Wee Undertaker and an experiment

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Since tying 'The Wet Hen' a few weeks ago, I've been using peacock herl for body material a but more. Not a material we see too often in salmon flies but has a nice finish and plenty of natural sparkle to it.

I saw the Undertaker online and decided to try one on a size 8 trout double. It might do well for me when the water drops but is still carrying a tinge of colour in it.

IMG_20210609_124818.jpg

As usual, my mind started overthinking and I thought I could brighten the pattern up a bit with Willie Gunn Colours.

So, I mixed some yellow and orange bucktail and put a thin layer of tanuki over it to dull it down.

IMG_20210609_155115.jpg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Never tried Tanuki but it looks a lovely winging material Jockie.
Very nice👍

Cheers Sir! 🙂

Tanuki is a lovely material but it may not suit everyone. It is very soft and mobile and can lay very flat in heavy streams. It's not so bad for me as the places I fish most often go flat very quickly after a spate and I like the extra movement for those pools.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
These really look great fish catchers.
They would be straight on my dropper.

Thanks Mows. 👍

I think the one on the black hook could go anywhere on the cast. Or put it on point and the wee one on the dropper! 😁

Cheers Sir! 👍

Jockiescott

Reaction score
nice flies there.... coloured water? you must have got the only bit of rain in the country :cry:

Cheers woodsy. 👍

No, not for using just today but hopefully soon in the not too distant future! 🤞

It will take a monsoon to put a foot of water on my river at the minute and the height will be gone about 3 days before the colour goes out of it. Such is the storm drain formerly known as the River Faughan. 😥