We Will Remember Them

• Thread starter Deleted member 1812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1812

We've done this for the last few years and it seemed popular and why shouldn't it be.
Change your avatar to show your support for the brave men and women of our armed services.
We will remember them..:)

My Gt Uncle and a proud Seaforth Highlander
[URL=http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/simongrace2/media/CopyofJCSHglndrs.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m614/simongrace2/CopyofJCSHglndrs.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Pte James Cahill-Seaforth Highlanders
Died of wounds Battle of Cambrai December 1917

A copy from a page of The Seaforth Highlanders Memorial Book at The Scottish National War Memorial
Edinburgh Castle
20171102_193644.jpg

20171102_193835.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Simon,

one again, on behalf of the service and veteran community and their families, many thanks for your annual initiative.

Michael

Aled

Reaction score
My Grandcha Harold, survived WWII, but was wounded twice. I wish I'd taken him to the pub bought him a pint (or three he liked a nice pint) and asked him about his time. He would not of told me everything but he would of shared some of his experiences with me I'm pretty sure. Too late now of course, yes we should remember.
Cheers
Aled

AlanT

Reaction score
My avatar is dedicated to my wife’s grandfather. He is listed as a Scot who served with an English Regiment (originally a Scots Guard and later served with the Suffolk Regiment).

I decided to do some research on behalf of my father in law to fill in some of the gaps and found out that he died in Burma. Quite specifically how and when he ended up in Burma is still a mystery but I discovered that he was attached to the Chindits and was taken by a sniper just a few weeks before the end of WW2.

His name is inscribed on the Taukkyan War Memorial near Rangoon in Burma.

I would dearly love to take my father in law there as he was very moved when I shared this news. I even have a photograph of his fathers name inscribed on one of the 112 pillars very kindly taken by someone who was visiting there.

Unfortunately he is now too infirm to make that journey but my wife and I have decided that one day we will go there to pay tribute to her grandfather.

rangoon.jpg

billy fish

Reaction score
My father was with the Chindits for a time.
I think this photo shows him in his uniform at that time.
His father was a medic in the first war and was never the same when he returned. He died , possibly suicide, leaving my dad at five years the eldest of four children.

IMG_2892.jpg

My avatar is a photo from this past May of the field leading to my fathers favourite stretch of the river .

Niccancatch

Reaction score
IMG_2045.jpg

This is the massive chocker, Ypres. Menim Gate. I was working down there and it breaks your heart to see thousands of names.
Love and massive respect!!!!!

D

Deleted member 1812

His father was a medic in the first war and was never the same when he returned. He died , possibly suicide, leaving my dad at five years the eldest of four children.

20171101_203836.jpg

My avatar is a photo from this past May of the field leading to my fathers favourite stretch of the river .

Great Picture! Hope you don't mind me spinning it.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21259

If ever a thread needed pinning to the top of a Forum board then surely it is this one? I have changed my own profile picture too. I will never forget. I will never let those around me forget

BrianW

Reaction score
Lost Voices of The Royal Air Force

Read this many years back. A young rear-gunner from a Lancaster or Halifax wrote it I believe as he lay knowing his time was nearly up having been shot down. Still brings a lump to my throat when I think what that generation went through for our benefit. As follows:

The pain has stopped,
For I am dead.
My time on earth is done.
But in a hundred years from now,
I'll still be twenty one.
My brief, sweet life is over,
My eyes no longer see,
No summer walks,
No Christmas trees,
No pretty girls for me.
I've got the chop,I've had it.
My nightly ops are done.
Yet in another hundred years,
I'll still be twenty one.

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
Forgotton

Never should any of us forgot the horrors of both wars,sadly all my famil fotos were stolen some yrs back in aburglery,my father was in the Royal Norfolks then The Green howards or vice versa,he done his time in India mostly,but my grandfather fought in WW1,i was too young to remember him properly,but my family tell me he hated loud noises and some times after a few bevvies he would sit there and shake a little...

My Avatar is of Monte Cassino Monestry where my g grand father was brought up by the monks untill he was of age,and a distant relative was some sort of partisan (is that the right word) he helped the polish when it was occupied by the Germans,he was them risking the lives of all the family and also topped one or two germans during the war,he walked in one day after a hunting trip (thats how meat was sourced back then) he found two german officers/troops one had his grandmother the other his mother ( leave the imagination well open) they was food all over and they had hammered the Vino,so he stood back put two in the chamber of his 12ee (shotgun) and shot the pair of em,chucked em over the donkey/mule took them down to the orchard and buried them ! the commanding offficer of the germans said if that person dont hand him self in (they some how found the graves) he will kill 20 young me between the ages of 21 and 30,so off he went to hand him sen in and the fighting started and the germans lost cassino..he lived to tell the tale emigrating to England then Detroit (usa) to work for Ford,after that he became rich then moved to long island.

all that fighting,the loss of life, all seems such a waste........

Last edited:

myriad

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Respect to Simon for the thread and to others who have contributed to it.

As a former serviceman it is something always close to my heart(and mind) not just at this time of year, but each day as the scars never heal from any war.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Been thinking about my own grandfather who signed up on his birthday age 16 in 1914 and found himself in the thick of it in 1916 ,must of been a great adventure but no doubt when the shells were falling all around and the enemy was engaged that feeling may well have changed and without wishing to go into too much detail as so many did not come back at all or came back very adversely changed people that suffered all their days but suffice to say he was affected , my own father never forgave him for dumping them all in a home when just a boy after his mum and my granny died of fever at a very young age but looking back at some new found photos recently there's a story written on my grandfathers face and no doubt the war played a part ,in no doubt the war shaped our nation in more ways than you can imagine , those that never returned should be remembered as without their effort the war would have been lost and all our futures would have taken a very diff turn , perhaps most of us would have never even existed ,those that made the ultimate sacrifice and those severely injured and all those adversely affected by this and all wars deserve a moments thought and prayer and perhaps we can try harder to live a life that leaves the world a more peaceful place , but not and never at the cost of freedoms or suffering from tyranny oppression and evil .

Seatrooter

Reaction score

View attachment 24631

My avatar is a photo from this past May of the field leading to my fathers favourite stretch of the river .[/QUOTE

Special Picture there :)

Seatrooter

Reaction score

Never should any of us forgot the horrors of both wars,sadly all my famil fotos were stolen some yrs back in aburglery,my father was in the Royal Norfolks then The Green howards or vice versa,he done his time in India mostly,but my grandfather fought in WW1,i was too young to remember him properly,but my family tell me he hated loud noises and some times after a few bevvies he would sit there and shake a little...

My Avatar is of Monte Cassino Monestry where my g grand father was brought up by the monks untill he was of age,and a distant relative was some sort of partisan (is that the right word) he helped the polish when it was occupied by the Germans,he was them risking the lives of all the family and also topped one or two germans during the war,he walked in one day after a hunting trip (thats how meat was sourced back then) he found two german officers/troops one had his grandmother the other his mother ( leave the imagination well open) they was food all over and they had hammered the Vino,so he stood back put two in the chamber of his 12ee (shotgun) and shot the pair of em,chucked em over the donkey/mule took them down to the orchard and buried them ! the commanding offficer of the germans said if that person dont hand him self in (they some how found the graves) he will kill 20 young me between the ages of 21 and 30,so off he went to hand him sen in and the fighting started and the germans lost cassino..he lived to tell the tale emigrating to England then Detroit (usa) to work for Ford,after that he became rich then moved to long island.

all that fighting,the loss of life, all seems such a waste........

Wow Taddy!!

myriad

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope no one minds ,but after a few requests and at this time of year until after the 11th I have pinned this post till the going down of the sun in rememberance of all those who have fallen in wars,some wars forgotton but never by those who lost friends and family in them.

I hope we can take this in the respect it is intended.