Welcome to Yorkshire - Fishing the River Ure

MCXFisher

Reaction score
SP8
First, thank you for your kind words.
The evidence suggests that springers start running the Ure very early in the year, subject as ever to the trigger of water flow. So in general, given water they will come any time from Christmas onwards. The weir at Tanfield/Mickley does appear to be a temperature barrier, which leads to fish stacking up in the stretch between Boroughbridge and Mickley in the early months of the year. In that respect Sleningford is the most easily accessible water below Tanfield and blessed with some very good holding pools.

If you get a wet spring through April and May there could be a steady flow of fish past Ripon offering opportunities. Under those conditions I've encountered salmon as far upstream as Aysgarth in early May. Interestingly, some of those that go furthest and early are also very large, but correspondingly few in number as they are spread out across the 30-40 miles of river upstream of Boroughbridge. So on that basis I don't think you would have to wait for June to catch fish at Ripon: indeed, quite the reverse, as evidenced by rods catching 6 springers at Newby over the opening weekend in April 2018.

As regards the spring/summer/autumn run balance I consider that water levels have a huge amount to do with run outcomes. While fish may want to run early, without the trigger of good flow and associated scents, they may well hang about offshore or in the Humber. This year we only had 6mm of rain in March and zero in April. As a write the gauge at Kilgram is solid at MSL (32cm), where it's been for the past 7 weeks, so there's no great incentive to run and Mickley becomes a physical obstacle if they do. As a result, in some years I've caught silver and grey fish up at Thoresby in September (the picture at the end the slides is an August fish), and in others there was no clear autumn run. I'm correspondingly reluctant to generalise. However, you are correct in stating that the river below Masham is very lightly fished, which gives us an incomplete picture of the runs, except when they are most concentrated around Ripon earlier in the season. The other distorting factor is that on the upper beats, by the time you reach September, given water earlier in the year, there may be so many spring and summer runners gathered that the statistical chance of you connecting with a fresh autumn runner amongst them is much reduced.

I hope that helps, even if it's very broad brush.

SP8

Reaction score
Thank you Michael, you make good sense as usual. We seem to be getting very unpredictable weather these days and water levels seem to be feast or famine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the easing of lockdown coincides with a nice period of rain. We can but dream.

SP8

Paul White

Reaction score
I can vouch for the River Ure.

I fished Thoresby for 3 days, two years ago and although we had great water the fishing was spoiled for all 3 days by clear felling at the top of the river which made the water like sludge most of the time. Even so, I lost a fish and my brother in Law caught his first ever salmon on the top pool (Froddle Dub)of the upper water.

Would highly recommend a visit for the beauty of Yorkshire, Bolton Castle, hospitality at The White Swan at Middleham and the fly fishing water to die for. Brian Towers is also a great guide and was a great help to my B-in-Law "!:thumb::thumb:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Thank you Paul. Let's hope that the next time you come to Yorkshire you get good water and lots more fish.

The clear felling you refer to was most unfortunate, in that the forestry block was astride a seam of white clay, which once disturbed and wetted by rain led to large volumes of very fine white silt entering the river. As it was so light it persisted for ages and degraded the fishing for miles of otherwise first class water.

Paul White

Reaction score
Yes it was a great shame Michael, but just one of those things. Brian was very cross!

When we are back to normal I would love to fish it again and also come up and do some shooting on those wonderful shoots you have in Yorkshire. I shot Reeth three years ago and that was brilliant, but would like to shoot some of the pheasant shoots too!!

All the very best!!

ACW

Reaction score
Really got me tempted ,once the lockdown on hotels/b&bs ect is over I am very keen ,a salmon river that doesnt involve running up the A9!

Karl-K

Reaction score
Thanks for some great information, our club has a beat at Masham that I keep saying I’ve got to get over and try, after watching that I’m even more determined to get across and wet a line

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
If the fishing isn't up to much and the weather is good, there is some amazing scenery and walking in the area. I know the Hawes, Leyburn, Aysgarth, Bolton Castle areas best. On a sunny day, probably as picturesque as anywhere in England.

ashley

Reaction score
it's a shame their isn't a few more day tickets on the upper Ure..... I've fished Swinton and Thoresby, both lovely pieces of water...

Rennie

Reaction score
Thing is!, if the fishings **** there's the ale!, god help you after a full day on that.Then explain to the Mrs. why she has to drive xxx miles to come n pick you up because your legs have stopped working!
Pedro.

Jeff

Reaction score
I have posted a short slideshow on YouTube describing the River Ure and its main beats.

Well done Michael. A very comprehensive introduction to a river system known to me only in part through JIW. Not sure I’ll get there this year but will certainly have it on my list for 2021.
jeff

Walleye

Reaction score
Excellent, thank you very much for taking the time. I'll have to give it a shot some time once I can get over the habit of always driving north or west for my salmon fishing:)
Is there also a sea trout run on the Ure?