Weber Q 1200 bbq

Hemmy

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a wee gas bbq and like the look of these.
Not done anything bbqing for 20 odd years.
Can anyone recommend the 1200 or come up with alternatives please ?

D

Deleted member 945

I have the small Weber and it’s good but the cast iron grill is a pain to clean and has got worse recently. I think they have updated the material by the look of it. I’m thinking of buying a replacement grill insert as they do sell them as spares

paddymc

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a wee gas bbq and like the look of these.
Not done anything bbqing for 20 odd years.
Can anyone recommend the 1200 or come up with alternatives please ?

Honestly, if you want a bbq, then the only tasty route is one that burns charcoal, not gas.

I know that gas is more covenient, but you can’t beat the real deal ?

D

Deleted member 945

I have both. Gas midweek when you cant be arsed to wait - end up using it loads in good weather for anything that will go on it!

ArchieL

Reaction score
My only input is that on a recent holiday over to Oz to stay with relatives is that they all used "Weber" BBQ's . Seem to be rated as the best by the Ozzies so i would assume they have been put through their paces in Oz before being sold over here. My favourite item was a little plug in rotisary which sat on the BBQ and spun round the lamb kebabs and chicken kebabs. Seemed we ate out in the gardens almost every night in Oz which was great. FWIW i could not live over there as i would be a raging alcoholic as the constant nice BBQ weather results in night after night of BBQ and beers, Good when on holiday but it could become a bad ;)habit

sgellert

Reaction score
I have a Weber 1200, which has an "enamel" coating of some sort, so cleaning is very easy.
I've just been using it this season, and don't really have much to compare it to, but overall been very happy, tasty burgers, steaks and hotdogs !
Only drawback I've noticed, if its very windy, it can be difficult to get the temperature high enough, but that goes for most I'd imagine ?

Hemmy

Reaction score
Thank you for that Sgellert.
Do you use the small screw in.cannisters or a large bottle with an adaptor?

Last edited:

Hemmy

Reaction score
My only input is that on a recent holiday over to Oz to stay with relatives is that they all used "Weber" BBQ's . Seem to be rated as the best by the Ozzies so i would assume they have been put through their paces in Oz before being sold over here. My favourite item was a little plug in rotisary which sat on the BBQ and spun round the lamb kebabs and chicken kebabs. Seemed we ate out in the gardens almost every night in Oz which was great. FWIW i could not live over there as i would be a raging alcoholic as the constant nice BBQ weather results in night after night of BBQ and beers, Good when on holiday but it could become a bad ;)habit

Weber do seem to have a good reputation with prices to match

Hemmy

Reaction score
Honestly, if you want a bbq, then the only tasty route is one that burns charcoal, not gas.

I know that gas is more covenient, but you can’t beat the real deal ?
I appreciate what you are saying but need the convenience of gas

Hemmy

Reaction score
I have the small Weber and it’s good but the cast iron grill is a pain to clean and has got worse recently. I think they have updated the material by the look of it. I’m thinking of buying a replacement grill insert as they do sell them as spares

Thank you
I understand the new type two piece grill plates are supposed to be much better to clean etc,
Do you use the small cannisters or do you use an adaptor and large bottle ?

D

Deleted member 945

Thank you
I understand the new type two piece grill plates are supposed to be much better to clean etc,
Do you use the small cannisters or do you use an adaptor and large bottle ?

I use a large bottle. I do have the option of the small canister but never move it so stick with a big bottle

Rrrr

Reaction score
If you are planning on using it alot its easier to grab a 47kg propane and itl last for years. They come with a patio gas adapter which is the same stuff but a fancy bottle with a gauge and click on connector rather than the reverse thread of the propane.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hemmy

Reaction score
I use a large bottle. I do have the option of the small canister but never move it so stick with a big bottle

is it easy to change from one to the other?

Hemmy

Reaction score
If you are planning on using it alot its easier to grab a 47kg propane and itl last for years. They come with a patio gas adapter which is the same stuff but a fancy bottle with a gauge and click on connector rather than the reverse thread of the propane.

I need it for use both at home and when l am on my travels

Rrrr

Reaction score
I need it for use both at home and when l am on my travels
Patio gas may be the better option then as they do a really small bottle too aswel as a bigger one.

D

Deleted member 945

is it easy to change from one to the other?

Hmmm I haven’t done it for a while but I don’t remember it being difficult. I can have a look later. I think you need an adapter but I just picked that up in a caravan supply shop when I got the large bottle. Actually I’m probably due a refill!

ibm59

Reaction score
I’m still looking for a Lodge Sportsman’s grill in the UK at a sensible price.
Rare as hen’s teeth.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the brand or model you mention but most gas BBQs can be made to use lava rocks.

I put some grills in the bottom of my gas BBQ, just above the burners, and put a layer of lava rocks on top. They seem to hold the heat better and cooking seems to be much more even. Fat dropping down onto the rocks creates more smoke too for a much better flavour.

SalmoNewf

Reaction score
I’ve had a Weber 1200 for four years and it’s had a lot of use, winter as well as summer (it’s outside the back door and gets shoveled out after every snowfall). I can’t recommend it highly enough and have never had a problem with the wind blowing it out....and Newfoundland is a very windy place.

sgellert

Reaction score
Thank you for that Sgellert.
Do you use the small screw in.cannisters or a large bottle with an adaptor?

I use it with the 450 gram canisters, that seem to last for maybe 4-5 meals, so guess 1½-2 hour total time.
I use it mostly when staying in AirBnBs while fishing, so it needs to be portable.
For me its perfect, since one of the places I visit has a really bad kitchen, so being able to do part of the cooking on the grill is great !

AlanT

Reaction score
I’m still looking for a Lodge Sportsman’s grill in the UK at a sensible price.
Rare as hen’s teeth.
How about a BBQ Toro, they seem to be the same bbq, been tempted by one myself?
Screenshot_20200615-163410_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Hemmy

Reaction score
I’ve had a Weber 1200 for four years and it’s had a lot of use, winter as well as summer (it’s outside the back door and gets shoveled out after every snowfall). I can’t recommend it highly enough and have never had a problem with the wind blowing it out....and Newfoundland is a very windy place.

Thank you for that info....much appreciated