weired wonderfull but shouldn't be there

marty31

Reaction score
Sitting eating lunch last week, social distancing as the previous 8 months one in one vehicle one in other 4 metres apart, one facing one way one facing the other, my work mate, who knows naff all about birds, but knows I have a little knowledge, had been watching a strange bird feeding, this , in a farm yard, in and around, where the farmer had just shifted some old, last years either straw or hay bales, he mentioned twice, and I turned round, looked, saw the bird, but couldn't see enough to identify it. finally I got out of my car, and walked over to the strange, not too shy bird, it eventually flew away only to return 10 minutes later! I knew what it was! I had seen one before in Egypt, and knew we got a few over here, I thought just in summer, down country, but unmistakably a "hoopoe" of all things, pied wings, peach colourings, thin long curved beak, and when alerted, the unmistakable raised crest, no doubt at all, put a post about it on the bird forum, a lot of people poo hood it and said it was a jay! na, no way! then a poster said "very probable" as one had been observed at lynmouth a town 15-20 miles away and had been hanging round for a week or two, it never returned as we kept a eye out, but (if you could be bothered) another one to tick of in the book.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few wild parrots or parakeets I think they are...flying over whilst at work.

Handel

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few wild parrots or parakeets I think they are...flying over whilst at work.
We have had them in London for decades. They now fly around in flocks making the most hideous noise and they take up a lot of the nesting sites that would be used by our traditional bird population. A bye-law was passed a few years ago to cull them they are that much of a nuisance. Don't let them get a hold if you can avoid it or you will regret it.

lefthandup

Reaction score
We have had them in London for decades. They now fly around in flocks making the most hideous noise and they take up a lot of the nesting sites that would be used by our traditional bird population. A bye-law was passed a few years ago to cull them they are that much of a nuisance. Don't let them get a hold if you can avoid it or you will regret it.
I don't think there's that many tbh....I see/hear one flying overhead ...seems to be a routine for it.
Makes a hell of a racket ?

marty31

Reaction score
You are getting them mixed up with pigeons ya muppet

lefthandup

Reaction score
Yeah a bit like them fish you reckon you keep catching! Dreamed up when ya sleeping ??
Behave yourself.....now your sounding like the guy who claims it's a Jay you've seen.

My workmate seen one in his neighbours back garden too... apparently feeds it on a regular basis.

I

lefthandup

Reaction score
First time I saw one...(well I heard it first)

I looked up and it squawked..."Marty's coming...I'm outa here"..... apparently it was on its way to London to get away from you .

greenhut

Reaction score
Marty, I’m not sure if they are rare up here but I’ve seen little egrets on the Aln and the Tyne on a few occasions this year

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
I thought the Parrot Sunray was on the vice, but sadly I couldn’t catch it in my bandy net and it flew off into the sunset heading for Norway never to be seen again ?

marty31

Reaction score
Marty, I’m not sure if they are rare up here but I’ve seen little egrets on the Aln and the Tyne on a few occasions this year
On the aln! Sitting looking at the aln now out my living room window, seen one regular on our tweed fishing, then their was a pair (couple of years ago) then they must have moved or maybe worse!

lefthandup

Reaction score
Anyway...about the parrot, I'm deadly serious... they're quite common in the UK.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score

First time I saw some parakeets, I thought wow, how exotic. But soon realised they multiply rapidly and completely take over and dominate. As you say, control them early on if they do appear in your area.

lefthandup

Reaction score
On the aln! Sitting looking at the aln now out my living room window, seen one regular on our tweed fishing, then their was a pair (couple of years ago) then they must have moved or maybe worse!
Don't worry...Ginger will shoot them !

marty31

Reaction score
Parrots, parakeets, etc ha ha but education is needed! The hoopoe is a thin billed exotic bird with a THIN beak, insect eating, more in the woodpecker family, not thick beaked like fruit, and nut eating parrots ???