Welsh Dee 2021

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I see no one has put up a thread for 2021 for Welsh Dee - so given (fingers crossed no more COVID shenanigans) all should be able to access the water from 12th April I thought I’d get the ball rolling.

with the massive floods I’m half expecting to see some changes in pools. But am looking forward to getting back on the river.

Anyone managed to get out for a cast? I’ve heard rumours of salmon from Corwen - and possibly Llangollen - anyone seeing much or been lucky enough to strike silver?

I also enjoy the Welsh Dee for the trout and grayling - early season can still be a bit dead - but blossoms are out and aside from the cold blast this week it warmed up a bit recently - any signs of fly life and rising fish ( I’ll often dry fly even when nothing is rising - more often or not you can force a rise)?

Anyway, all the best and tight lines.

Regards, Patrick

gbanjo

Reaction score
Hello Patrick.

Thanks for having the "first cast" once again.

Your comments have cheered me up tremendously.

I suppose some of the Welsh anglers have been out and about, if their restrictions allowed.
I haven't heard any news on sightings or catches anywhere yet. Have the reports you have had, refer to sightings or catches.?

We in England, can of course now fish. Waters been low though.

Love your contributions on the Fly tying thread. Excellent .
Tight lines all
GB.

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Hello Patrick.

I suppose some of the Welsh anglers have been out and about, if their restrictions allowed.
I haven't heard any news on sightings or catches anywhere yet. Have the reports you have had, refer to sightings or catches.?

Tight lines all
GB.
How’s things GB

Hope your ok 👍

Have you got any fishing planned?

Take care
Tim

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hello Patrick.

Tight lines all
GB.
Cheers GB, it’s been a looong wait to get on the river. I’m just looking forward to some fresh air, casting a rod and being on the water - I’m sure after 30 mins that’ll turn to wanting a pull on the end of the line.

the Fly tying has got me through the dark days - appreciate your kind words on what’s come off the vise 👍

in terms of salmon, I’ve just heard a few things but no ones posted anything on bodsaa or the like - so would be good to see someone strike silver. A Welsh Dee springer - is hard won.

All the best and tight lines if you are out and about, Patrick

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Managed to get down to Llangollen today. Water has been low due to lack of rain ( it’s 0.43 at Manley Hall). Nice to get out. Started at the top most pool mainly to give a new rod a Chuck - and it’s one of those pools that you can have a decent cast in. Even with the water low the pool looks great although it seems to have shingled up a bit more at the top - but a nice deep channel toward the opposite bank. What I wasn’t keen on was the camper van/camping park opposite - I can imagine that messing up things if it was busier and people chucking stones in/ paddling etc.

Anyway, nothing doing on the salmon rod - wasn’t expecting much due to lack of water - but good to get some practice. Switched to dry fly (Bwo and a Griffith gnat) - nothing rising but managed to get 4 decent grayling to come to the fly. Did the Tarzan route/goat path to Dee Farm ( wasn’t that bad because it’s dry - hardest part is getting up to the path) - and there a massive hatch had started - think grannom. So swapped to version of that but think the fish were mostly getting them subsurface - but managed a couple of trout. Anyway, nice to get out - finally !! Need some water but long term forecast isn’t hinting at much. Good luck if you are out and about. Cheers, Patrick

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Even with the water still painfully low (but I can see there is supposed to be rain coming - Monday /Tues and through the week!) I went down today - gauge at Manley 0.432. Lovely morning - nice to get the sun on the face - completely quiet but still a bit chilly. Brought the salmon rod more for casting practice than any hope of a fish and the trout rod in the hope of some kind of sport.

Fished Pipe but nothing doing, then waded across the river to fish Duncan’s (just down from pipe where there is the obvious big stone - you can cross here probably up to about 650 on the gauge) - got a decent trout on the salmon rod, but nothing doing for the trout and grayling rod/flies - crossed back to fish Duncan's on the right bank - but really, there's no real flow for the salmon fishing so gave up pretty quickly. It's interesting to wade lower Duncan's at this height as there's some deep little pots/features from those undulating stone striations that you get throughout the upper Dee (and sometimes make wading a bugger) - I need to try and remember them for when the river is higher as a lot of lower Duncan's is quite featureless and shallow especially further down. A small hatch of flies meant a little bit of sport - couple of grayling and trout - but also I got what I'm assuming is a sea trout smolt?? - about 9 inches still had red spots toward the tail??

DSCF1728.JPG

Apart from that, nice to get out of the house. I also watched a crow have a right go at a squirrel - it was chasing it trying to land on it and peck it - but the little fella was giving it legs faster than the crow could keep up.

Anyway, rains coming, there's fish coming through the Chester trap (Towyn Evans was saying last week) - so things might start to get a little more interesting on the salmon front.

Tight lines if you can get out this week - especially if it's a decent glug!

All the best, Patrick

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I headed down today for a cast this morning. Just took the salmon rod as last night when I checked it was 800 on the gauge for Manley (0.8). With the overnight rain, I thought it might be dirty but wasn’t too bad at first. Fished Top Pool at Llangollen - which was a delight to fish - line just pulls away - and as an added bonus the happy campers weren’t there at the ‘go wild camp site’ opposite. The goat path to Dee Farm pool was pretty treacherous even with studs in my boots - didn’t fancy slipping down that slope so inched along hanging on to anything. Fished Dee Farm and water was definitely taking colour and rising. Then headed down to Duncan’s - again very nice to fish compared to last week! Got two decent trout - one was about pound and half and at first thought it must be a sea trout as the buggers at that size never entertain the trout rod - but alas as soon as I saw it on the surface - just a big brownie but nice to know they are there!! By the time I left it was definitely getting dirty - and I was soaked to the bone. But great to have a decent cast when the waters a decent height - looks like it’s now 1.0 plus and rising - so I think it was a good job I fished it when I did because this rise will take a couple of days to drop back.

Anyway, tight lines if you get out

Cheers, Patrick

gbanjo

Reaction score
Hi Patrick,
At least you have been out and had a few Ween's.

Looks okay for Llan tomorrow, 71 on the gauge. Should be in the higher sixties tomorrow and fining down.

Manleys at 80, probably water from the Cerriog and Clweddog.

Tight lines if you go, maybe a few gone up now.

Can't think why anyone struggles through the wood to Top pool. It's easier walking above the wood, climbing over a old gate up there. A short scramble down and either a shorter route back to the pool or wade if the waters not to high.

Only ever used to see, heifers or bullocks in the field, that was some years ago though. They sense when your scared though.

Keep safe

GB.

Keep safe

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi Patrick,
At least you have been out and had a few Ween's.

Looks okay for Llan tomorrow, 71 on the gauge. Should be in the higher sixties tomorrow and fining down.

Manleys at 80, probably water from the Cerriog and Clweddog.

Tight lines if you go, maybe a few gone up now.

Can't think why anyone struggles through the wood to Top pool. It's easier walking above the wood, climbing over a old gate up there. A short scramble down and either a shorter route back to the pool or wade if the waters not to high.

Only ever used to see, heifers or bullocks in the field, that was some years ago though. They sense when your scared though.

Keep safe

GB.

Keep safe
Cheers Gbanjo - I need to work out a better route back from Top pool- getting there is fine as I normally just march along the farm track and drop down into the field. If it's dry the goat path isn't too bad except from catching your rod in all the trees - but when it's sodden it's just clay/mush and a drop I don't fancy head or arse first. I'll have look next time I'm down if I can cut above the woods. Last year the farmer put a rather tasty bull at Dee Farm hope beefy has gone off to be made into Sunday roast because he definitely wasn't happy when I turned up and I don't fancy a repeat performance.

Timxyz49

Reaction score
How is everyone doing?

I’ve not posted anything on here until now as I’ve had nothing really to post.

Been out numerous times so far, all below Chirk, I’ve not seen any salmon though and as far as I’m aware theirs been very few caught so far,I know 2 were hooked at Dongray about 10 days ago,one landed about 7lb and one lost and 1 may have been caught at worthenbury,their were also reports of a fresh fish from Corwen in early April and one from Llangollen around the same time but that’s all I’ve heard.

How’s everyone else getting on so far?

Tight lines
Tim

gbanjo

Reaction score
Wet a line today, against my better judgement. My wife fancied a run out for the day. Never usually fish when there's an Easterly wind.Water was a perfect height, 67 on Corwen gauge. The wind chill made the air temperature colder than the water temp.

Never saw any movement during the couple of hours I fished. I noticed last high water hadn't cleared the crap of the bottom caused by the low water.

Enjoyed the exercise. Heard a the Cuckoo though. First time for years, a rare occasion these days.
GB.

JPChambers86

Reaction score
Hello,
Long time reader, first time poster.

Fished up Newbridge a few times this year. Recently yesterday with the salmon gear. River looked perfect yesterday and hooked into a nice brown trout of 3 or 4lbs before it shook its self off.
Fly life was prolific during the evening but only some small trout and grayling topping. I haven’t seen or heard of any salmon which is a shame. It’s such a beautiful big river to loose so little salmon. Yet I persevere like us all. Good job I just like chucking a line and trying to perfect my casting.
I haven’t posted before but always read for info. But the informations only as good as what’s provided. So I’ve decided I’d share more of what I’ve seen. At the end of the day is anglers need to stick together more that ever before. I was made up when I guided my friend to his first fish last year.
See you soon!
Tight lines, J

Timxyz49

Reaction score
I went out yesterday for a short while around Chirk,didn’t see anything but a friend of mine was fishing the CADAC beat below and said he saw a salmon. However it just nice be out on the River.

Theirs been 1 caught over the weekend up at Corwen and I believe one lost too the day before from same area. Their has been a few out fishing recently so hopefully will be a few more caught over the next few days/weeks.

Tight lines
🎣🎣🎣

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I went down today but more of a “get out the house and have some fresh air visit”. River very quiet, I know I should fish in the evening but can’t so just make the best of it. But the trout/grayling fishing was rubbish - missed a couple of offers on forced rise and had a Chuck of the salmon rod more for casting practice - wasn’t expecting much - and nothing unexpected happened 😂 the highlight was finding a couple of Heron feathers. I always try and watch where they are sitting in case they have a bit of a preen and managed to strike feathery gold 👍

Stevie0427

Reaction score
Hi guys,
New to being on here 👍🏻 just a short basic intro of myself, Name is Steve 28 yrs old . I’ve been fishing and a club member of the old Maelor and now the merged Llangollen and maelor club since as long as I can remember sitting on the bank with my old man. I’ve got to say what a lovely stretch we have to fish with awesome views of the Dee valley 👌🏻, I recently bumped into a fellow angler on the Dee farm last week and had a great chat with him on the riverside 👍🏻 talking about fishing etc Im not sure of his name either Paul or Patrick sorry if it’s wrong but he said he was from Warrington, anyway what a gent he was to talk to 👍🏻. I’m off up to Dee farm tomorrow to cast the fly or spinner depending on conditions in search for salmon and sea trout, has any one seen any movement lately regarding the silver tourist moving upstream yet? Many thanks, Steve

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi guys,
New to being on here 👍🏻 just a short basic intro of myself, Name is Steve 28 yrs old . I’ve been fishing and a club member of the old Maelor and now the merged Llangollen and maelor club since as long as I can remember sitting on the bank with my old man. I’ve got to say what a lovely stretch we have to fish with awesome views of the Dee valley 👌🏻, I recently bumped into a fellow angler on the Dee farm last week and had a great chat with him on the riverside 👍🏻 talking about fishing etc Im not sure of his name either Paul or Patrick sorry if it’s wrong but he said he was from Warrington, anyway what a gent he was to talk to 👍🏻. I’m off up to Dee farm tomorrow to cast the fly or spinner depending on conditions in search for salmon and sea trout, has any one seen any movement lately regarding the silver tourist moving upstream yet? Many thanks, Steve
Hi Steve - lol - a gent. High praise indeed Good to meet you. Tight lines if you get out - you should definitely get up to top pool but ideally during non-holiday days/not weekends as there's campsite now opposite - that's a belting bit of water, the fly just comes round effortlessly - especially when it's 700 + - the wade is easy but note toward the bottom it gets deeper. From the parking place at Dee Farm - the best thing to do (to avoid a double journey through the woods) is take the farm track above the house - you'll be able to look down and see most of top beat - and there's an obvious gate on your right (you'll be able to see the campsite buildings through the woods). Go through that and cut across the field to the top of top pool (at the bottom of the field almost opposite the top of top pool is another obvious green gate) . Or just follow the river upstream and go through the woods. If you do fish top pool, I haven't found a way that doesn't involve a bit of scramble up from top pool to the sheep path (or Tarzan run as I call it) - if it's been raining, it's pretty nasty at first and super slippy if the soil is chewed up from sheep traffic - if it's dry not too bad - and it's really only the first 100 m or so that is nasty then it calms down as you come to fridge/top of Dee Farm. Might be a bit low right now but could be an opportunity for a recce. Hopefully catch up with you again at some point - have you been on your fishing trip to Northumberland yet? Anyway, tightlines, Patrick

Slide1.JPG

Stevie0427

Reaction score
Hi Steve - lol - a gent. High praise indeed Good to meet you. Tight lines if you get out - you should definitely get up to top pool but ideally during non-holiday days/not weekends as there's campsite now opposite - that's a belting bit of water, the fly just comes round effortlessly - especially when it's 700 + - the wade is easy but note toward the bottom it gets deeper. From the parking place at Dee Farm - the best thing to do (to avoid a double journey through the woods) is take the farm track above the house - you'll be able to look down and see most of top beat - and there's an obvious gate on your right (you'll be able to see the campsite buildings through the woods). Go through that and cut across the field to the top of top pool (at the bottom of the field almost opposite the top of top pool is another obvious green gate) . Or just follow the river upstream and go through the woods. If you do fish top pool, I haven't found a way that doesn't involve a bit of scramble up from top pool to the sheep path (or Tarzan run as I call it) - if it's been raining, it's pretty nasty at first and super slippy if the soil is chewed up from sheep traffic - if it's dry not too bad - and it's really only the first 100 m or so that is nasty then it calms down as you come to fridge/top of Dee Farm. Might be a bit low right now but could be an opportunity for a recce. Hopefully catch up with you again at some point - have you been on your fishing trip to Northumberland yet? Anyway, tightlines, Patrick

View attachment 62025
Hi Patrick,
Thanks for the info again and the clear drawing of how to get to the top pool on an easier route 👍🏻, I tried a two or three seasons ago with my bro but it was the end of the season and very wet... to which we turned around after halfway through the woods as we didn’t fancy sliding a good 20metres or so down the bank into the river 😂. Will definitely try and fish the top pool this season sometime for sure, We leave to go up to Northumberland a week today 😁 which I’m looking very forward to but fingers, toes, arms, legs crossed the salmon and sea trout gods will be looking down on us 🤞🏻😂, when is your outing next to the top of Llangollen waters? Will be going tomorrow morning with my Taid in-law to show him Dee Farm, will keep you updated how we get on 👍🏻.
Steve

gbanjo

Reaction score
Hi Steve,
Pleased to hear you enjoyed your fishing and meeting Patrick.
Hope you have success tomorrow. Only problem is the water is very low at present, plus the bright sunlight, which makes the job a tad harder. Catching on the Dee is hard enough at the best of times

Now I've said that, you'll prove me wrong and catch a cracker.
Tight lines GB.

Stevie0427

Reaction score
Hi Steve,
Pleased to hear you enjoyed your fishing and meeting Patrick.
Hope you have success tomorrow. Only problem is the water is very low at present, plus the bright sunlight, which makes the job a tad harder. Catching on the Dee is hard enough at the best of times

Now I've said that, you'll prove me wrong and catch a cracker.
Tight lines GB.
Hi GB,
Dee farm is one of my favourite beats with the views and scenery especially late in the evening or early morning when you get that golden hour of sunshine and the mist following the Dee valley. It’s a shame that it isn’t as prolific for the salmon runs as it used to be as my grandad use to tell stories of the runs he would watch going through under the bont bridge in Trevor.... but nothing beats being down the riverside casting a fly or spinner even if the odds are very low. Il be going down early hours in the morning tomorrow to chance my luck with some small Mepps and also get away from the nagging Mrs 🤭😂. Hopefully bump into you on the bank someday 👍🏻. Will update tomorrow if it’s a yay or nay day and will look out for any movement of salmon/sea trout 🤞🏻.
Thanks, Steve

Stevie0427

Reaction score
Hi all,
Apologies for the delayed update of the session I had on Thursday morning down the Dee Farm. Was down the river for 6am with the taid in law which was a lovely fresh morning, my taid in law was fishing the for trout to which there was plenty of fish rising around and some leaping a good foot out of the water 🚀 which was entertaining to see but only around the 1/4 to 1/2 Ib mark. He had a few takes on the surface but nothing landed but he really enjoyed the stretch as it was his first time fishing it 👍🏻. On the other hand I took the spinning rod and some small Mepps to try my luck on the salmon or sea trout but no joy as expected, I did have a few small brownies and salmon par chase after the spinner though but nothing showing or any movement of any salmon in that stretch as it’s too low still which I expected and also a little too early yet for them to reach these stretches. I did see on the Llangollen fishing club Facebook page that a 9Ib salmon was caught at Dee farm this week sometime though, so hopefully fingers crossed it’s the start of a summer run 🤞, well I won’t be going now for the next week or so due to having the annual fishing trip coming up this Wednesday until Saturday up Northumberland... tight lines to you all and good luck on the fishing 🎣 👍🏻
Steve

GeeBee

Reaction score
Hi All,

I might have a day or evening free in July on my way back from London, if i wanted to try for sea trout on one of the Maelor beats, what ticket would i buy ? - it says Trout £22 or Salmon £40, online.

Thanks

Mark

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All,

I might have a day or evening free in July on my way back from London, if i wanted to try for sea trout on one of the Maelor beats, what ticket would i buy ? - it says Trout £22 or Salmon £40, online.

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark - it’d be the £40 as sea trout are under the salmon bracket when it comes to membership ( and also rod licence definition). Just checked prices - wow- never knew the day prices/week prices were that high….!!! Cheers Patrick

GeeBee

Reaction score
Hi Mark - it’d be the £40 as sea trout are under the salmon bracket when it comes to membership ( and also rod licence definition). Just checked prices - wow- never knew the day prices/week prices were that high….!!! Cheers Patrick
Thanks Patrick.

It is a bit high, but comparable to the Cumbrian and Scottish border rivers.