Wee francis' with boar bristles

Woodsy

Reaction score
Got a few offcuts of boar bristles recently in various colours so decided to try a few Francis's flies.

I done a couple of size 14s tied in the typical way, a couple of 14s with just varnished thread and wire as the body and a few size 18s micro trebles.

Unsure what makes the best feelers as the hair ranges from very thick to very thin so I've just made a mix of then. Even unsure if they are quality bristles. What have you had success on?
20210411_205542.jpg

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Got a few offcuts of boar bristles recently in various colours so decided to try a few Francis's flies.

I done a couple of size 14s tied in the typical way, a couple of 14s with just varnished thread and wire as the body and a few size 18s micro trebles.

Unsure what makes the best feelers as the hair ranges from very thick to very thin so I've just made a mix of then. Even unsure if they are quality bristles. What have you had success on?
View attachment 59828
They look great - on smaller frances I’ve seen a few styles. When Dr Jonas had his fly site (think Iceland) he had wee frances still with stiffer hackle stalks - but short. I’m the same as you on small frances and just gone with boar bristles. Anyway, they look belters.

Woodsy

Reaction score
They look great - on smaller frances I’ve seen a few styles. When Dr Jonas had his fly site (think Iceland) he had wee frances still with stiffer hackle stalks - but short. I’m the same as you on small frances and just gone with boar bristles. Anyway, they look belters.
Cheers Patrick, I've also ordered some of the tip dyed ones you have been using to give them a go 👍

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Cheers Patrick, I've also ordered some of the tip dyed ones you have been using to give them a go 👍
Yep - there's a mix of thick and thin in them. Some of thicker ones you wouldn't put on a piggie style - but perfect for these (y) - maybe give it a little more 'chatter' as they swim and a bit of crunch for the silvery beasts