Welsh Dee 2020

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
The walk definitely test you! When we went fishing Monday with that mindset of “no one fishes the top pool” we met a lad in the car park who’d fished it and also he said two others had been fishing before him! I’ve heard stories of some right fish coming out of their over the years though and funnily enough out of the fridge pool too,your right that’s the one by the fence on the walk up to the top.

I’ve just had a look and I thought the glide you were referring too was a bit higher up than it is where the brook comes in just down from the tail of Dee farm-all along their is good when it’s 700-800 with the salmon fly-so I’m told! The bit you fish is good with the spinner when it’s high.

Do you not fish Duncan’s pool and above the falls,that’s probably the best chance of a grayling,trout and seatrout-i got a grayling on a flying C a few weeks ago about 2lb when it low in the faster water just down from Duncan’s before the big clearing. It does get hammered down their but theirs also some decent brownies along that bit too,I’ve had a few on the spinner and my mates had a few on the fly too.

My mates been fishing today and he’s had 2 salmon straight after each other off the golf course. So they are still coming through-slowly at least!
I like fishing Duncan's - but most time when arrive someone's fishing it already so I'd rather have a crack at something no ones fished - although you'd have to say Duncan's is the most likely place for Salmon to sit - especially after going up and over the falls - and that's why everyone fishes it! I also like giving pipe pool a shot as I've seen a few fish over the years splashing there on the opposite side just above the tree.

2 fish - sounds positive!

Tight lines

Timxyz49

Reaction score
That’s fair enough-I think we get lucky because it’s very rare we see anyone else fishing but Duncan’s all the way to the falls does get hammered as it’s easy access and not much walking too.

Don’t know if you’ve seen it but that tree in the pipe pool has fallen over now so you can’t cast under it which was where you get the takes-a friend of ours has hooked 4 or 5 their in the last 12 months,spinning.

I’ve just been down Sutton green and fished the cottage and the bend above it and the run below it,didn’t even see a fish. Their was a lot of anglers fishing down their,usually I never see a soul,a couple on the Warrington bank and a couple on ours. By the sounds of it theirs been a few fish caught down their in the past 10 days or so,I’ll have another go down their later in the week.

I’ll try higher up for a few hours tomorrow,anyone had any luck today?

Tight lines

ray b

Reaction score
Gave it a good go down the boat and newbridge today for a few hours.water was crystal clear and a nice flow.again great to be out on the dee on a sunny day but no fish caught or seen today.must be fish showing up soon.got to keep on trying.good luck.

OURTREV

Reaction score
Good to hear that Welsh Dee anglers are getting some sport. Down south on the Wye things are so desperate the Wye thread appears to have expired!
Tightlines to you on the Dee. :D

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Gave it a good go down the boat and newbridge today for a few hours.water was crystal clear and a nice flow.again great to be out on the dee on a sunny day but no fish caught or seen today.must be fish showing up soon.got to keep on trying.good luck.
Unlucky Ray,they’ll turn up soon!! Hopefully!!

High tides start next weds with 4m tides next weekend so hopefully some decent fish will come in then,doesn’t look like we’ll have much water in the river although they are releasing 9cumecs a day out of llyn celyn for our friends the canoeists🙈

I actually saw 2 today pass me today at Sutton green,I’ve never seen them that far down before except obviously around Chester.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Knowing it would be a hot day I went earlyish (7am) - and fished Left Bank Duncan's pool - nothing doing - both on the salmon rod and Trout rod a couple of times - saw nothing - not a touch. But it was a beautiful morning - it was stunning, so didn't really mind. So crossed the river back to right bank (at this height 600+ you can get across below pipe pool) and fished it down with salmon rod but nothing either. Had a look at fishing above Horseshoe falls but it was already people-tastic by around 11am, so fecked that right off. Moved back up to where the trees stop on right bank Duncan's. Nothing rising - but stuck on a sedge and an Adams combo - and got 9 decent grayling from there until almost opposite the view to the 'big house'. First time i've had a decent session on Dy Fly with the Grayling - and most bigger than anything I've caught all season! Biggest probably pound and half. So that saved the day and when the dry fly is good - I'm happy to forget the Salmon fishing. I'd forgotten where the sandbar was on Duncan's - went in too early and filled my waders- so drove home piss-wet through but happy! I know it's the Salmon fishing forum - but I always think Grayling look amazing. Tight lines if you've been out - need another glug of water I think to get the Salmon moving again.

DSCF1681.JPG

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Just got home from fishing. Finally caught my first Dee seatrout of the season,2 of them,both on the fly in the dark!

I started off fishing at newbridge with the spinner but other than a parr I didn’t catch anything,I did see about 20 odd small seatrout running up river past me though.

I then went up to the top beat at Llangollen just as it was getting dark,I fished down from below Duncan’s pool with the fly and their was a lot of small fish rising and also some bigger fish splashing,their was a few decent seatrout which appeared to be running past also. When it finally got dark I got the first one on a surface lure about 1lb,after illuminating the river with my torch in excitement of my first Dee seatrout I fished on to the falls and didn’t get a touch but their was some really good splashed going on under the trees.
Just before I left I decided to give the gap a go where I got the fish and second cast I got another one which was just a bit bigger,again on the surface lure. Was pretty mild tonight and it’s due to be even warmer this week so theirs still some life left in night fishing for them I think,both fish I caught were really clean and still silver.

I’ll have another go one night this week up their and I’m going to have another go down Bodsaa too in the hope of finding a salmon.

ray b

Reaction score
Well done Tim on your sea trout and Patrick your right you can't beat dry fly for the grayling when you find a pod rising.fingers crossed for the next few weeks for the big fellows.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Just got home from fishing. Finally caught my first Dee seatrout of the season,2 of them,both on the fly in the dark!

I started off fishing at newbridge with the spinner but other than a parr I didn’t catch anything,I did see about 20 odd small seatrout running up river past me though.

I then went up to the top beat at Llangollen just as it was getting dark,I fished down from below Duncan’s pool with the fly and their was a lot of small fish rising and also some bigger fish splashing,their was a few decent seatrout which appeared to be running past also. When it finally got dark I got the first one on a surface lure about 1lb,after illuminating the river with my torch in excitement of my first Dee seatrout I fished on to the falls and didn’t get a touch but their was some really good splashed going on under the trees.
Just before I left I decided to give the gap a go where I got the fish and second cast I got another one which was just a bit bigger,again on the surface lure. Was pretty mild tonight and it’s due to be even warmer this week so theirs still some life left in night fishing for them I think,both fish I caught were really clean and still silver.

I’ll have another go one night this week up their and I’m going to have another go down Bodsaa too in the hope of finding a salmon.
Great stuff Tim - definitely sounds like there is a push of fish coming through. I wonder how many were already there when I was fishing but just being shy in the bright light. You’re on a roll now, tight lines if you are out again. I’ll see if I can get out later during the week - not much water on the horizon but should get cooler. Good to know you’ve seen fish coming through. Let’s hope the salmon move up as well.

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Great stuff Tim - definitely sounds like there is a push of fish coming through. I wonder how many were already there when I was fishing but just being shy in the bright light. You’re on a roll now, tight lines if you are out again. I’ll see if I can get out later during the week - not much water on the horizon but should get cooler. Good to know you’ve seen fish coming through. Let’s hope the salmon move up as well.
Thanks Patrick!
I think In the daytime especially when it’s bright you’ve got no chance,except in the streamier water(like just below Duncan’s before the big gap) their tucked in right to the bank,the second one I caught when I put it back I had my torch on full beam as we were leaving and it just swam into the bank and burrowed its head right in,so I assume that’s what their doing in the daytime. So they won’t even see the fly/spinner.

Where you were fishing yesterday is the main areas we concentrate on in the day,I rarely venture down much below the gap until dusk or unless it’s really high as it’s usually like a circus with walkers/paddlers/canoers etc plus it’s like glass and their hard to catch when it’s light,it’s great down their in the dark though.

Doesn’t look like much water at all but at least when it does rise that will be the time to hammer it as surely they’ll be a few salmon stacked up lower down,especially with high tides due.

Try again tonight anyway,may as well while theirs fish around as it’s a rare occurrence on the Dee at the moment.

Tight lines

gbanjo

Reaction score
Well done Tim, I admire your enthusiasm and you seem to put a lot of effort in. I was always told years ago. You catch fish by attendance. That seems to apply even more nowadays.

The pool above Horseshoe falls, is one of the best places for Seatrout. Unfortunately lights, and sometimes even the full moon doesn't work well with Seatrout. They head straight under the bank when spooked and you may as well go home.

Hope you know there's a restriction on fishing above and below falls. I think it's about 25/30mtrs.

Using a head torch is best, with red lense. I think they now make one with dual lenses. Red to fish, clear to find your way back off the river.

The surface lure works well on that pool. Tied on a riffle hitch. Try an 1.25mm aluminium tube, with black squirrel tied in two bunches opposite each other, or plastic tube same tying, with a small hole at the back of the head, to pass the leader through. Failing that just tie a hitch over the head of the aluminium one. Block the hole at the front of the plastic tube with varnish.

Hooked a Seatrout of 6/7 lbs in daylight about three weeks ago. Second cast. On a Sunray, tied with the hitch. It took the fly as I lifted it of the water. The length of my singlehanded 11' away. It was on, turned over twice, and then waved goodbye. River height was only 56/7. That's why I was fishing a surface lure trying to move a Salmon.

Keep trucking tight lines.
Gbanjo.

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Well done Tim, I admire your enthusiasm and you seem to put a lot of effort in. I was always told years ago. You catch fish by attendance. That seems to apply even more nowadays.

The pool above Horseshoe falls, is one of the best places for Seatrout. Unfortunately lights, and sometimes even the full moon doesn't work well with Seatrout. They head straight under the bank when spooked and you may as well go home.

Hope you know there's a restriction on fishing above and below falls. I think it's about 25/30mtrs.

Using a head torch is best, with red lense. I think they now make one with dual lenses. Red to fish, clear to find your way back off the river.

The surface lure works well on that pool. Tied on a riffle hitch. Try an 1.25mm aluminium tube, with black squirrel tied in two bunches opposite each other, or plastic tube same tying, with a small hole at the back of the head, to pass the leader through. Failing that just tie a hitch over the head of the aluminium one. Block the hole at the front of the plastic tube with varnish.

Hooked a Seatrout of 6/7 lbs in daylight about three weeks ago. Second cast. On a Sunray, tied with the hitch. It took the fly as I lifted it of the water. The length of my singlehanded 11' away. It was on, turned over twice, and then waved goodbye. River height was only 56/7. That's why I was fishing a surface lure trying to move a Salmon.

Keep trucking tight lines.
Gbanjo.
Thanks Gbanjo!
Do you mean the pool on the bend directly above the falls? I’ve never had any luck from their but I always fish slightly above it on the straight but near the bottom of it,I don’t seem to have much luck higher up and my mate doesn’t have any luck lower down and fishes higher up......

Unlucky with the seatrout,so frustrating when they come off isn’t it? Was that on Llangollen water? Their has been numerous seatrout between 4-6lb caught this season all along the Dee and a few from Llangollen too.

I’ve got a great head torch,it’s a nightcore one with a red and white light,I try not to use it too much except for “emergencies”,some nights go better than others though!

I’ll have to try that riffle hitch for a surface lure,thankyou!

I’ve just got back In from fishing and what a difference 24 hours makes,we fished ddol isa first and I got a very small seatrout and a brown trout while fly fishing “trying” to catch a salmon and my mate got a brownie-river was perfect and lovely flow down their.

Then we went up to the falls and started fishing the tail of Duncan’s (a5) side and first cast my mate got a seatrout but it was pretty coloured,couple of casts later he got a nice brownie.

It got dark pretty quickly but it wasn’t pitch black all night,we waded down all the way from just below Duncan’s to the usual “getting” out spot below the clearing,I didn’t get so much as a knock,my mate got another brownie,then I went to try my usual spot with both a tube fly and a surface lure and didn’t get a thing,my mate lost 2 fish on the surface lure but that was it,very few fish splashing tonight,it appears last night their must have been a few fresher fish just coming through and I got lucky.

I’ll try again weds for a salmon down Bodsaa but I think we’re going to need a bit of rain first. Anyone else out this week
Tight lines
Tim

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Well I’ve just got back from fishing 7 miles of river,I’m knackered!

Started fishing at lower hall and walked all the way to Sutton green,I fished all the places I could in between including the couple of “hotspots” down their and I didn’t even see a salmon. Was loads of small fish rising and was plenty of small seatrout coming through too.

The banks are really overgrown and it’s hard work but I tried-I can’t seem to get away from these canoeists at the moment,one guy went straight through a pool I was fishing by the chicken sheds🙈

Theirs a lovely flow down their even though the rivers “low” on the Manley gauge.

Anyone else been out today?
I’ll have another try at the weekend
Tight lines

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I was down today around 7am. Fished fridge to channels in and out. Low and clear - didn’t see anything - but there again it was Quite bright. Tried a mini sunray and also a hitch for salmon and sea trout but nothing- however the dry fly was once again, amazing. Nothing massive but good catch of grayling biggest around a 1lb - and a couple half decent brownies- all on a sedge/Small Adams Combo. We need a decent drop of water to get things moving again (or if you can night time fish like Tim was doing) - then assume the sea trout are around. Tight lines if you are out. Cheers, Patrick

gbanjo

Reaction score
Hello Tim.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been trying to finish a painting job. Earning brownie points.

I meant the length after the bend, up to Duncan's tail.

Lost fish not on Llangollen. A syndicate beat.

Thought you would have a head light, The wartime,phrase from Dads army, should help jog your memory." Put that light out ". ;)

Hope you soon get a result with hitched flies, makes your miss a beat.

Tight lines
G.B.

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Well I had a change today and went pike fishing instead.
I wonder where I get these ideas sometimes- was out the house by 5.45am,arrived at the reservoir about 7.30am and it was absolutely blowing a gale,cold and was busier than I would have liked,after fishing from 8-4 I gave up,I got one small pike about 6lb ish so at least it wasn’t a blank but was still a “difficult” day.

I believe their was a salmon caught at Llangollen yesterday,I don’t know which beat though the lads put it on the Welsh dee Facebook page.

Patrick-sounds like you had a good day on the Dry fly yesterday,if I go to the river before it rains I’m going to give it a go myself,does look like theirs some rain from weds onwards👍👍

GB-that’s the main place we fish at night and last year we had quite a few fish,don’t know why but this year their very thin on the ground,I think it’s more a case that when we go we miss them. Have you ever nightfished the tail of Dee farm for them-I keep meaning too! Guess I’ll have to wait till next season now before trying

Tight lines

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Went down to Llangollen today just in case there were border restrictions in the offing later this week. I was hoping to wait for the rain but thought I’d best go in case that would be the season finished. Still super low - fished Duncan’s right and left bank. Gave the switch rod a blast on left bank down through all the obvious bits - nothing doing. Then got distracted with the Grayling again - one half decent trout as well. Still need that rain! Tight lines if you get out.

Timxyz49

Reaction score
Patrick,at least you had a good session on the grayling and trout,was anyone else fishing?

We went bass fishing yesterday since it was really bright and the river was low but other than my mate getting a tiny bass we blanked 🙈.

Looks like theirs “showers” at least coming through the week,let’s just hope a few are heavy and prolonged to get the rivers up,it looks like they all could use it.

I think it’s inevitable that theirs going to be further “restrictions” even after he announces the ones tonight but hopefully it’s after the 17th October.

As soon as it rains I’ll be out again,even a little rise to 600/650 should do the trick but their must be a few fish moving between pools even now,they might not want to go over the falls or the weir lower down but they should be moving between the pools in between. Hopefully we have a fishing bonanza on the next rise

Tight lines🎣🎣

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Patrick,at least you had a good session on the grayling and trout,was anyone else fishing?

We went bass fishing yesterday since it was really bright and the river was low but other than my mate getting a tiny bass we blanked 🙈.

Looks like theirs “showers” at least coming through the week,let’s just hope a few are heavy and prolonged to get the rivers up,it looks like they all could use it.

I think it’s inevitable that theirs going to be further “restrictions” even after he announces the ones tonight but hopefully it’s after the 17th October.

As soon as it rains I’ll be out again,even a little rise to 600/650 should do the trick but their must be a few fish moving between pools even now,they might not want to go over the falls or the weir lower down but they should be moving between the pools in between. Hopefully we have a fishing bonanza on the next rise

Tight lines🎣🎣
no not a soul apart from me down there. Looks like decent rain is coming. Wading through Duncan’s I can see where fish might lie at a decent height. With it so low and clear (Right bank) I was able to Get a good view of terrain. Tight lines when the rains come

Timxyz49

Reaction score
no not a soul apart from me down there. Looks like decent rain is coming. Wading through Duncan’s I can see where fish might lie at a decent height. With it so low and clear (Right bank) I was able to Get a good view of terrain. Tight lines when the rains come
When are you fishing again Patrick? Or is it rain dependant?
Looking at the weather looks like a stready downpour up at bala today and tomorrow so the weekend could produce a fish hopefully 🎣🎣

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
When are you fishing again Patrick? Or is it rain dependant?
Looking at the weather looks like a stready downpour up at bala today and tomorrow so the weekend could produce a fish hopefully 🎣🎣
Doubt I’ll get out now until the last week of the season! Hopefully the river will be stuffed with fish by then!!

tight lines Tim and anyone else who manages to get out.

gbanjo

Reaction score
Let's hope we get some reasonable water soon, and a good run of fish.
I am even fed up tying flies now. What's more I've stopped taking trout an salmon after the price hike with the inclusion of Stillwater fishing. The Salmon section is as depleted as the Salmon runs. Don't really want to know about washing lines, have one at home with unmentionables on.😁
Gbanjo