Welsh Dee 2020

ray b

Reaction score
Looking like the season is over for me cause looks like anyone wanting to go fishing on the dee from outside Wales the fishing has been restricted for prince albert members at least.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Just got back from fishing,had a hell of a day today!

I got a salmon first cast about 11lb,it was 32inches long,didn’t weight it! I carried on fishing up and down the beat and I lost count at the amount of brownies I caught,most of which were in the 1-1.5lb range.

Their were absolutely loads of salmon running and jumping. On the way back to the car I stopped for “one last cast” and I then I caught another salmon about 18lb,it was just over 38inches it was a really good fish,I’m pretty sure it was over 20lb but I don’t want to get too carried away. Without doubt it would have come off on a treble hook-it was jumping all over the place and didn’t half put up a fight,the single hook was caught right in its scissors,I only lost one fish all day today which looked about 3lb-I’m guessing a seatrout or maybe a big brownie.
Then for good measure I got a grayling which was easy over 2lb.
By far my best days fishing on the Dee. Their is fish in it after all!

I believe theirs been a few salmon caught all through the system this weekend. Has anyone else been out?

one last go next Saturday then that’s it for the year😢

tight lines
Brilliant - that’s a beast of a fish at 18-20! Plus another fish. Great stuff. I read Andrew’s post and see he’s got into them as well. I’m so gutted I can’t get across for a shot. It’s been a back, back end river for as long as I’ve known it - always the last few weeks. And I’m not busy which always fecked it up past seasons. But happy for you,still time to get some more Tim!👍 tight lines, Patrick

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Patrick-if you read George’s Blog, he puts a very good case for going fishing and having an excuse if you live in England. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but as long as you act sensibly and don’t meet anyone I really don’t see the problem,afterall it’s going to be 11 months before the fishing’s good again! Or you can still quite legally without any “rule bending” go and fish the Dee up at llanderfel on a day ticket,think it’s £20 and last I looked Gwynedd isn’t in any kind of lockdown.......yet!

a mate of mine was out yesterday and he saw a lot of fish go past him and theirs been fish getting caught all along the river the last 3 or 4 days! Last year I didn’t catch any fish till October either. A mate of mine and Andrews has hooked 4 salmon over the weekend-and lost them all but he has landed 2 seatrout about 5lb!

good luck if you get out
Tight lines

Last edited:

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Patrick-sorry,I rushed that last message on my way into work,didn’t mean to sound abrupt!

it’s interesting what you said about it being a back end river,I remember last year a few guys out grayling fishing in November we’re reporting seeing lots of salmon running especially in Dee farm and a bit higher up towards corwen,their was also a few seen early December that I know of.Also one of the places I was working a guy that worked their showed me a video of salmon jumping the weir at erbistock in November,was loads of them!
Do you think then that we get a small early run of fish,(because a few were caught early on this year)then a few trickle through throughout the summer then the main run starts around now?
This is only my 4th season fishing the Dee and was only last year I even managed to catch one. I think next year though I’ll concentrate more when theirs water on as opposed to flogging it to death when it’s low and just stick to seatrout fishing for the most part until autumn.
I’d be interested to hear your thoughts about it?
Take care
Tim

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Patrick-sorry,I rushed that last message on my way into work,didn’t mean to sound abrupt!

it’s interesting what you said about it being a back end river,I remember last year a few guys out grayling fishing in November we’re reporting seeing lots of salmon running especially in Dee farm and a bit higher up towards corwen,their was also a few seen early December that I know of.Also one of the places I was working a guy that worked their showed me a video of salmon jumping the weir at erbistock in November,was loads of them!
Do you think then that we get a small early run of fish,(because a few were caught early on this year)then a few trickle through throughout the summer then the main run starts around now?
This is only my 4th season fishing the Dee and was only last year I even managed to catch one. I think next year though I’ll concentrate more when theirs water on as opposed to flogging it to death when it’s low and just stick to seatrout fishing for the most part until autumn.
I’d be interested to hear your thoughts about it?
Take care
Tim
No probs Tim I didn’t read it as abrupt. You are pretty much right on what I know of the river - been fishing it since around 2007 - so there will be far informed folk than me. Always a small trickle Of salmon - hardly ever see them splooshing until sept at Llangollen - and as long as I’ve known it the fish don’t come this far until sept/Oct- always slightly coloured/coloured which makes you wonder where they have sitting for so long - The big sea trout apparently come in early - the main body of fish June onwards but again - the big surge at Llangollen tends to be late aug/sept/Oct - which again begs where they have been sitting.

sounds brilliant at the moment- season finishes on the 17th so Welsh Dee season is mostly frantic run to the end of the season! Tight lines -when you get out.

Bothy Cat

Reaction score
Have fished the Dee for many years and the runs of fish broadly depend on water height in my opinion, so regular rainfall usually means running fish. In years gone by, I've seen fish moving through Erbistock in April and caught my one true Dee springer on 29th April. Many times I was the only angler on the river bank so no anglers means few fish reported. I once saw salmon surging through shallow water at Llandderfel in late March which was so unexpected. Maybe these were exceptions and hard to say how the runs changed as the years rolled by. According to the Bala Anglers website https://www.balaangling.co.uk/page3.html#Exchange they have four exchange tickets with Llangollen so I assume the reverse applies, clearly you will need to check this out. It's only for trout & grayling I think so you would have to pay for a salmon ticket (£20 a day or £95 a season)

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Patrick- that’s exactly what puzzles me,where do all these fish hide until they run at the end of the season,theirs certainly not that many caught lower down around Bangor and below,unless they just find a deep hole and literally switch off and “hibernate”

Apparently the big big seatrout come in on the high tides in May,a few different people have told me this,I think theirs also stories of 16 and 18lbers being caught in the trap in years gone by around this time too,which supports this!

My mate usually catches his first ST at Llangollen mid to late July but the best of the fishing as you say seems to be August time,I’ve only had 2 Dee ST this year which is strange and both of them were on the fly at night,I’ve not landed one at all while spinning,and as you know I’ve spent hours spinning🙈 their did seem to be a late run of them this year with myself and a few others spotting fish running in September (only small ones).
It’s a massive puzzle to put together isn’t it? I guess the only way to solve it is by spending time on the river.

BothyCat-I totally agree with what you say their,not many anglers fish early season and you’ve only got to read previous years forums posts where some of the diehards wouldn’t even fish till June because they weren’t allowed to take a fish🙈 maybe now that we can’t take fish all year it might encourage more anglers to get out early and who knows their might be a few about!

With the water situation I’ve only caught salmon on the Dee when it’s been above 750 but my mate got 2 the other week at 650 and I know they were catching salmon above corwen late June/July when it had been 450 and below for a while-I did wonder at the time how the hell they’d got that far up with no water! When I look at the conwy I’ll only go when it’s in flood for salmon as do most the locals and a lot of salmon are usually caught,when it’s low the odd one or two comes off but not as many,maybe it’s the same for the Dee where the odd one or two will still move about but the majority wait for water,plus it’s such a long river they literally could be anywhere most days!

ive never fished llanderfel but I will do next year,especially after the amount of fish I saw heading up that way on Sunday🎣🎣

tight lines all
Tim

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Patrick- that’s exactly what puzzles me,where do all these fish hide until they run at the end of the season,theirs certainly not that many caught lower down around Bangor and below,unless they just find a deep hole and literally switch off and “hibernate”

Apparently the big big seatrout come in on the high tides in May,a few different people have told me this,I think theirs also stories of 16 and 18lbers being caught in the trap in years gone by around this time too,which supports this!

My mate usually catches his first ST at Llangollen mid to late July but the best of the fishing as you say seems to be August time,I’ve only had 2 Dee ST this year which is strange and both of them were on the fly at night,I’ve not landed one at all while spinning,and as you know I’ve spent hours spinning🙈 their did seem to be a late run of them this year with myself and a few others spotting fish running in September (only small ones).
It’s a massive puzzle to put together isn’t it? I guess the only way to solve it is by spending time on the river.

BothyCat-I totally agree with what you say their,not many anglers fish early season and you’ve only got to read previous years forums posts where some of the diehards wouldn’t even fish till June because they weren’t allowed to take a fish🙈 maybe now that we can’t take fish all year it might encourage more anglers to get out early and who knows their might be a few about!

With the water situation I’ve only caught salmon on the Dee when it’s been above 750 but my mate got 2 the other week at 650 and I know they were catching salmon above corwen late June/July when it had been 450 and below for a while-I did wonder at the time how the hell they’d got that far up with no water! When I look at the conwy I’ll only go when it’s in flood for salmon as do most the locals and a lot of salmon are usually caught,when it’s low the odd one or two comes off but not as many,maybe it’s the same for the Dee where the odd one or two will still move about but the majority wait for water,plus it’s such a long river they literally could be anywhere most days!

ive never fished llanderfel but I will do next year,especially after the amount of fish I saw heading up that way on Sunday🎣🎣

tight lines all
Tim
bothycat once showed me a picture of - I think - a 22lb sea trout which came through Chester fish counter! (Hope that’s right BC - if you’ve got the pic would be great to see again). Who needs to go to Argentina when there’s beasts like that in the Welsh Dee!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Well,that’s the end of that for this year!

let’s hope next year we can fish in peace for the whole season with no restrictions and “public” policemen on the opposite bank asking us if we’ve travelled more than 5 miles to come fishing🙈

From chatting to people it appears the Dee has had a tremendous season this year,especially given the fact that fishing didn’t reallly start till late May and even then it was heavily restricted in terms of how far we (were supposed) to travel.

I fished two beats today,saw numerous salmon along both and I definitely lost 1 salmon and I hooked and lost 2 other decent fish,I would say they were salmon but a few casts later I landed a fish about 7/8lb I thought was a small salmon but upon closer inspection of the photo I took I realised it was actually a seatrout and it was pretty fresh too.

I realised today that size really does matter on these single hooks on spinners,I lost my modified mepps spinner in a tree,(well my black and silver one) so I was using a shop bought single hook one which had a much smaller hook on it and 3 fish came off,one would have probably come off anyway as it was only on for seconds but the other two were on for longer than normal when you end up losing them (if that makes sense)then came off from either jumping or violently shaking it’s head,I then swoppee to a red and gold mepps (Not my first choice in clear water)with a bigger hook(size1) and managed to land the first fish I hooked with it. I’ve also notice a lot of people are simply just cutting two of the hooks off a treble and that’s just not big enough either. I know small hooks are fine on flies etc but for a spinner it does appear that big is better.

has anyone else been out today?
I know a couple of salmon have been caught

tight lines

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Well,that’s the end of that for this year!

let’s hope next year we can fish in peace for the whole season with no restrictions and “public” policemen on the opposite bank asking us if we’ve travelled more than 5 miles to come fishing🙈

From chatting to people it appears the Dee has had a tremendous season this year,especially given the fact that fishing didn’t reallly start till late May and even then it was heavily restricted in terms of how far we (were supposed) to travel.

I fished two beats today,saw numerous salmon along both and I definitely lost 1 salmon and I hooked and lost 2 other decent fish,I would say they were salmon but a few casts later I landed a fish about 7/8lb I thought was a small salmon but upon closer inspection of the photo I took I realised it was actually a seatrout and it was pretty fresh too.

I realised today that size really does matter on these single hooks on spinners,I lost my modified mepps spinner in a tree,(well my black and silver one) so I was using a shop bought single hook one which had a much smaller hook on it and 3 fish came off,one would have probably come off anyway as it was only on for seconds but the other two were on for longer than normal when you end up losing them (if that makes sense)then came off from either jumping or violently shaking it’s head,I then swoppee to a red and gold mepps (Not my first choice in clear water)with a bigger hook(size1) and managed to land the first fish I hooked with it. I’ve also notice a lot of people are simply just cutting two of the hooks off a treble and that’s just not big enough either. I know small hooks are fine on flies etc but for a spinner it does appear that big is better.

has anyone else been out today?
I know a couple of salmon have been caught

tight lines
Cracking fish Tim, great way to finish the season

happy days

Reaction score
I was out Thursday for my one and only trip this year, fished through Duncan’s and then sludge and cottage pool, nothing for me, I heard a tagged fish had been caught in the sludge pool that morning 12/14 lb, my trip reminded me what a beautiful clear river the Dee is flowing through a lovely valley, if only there were a few more fish :)