Welsh Dee 2021

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I see no one has put up a thread for 2021 for Welsh Dee - so given (fingers crossed no more COVID shenanigans) all should be able to access the water from 12th April I thought I’d get the ball rolling.

with the massive floods I’m half expecting to see some changes in pools. But am looking forward to getting back on the river.

Anyone managed to get out for a cast? I’ve heard rumours of salmon from Corwen - and possibly Llangollen - anyone seeing much or been lucky enough to strike silver?

I also enjoy the Welsh Dee for the trout and grayling - early season can still be a bit dead - but blossoms are out and aside from the cold blast this week it warmed up a bit recently - any signs of fly life and rising fish ( I’ll often dry fly even when nothing is rising - more often or not you can force a rise)?

Anyway, all the best and tight lines.

Regards, Patrick

gbanjo

Reaction score
Hello Patrick.

Thanks for having the "first cast" once again.

Your comments have cheered me up tremendously.

I suppose some of the Welsh anglers have been out and about, if their restrictions allowed.
I haven't heard any news on sightings or catches anywhere yet. Have the reports you have had, refer to sightings or catches.?

We in England, can of course now fish. Waters been low though.

Love your contributions on the Fly tying thread. Excellent .
Tight lines all
GB.

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Hello Patrick.

I suppose some of the Welsh anglers have been out and about, if their restrictions allowed.
I haven't heard any news on sightings or catches anywhere yet. Have the reports you have had, refer to sightings or catches.?

Tight lines all
GB.
How’s things GB

Hope your ok 👍

Have you got any fishing planned?

Take care
Tim

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hello Patrick.

Tight lines all
GB.
Cheers GB, it’s been a looong wait to get on the river. I’m just looking forward to some fresh air, casting a rod and being on the water - I’m sure after 30 mins that’ll turn to wanting a pull on the end of the line.

the Fly tying has got me through the dark days - appreciate your kind words on what’s come off the vise 👍

in terms of salmon, I’ve just heard a few things but no ones posted anything on bodsaa or the like - so would be good to see someone strike silver. A Welsh Dee springer - is hard won.

All the best and tight lines if you are out and about, Patrick

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Managed to get down to Llangollen today. Water has been low due to lack of rain ( it’s 0.43 at Manley Hall). Nice to get out. Started at the top most pool mainly to give a new rod a Chuck - and it’s one of those pools that you can have a decent cast in. Even with the water low the pool looks great although it seems to have shingled up a bit more at the top - but a nice deep channel toward the opposite bank. What I wasn’t keen on was the camper van/camping park opposite - I can imagine that messing up things if it was busier and people chucking stones in/ paddling etc.

Anyway, nothing doing on the salmon rod - wasn’t expecting much due to lack of water - but good to get some practice. Switched to dry fly (Bwo and a Griffith gnat) - nothing rising but managed to get 4 decent grayling to come to the fly. Did the Tarzan route/goat path to Dee Farm ( wasn’t that bad because it’s dry - hardest part is getting up to the path) - and there a massive hatch had started - think grannom. So swapped to version of that but think the fish were mostly getting them subsurface - but managed a couple of trout. Anyway, nice to get out - finally !! Need some water but long term forecast isn’t hinting at much. Good luck if you are out and about. Cheers, Patrick

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Even with the water still painfully low (but I can see there is supposed to be rain coming - Monday /Tues and through the week!) I went down today - gauge at Manley 0.432. Lovely morning - nice to get the sun on the face - completely quiet but still a bit chilly. Brought the salmon rod more for casting practice than any hope of a fish and the trout rod in the hope of some kind of sport.

Fished Pipe but nothing doing, then waded across the river to fish Duncan’s (just down from pipe where there is the obvious big stone - you can cross here probably up to about 650 on the gauge) - got a decent trout on the salmon rod, but nothing doing for the trout and grayling rod/flies - crossed back to fish Duncan's on the right bank - but really, there's no real flow for the salmon fishing so gave up pretty quickly. It's interesting to wade lower Duncan's at this height as there's some deep little pots/features from those undulating stone striations that you get throughout the upper Dee (and sometimes make wading a bugger) - I need to try and remember them for when the river is higher as a lot of lower Duncan's is quite featureless and shallow especially further down. A small hatch of flies meant a little bit of sport - couple of grayling and trout - but also I got what I'm assuming is a sea trout smolt?? - about 9 inches still had red spots toward the tail??

DSCF1728.JPG

Apart from that, nice to get out of the house. I also watched a crow have a right go at a squirrel - it was chasing it trying to land on it and peck it - but the little fella was giving it legs faster than the crow could keep up.

Anyway, rains coming, there's fish coming through the Chester trap (Towyn Evans was saying last week) - so things might start to get a little more interesting on the salmon front.

Tight lines if you can get out this week - especially if it's a decent glug!

All the best, Patrick

Last edited: