Welcome to the Grayling section

Springer

Reaction score
Since the salmon season is all but closed now I think a few of us will be hitting the rivers for grayling over the winter, as a result I have created a specific section dedicated to grayling fishing.

I know one or two very experienced grayling fishers on this forum so maybe we will all learn a few things from each other? Equally it will give us an excuse for posting some pictures of nice fish and frosty looking rivers. :)

speers

Reaction score
nice, lets hope this section takes off.
im thinking of going this weekend actually, i had one last sunday abliet whilst salmon fishing but it was close to 3lb and it fought very well , at first i thought it was a small grilse , they really are a fantastic fish, i hope some of the good grayling fishers get some piccie's up.

ACW

Reaction score

Just a few pictures of the bit of chalkstream carrier where I host grayling days through the winter .

speers

Reaction score
Looks great ACW, im looking forward to targeting some big grayling this year as last year was to baltic for my liking, ( the river froze over):eek:
hoping for a much milder one this winter.

speers

Reaction score
would love to have a try at grayling fishing but i dont think theirs any nearby :(

as mentioned before look up the grayling society, they will most likely have a list of rivers that have stocks of grayling.

Last edited:

sagegareth

Reaction score
Thanks mate but i cant seem to find any info and dont really understand the concept of the website , for what i got they have no fishing rights so theirfore permitas must be aquired from elsewhere and the charge £28 per anum for what ? im not sure .Please correct me lol

D

Deleted member 1812

River Wharfe

The River Wharfe Grayling have been virtually non existent for the last couple of seasons. Although I had one last year of over 2.5lbs. I havn't been yet this year but I will be once I get my Tweed trips over and done with...;)

flyvirgin

Reaction score
lamington Grayling

A nice Grayling from Lamington there are bigger there and plenty of them.

bradan

Reaction score
Does Scotland have a specific season start and end for Grayling?:confused:

I think it's done by river/beat. The Earn is generally 15 Nov - 15 Jan although in the past I've seen anglers on the Lochlane beat during the first two weeks of Nov. Kinkell and Crieff AC offer Grayling fishing. The Crieff water has a no wading or crossing rule.

willchurch

Reaction score
Nymph rod

I'm down to the Wilts Avon a few times every year after the grayling. I'm feeling the need for a proper nymph rod, used for czech nymphing from the bank - anyone got any comments on the few available? David Norwich does a couple of 10 and 10'6 3/4 weights which I might buy and build (still higher end of the market and my budget, even if the hand built quality justifies it). Any comments lads?

SP8

Reaction score
I'm down to the Wilts Avon a few times every year after the grayling. I'm feeling the need for a proper nymph rod, used for czech nymphing from the bank - anyone got any comments on the few available? David Norwich does a couple of 10 and 10'6 3/4 weights which I might buy and build (still higher end of the market and my budget, even if the hand built quality justifies it). Any comments lads?

I have the Greys 5wt Streamflex 10ft which works very well for Czech nymphs and doubles as a great boat rod for dries in particular. I hear good things about the 4wt and I believe there are some places discounting them as a new model is coming out.

SP8

flyvirgin

Reaction score

Bloke 10' 5# is spot on.

yorkshirelad15

Reaction score
The River Wharfe Grayling have been virtually non existent for the last couple of seasons. Although I had one last year of over 2.5lbs. I havn't been yet this year but I will be once I get my Tweed trips over and done with...;)

I only had a couple of Wharfe trips last winter and blanked. However I caught quite a few over the summer at Ilkley. Also some people on the fly fishing forum seem to have had a decent time of it down at Pool last winter - whereabouts on the Wharfe do you tend to fish for grayling?

seabass

Reaction score
Grayling Fishing.

This is something i have not had the pleaser of doing, but would like to take part in having ago.
If there is anyone that would be interested in showing a novice how to go on graying fishing, i would be interested in having ago.

Chris.

ACW

Reaction score
My days on kennet carriers are a good starter for new to the river and especially new to grayling .
the usual mix of folks who have been before and have learnt "the ropes"and new guys sharing their knowledge works well
I often dont put up my tackle until 12 .30 when I fire up the BBQ for lunch ,having spent the morning trying to get "grayling virgins" into their first fish ,often their first river fish .
I get a huge buzz out of ,seeing someone hook and land that all important first fish .
dont always succeed.last trip spent a couple of hours ,and passed the guy on to Wes the tattoo and peircing expert ,who had him in fish in short order:)

graylinghunter

Reaction score
I Love my grayling fishing one of the reasons I set up the graylinghunter web site over 10 years ago..
I have had a couple that weighed near the 4lbs mark... 4lbs plus is a personal goal...:D

I am not showing off....:p well yes a little this is my PB

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
bloke 11ft 3 weight river bugger

I have this rod in an as new condition only used a couple of times.I just cant get used to it so looking for a reasonable offer for it.

Any Takers

chris