've not looked at this site - have a look at this for some insight into pools etc. It's a great blog and the pool walkthroughs are great.

Thanks,

Patrick

gbanjo

Reaction score
Rain is forecast Sun. Mon. Tuesday. Depends on how much water comes down, and if it becomes fishable depending on how coloured it gets.
I imagine your are coming off the M6 for Shrewsbury. Then heading for the A5.

I suggest when you reach the A5 turning, South of Wrexham. Turn left onto the A5 at the small roundabout signed Llangollen. Proceed for about 4.5 miles to Llan. As you approach the set off lights, where you are able to turn right for the town centre. You will see a row of shops on your right . The biggest shop is Watkins. & Wynn, ironmongers etc.
DONT. go up to the lights, take the small left fork to a small car park. It's at the rear of the buildings opposite the shop.
They open early. Used to be around 7.ooam.

Then you could get a day ticket there. You coul d even walk down to the Town Bridge, to see the state of the river
before buying a permit. If it's not suitable, you could be back( takes bout 10mins) onto the Wrexham bypass towards Chester, Then A55 East bound to the M6. Beware there are roadworks on the bypass in both directions, and the journey to the A55 at Chester could a little longer.

Downside of buying a day ticket, where do you head to fish ? (if you haven't been before).

Maybe you could get some more info from other regulars on the forum. You could end up with where to park ? and possibly some long walks. Ideal is to go with a member if it's your first time.
Tight lines
GB.

GeeBee

Reaction score
Thanks to you both for your detailed replies.

I had seen that website, and was planning to fish Dee Farm, the pipes and Duncan's pool.

There looks like some rain is due, and it might be partially overcast so i might have a chance of at least some trout.

It will just be nice to be back on a river, and in a lovely area too - i visited the outdoor centre at Ros y Gwalia when i was a kid in 1984 & 1985 when i was kid...i had always hoped to go back one day !

Thanks again.

GB

happy days

Reaction score
Thanks to you both for your detailed replies.

I had seen that website, and was planning to fish Dee Farm, the pipes and Duncan's pool.

There looks like some rain is due, and it might be partially overcast so i might have a chance of at least some trout.

It will just be nice to be back on a river, and in a lovely area too - i visited the outdoor centre at Ros y Gwalia when i was a kid in 1984 & 1985 when i was kid...i had always hoped to go back one day !

Thanks again.

GB
In low water if you want a nice bit of fishing with no trekking park at access H and get over the stile down to bishops run and fish the oxygenated water around the islands then come back over the stile turn right go past the pump house and go over the next stile on your right cross the field and fish working upstream with a single klinkhammer all the way up to Duncan’s you can carry on as far as you fancy on that bank 😊

JPChambers86

Reaction score
Took a trip out to Newbridge after tea in search of Sewin. Started fishing down the pool about 22:45 around 23.00 it was pretty dark but I could see a massive wake following the fly but I could feel anything. The heart starts going ya know I’m on my own it’s dark this things big! It’s following it all the way in. I start think it can’t be a fish it must be something on the line but I can’t feel anything. So I lift it out the water slowly and drop the line next to me in the water. But I seen the fly come out on the lift so I knew nothing was on the line. I went for another cast and there’s a huge splash where I dropped the line on the water. Anyway I **** my waders and turned the light on. And there’s a otter! Under the rod tip! Look at me giving it “wot lad I was playing with that until you nearly took my eye out with it!”
So that was that ruined!
I reckon that would have put up some fight if I’d foul hooked it in the tail though!

GeeBee

Reaction score
I am back from my trip now. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

No luck with the Sea Trout or Salmon, but i did manage one grayling on a swung #14 Bloody Butcher from the Sea Trout Pool and picked up some small brownies there and on the Cottage Pool.

I also fished Dee Farm but did not see anything at all. I probably should not have waded.

Llangollen was very pretty, the Kebabs at Dee Pizza were amazing. Bridge End Hotel was nice but expensive.

Quite chuffed i got my first ever grayling, and very much looking forward to returning when there is some water and cloud cover.

Just as an FYI for any other first time visitors, some of the directions online are a bit off - at Dee Farm, don't cross the stile on the right and walk up four fields. Keep left and follow the track round. Its a much shorter walk.

Likewise, for the Sea Trout Pool, don't follow the path under Berwyn Station, its a real scramble up and over fallen logs and along collapsing cliffs. Very dangerous imho. it took me near an hour to go 2/3 of a mile.

I came back along the railway tracks, much to the annoyance of the steam train driver 😂
70BBD20F-9E96-4FCE-A62B-94A5C3473099.jpeg
6A65FB1D-3A68-4BE6-986E-0EE3A652ADFD.jpeg

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I am back from my trip now. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

No luck with the Sea Trout or Salmon, but i did manage one grayling on a swung #14 Bloody Butcher from the Sea Trout Pool and picked up some small brownies there and on the Cottage Pool.

I also fished Dee Farm but did not see anything at all. I probably should not have waded.

Llangollen was very pretty, the Kebabs at Dee Pizza were amazing. Bridge End Hotel was nice but expensive.

Quite chuffed i got my first ever grayling, and very much looking forward to returning when there is some water and cloud cover.

Just as an FYI for any other first time visitors, some of the directions online are a bit off - at Dee Farm, don't cross the stile on the right and walk up four fields. Keep left and follow the track round. Its a much shorter walk.

Likewise, for the Sea Trout Pool, don't follow the path under Berwyn Station, its a real scramble up and over fallen logs and along collapsing cliffs. Very dangerous imho. it took me near an hour to go 2/3 of a mile.

I came back along the railway tracks, much to the annoyance of the steam train driver 😂View attachment 63367View attachment 63368
Glad you liked it GeeBee and although the conditions weren’t great good to hear you had a good trip. I’ve fished a couple of places on the Dee but for a cast in a beautiful place the upper Llangollen stretch is hard to beat. I used to fish the Bodsaa beats where there is a better chance of a salmon but some of the stretches feel like a World War One trench.

There are a few night time fishers who’ve had luck with sea trout last few weeks - and in day time I’ve seen a couple splashing ( I had one come out of the water as I hooked a grayling near it today).

it was roasting today, so didn’t fancy my chances for salmon ( and day time sea trout is almost impossible unless it’s in spate). Had a quick play with a line set up on the salmon rod more just to see how it was casting - but with the river on its bones - I then got distracted with the trout and grayling. Size 18 or 20 Griffith gnats - once, even with glasses, I managed to get them tied on ( Christ knows how I tied them) were working well.

When I got to glide there was all kinds of commotion and pile of hounds working their way up the river bank - with people both banks walking up. Couldn’t work out what they were doing - assume they aren’t hunting otters? Seems a bit over kill to herd a bunch of calfs and coos? The handlers had no fear wading across the river in their breeks? I didn’t mind as I was cooked and ready to go home and the hounds were nice to watch. Anyone know what they were doing? Cheers, Patrick

gbanjo

Reaction score
Well Gee Bee,
I am pleased you enjoyed your first fishing experience on the beautiful Welsh Dee and caught your first ever Grayling.

I am utterly dismayed that you TRESPASSED on the Steam railway, or any other railway, and seemed to find it funny, as your Emoji implied. It is a serious offence and could cause friction between the Clubs and the railway members, who are all volunteers.

Most of the people who kindly gave you advice, are members of the Dee clubs which usually have very strict rules which include, using the rail track as a route. It's common sense anyway, which there seems to be a complete lack of nowadays.

I don't think anyone on this thread needs advice how to access, the Seatrout Pool.

Gbanjo ( Mr Angry)

happy days

Reaction score
Glad you liked it GeeBee and although the conditions weren’t great good to hear you had a good trip. I’ve fished a couple of places on the Dee but for a cast in a beautiful place the upper Llangollen stretch is hard to beat. I used to fish the Bodsaa beats where there is a better chance of a salmon but some of the stretches feel like a World War One trench.

There are a few night time fishers who’ve had luck with sea trout last few weeks - and in day time I’ve seen a couple splashing ( I had one come out of the water as I hooked a grayling near it today).

it was roasting today, so didn’t fancy my chances for salmon ( and day time sea trout is almost impossible unless it’s in spate). Had a quick play with a line set up on the salmon rod more just to see how it was casting - but with the river on its bones - I then got distracted with the trout and grayling. Size 18 or 20 Griffith gnats - once, even with glasses, I managed to get them tied on ( Christ knows how I tied them) were working well.

When I got to glide there was all kinds of commotion and pile of hounds working their way up the river bank - with people both banks walking up. Couldn’t work out what they were doing - assume they aren’t hunting otters? Seems a bit over kill to herd a bunch of calfs and coos? The handlers had no fear wading across the river in their breeks? I didn’t mind as I was cooked and ready to go home and the hounds were nice to watch. Anyone know what they were doing? Cheers, Patrick
I was there Wednesday I see what you meant about the increase in canoes and rubber ring groups ☹️, there is lad nearby that keeps a foxhound and terrier pack it could well be them.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I was there Wednesday I see what you meant about the increase in canoes and rubber ring groups ☹️, there is lad nearby that keeps a foxhound and terrier pack it could well be them.
And I’ve noticed quite a few bottles and cans on the upper stretch in the water. Not saying there wasn’t always some litter but feels like a bit more. I can only assume it’s the people enjoying their camp fires and late night booze who can’t be arsed to take their stuff home and use the river as the bin.

happy days

Reaction score
And I’ve noticed quite a few bottles and cans on the upper stretch in the water. Not saying there wasn’t always some litter but feels like a bit more. I can only assume it’s the people enjoying their camp fires and late night booze who can’t be arsed to take their stuff home and use the river as the bin.
Yes, what we need is some bad weather, get them all back behind the door and give us our river back :)

happy days

Reaction score
I was out last night and can report the river is fine for evening fishing it must be the cool water releases that come from the bottom of the lake, I caught a rake of brownies and grayling on bugs and copper heads after nine I put the flies on and got a sea trout 1lb amongst more fish. All fish were in good nick and fighting fit no signs of lethargy at all. 😊

GeeBee

Reaction score
Well Gee Bee,
I am pleased you enjoyed your first fishing experience on the beautiful Welsh Dee and caught your first ever Grayling.

I am utterly dismayed that you TRESPASSED on the Steam railway, or any other railway, and seemed to find it funny, as your Emoji implied. It is a serious offence and could cause friction between the Clubs and the railway members, who are all volunteers.

Most of the people who kindly gave you advice, are members of the Dee clubs which usually have very strict rules which include, using the rail track as a route. It's common sense anyway, which there seems to be a complete lack of nowadays.

I don't think anyone on this thread needs advice how to access, the Seatrout Pool.

Gbanjo ( Mr Angry)

I am sorry, i did not mean to offend anyone or trespass, but that path is very dangerous to those that don't expect it.

I met another member on the river who said i was crazy to even try that route and to access that pool from the other side.

I was laughing out of embarassment.

Timxyz49

Reaction score
I was out Monday above the falls,didn’t arrive untill 8pm ish and even then the river was like a warzone
Dogs,kids paddling,people on paddle boards,rubber rings,a few canoes below the falls then to add insult to injury 4 or 5 “wild” swimmers swam straight through the pool we were fishing at dark,right on the far bank where the fish are🙄

Hopefully we get some rain soon and they all go back indoors!

Their are fish being caught around Llangollen and newbridge areas though,it’s the last hour and through the night that seems to be working at the moment

Good luck to anyone fishing this week
Tight lines
🎣🎣🎣