Waterproof, breathable wading jkt

N

newfly

I am looking to purchase a waterproof, breathable (gore-tex or equivalent) light weight wading jacket.
Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Welsh Dee

Banned
Reaction score
Budget end - the Stillwater Tay wading jacket from Glasgow Angling at £79. Lightweight shell, breathable and got Best in Test in a Trout and Salmon wading jacket review last year. I got one and no complaints.

N

newfly

THere's a lot of support for the Simms but out of my price range. Is Gore-tex the be all and end all of breathability or are there alternative equivalents.

Welsh Dee

Banned
Reaction score
Budget end - the Stillwater Tay wading jacket from Glasgow Angling at £79. Lightweight shell, breathable and got Best in Test in a Trout and Salmon wading jacket review last year. I got one and no complaints.
There it is newfly! Plenty from Snowbee, Scierra and Vision too at a lot less than Simms.

N

newfly

Is it possible to compare the breathability of the Tay jacket with a Gore-tex jacket. There must be a way of specifying how breathable a jacket is but never seen it advertised for comparison.

Fruin

Reaction score
I would ask the manufacturers for the waterproof and breathability rating of the jacket before buying. It is important to ask if they have a waterproof rating for the jacket and not just the material, as the seams can be far less than the material itself.
I donlt think that Goretex is the be all and end all; it just has the best reputation. I have a "Mountain Equipment" jacket that is now falling to bits after about 1 years of hard use. I've only used for fishing occasionally on family holidays where packing space was limited. Even now that it is falling apart the main areas are still waterproof and all buttons, zips and pull cords are still working as new. On top of this, there is not a single bit of tape on the seams that has seperated from the main material. I just wish that top of the range fishing gear was made to the same spec. Most of my fishing jackets have lasted around two before they leak or break in some other way. I've given up now which is why I am on about my 4th or 5th year with my leaky Barbour wading jacket.
I need to replace it soon and like yourself I cannot make my mind up what to go for. If only Mountain Equipment made wading jackets :p

Rennie

Reaction score
By way of a balance,I have loads of wading jackets from cheap to expensive.The cheap ones are fine but their shelf life is never the same as the more expensive jackets,for an occasional fisher they can be good value or indeed the budget concious angler they are a sensible choice.
However you do get what you pay for,if you are a regular or even serious fisher fishing in all conditions then they will let you down sooner rather than later.
My budget jackets that have all failed after no more than two years medium use are,Scierra Helmsdale,Musto FPX(not cheap but crap from the off), Stillwater Performance(very good effort though),a middle of the road Jacket in terms of price and performance is my Hardy Salar(good jacket,robust but crap cuffs),top price jackets are ,Patagonia SST(five years plus of heavy duty wear before it failed) and my current jacket the Simms G4-5 years and still going TOTALLY WATERPROOF,tough as old boots and brilliant design in terms of fit,pockets and longevity.
In all honesty you do get what you pay for,I would most seriously and honestly totaly ignore waxed cotton type of jackets,go for a reputable maker and modern materials.I would reccomend the Simms jackets-you dont have to buy the top of the range jackets there are cheaper models-if however you are stuck to a budget or dont wish to pay big prices then I can reccomend the Stillwater,but dont expect Simms performance or longevity.God luck and stay dry,Pedro.

N

newfly

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think i will wait until later in the year and save up for the Simms.

ps: who is lilely to sell them for the best price

Last edited:

Welsh Dee

Banned
Reaction score
Don't get too hung up on breathability. Even the most high tech garments will struggle in certain conditions and you will get steamed up. Waterproofing is what really counts.

Last edited:

salar35

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think i will wait until later in the year and save up for the Simms. ps: who is lilely to sell them for the best price
Don't ignore Sasta jackets........soft-shell breathable jackets which are incredibly light and as waterproof as any of the above. Just ask a ghillie (with apols to any who may have contributed here).

BLONDELAWMAN

Reaction score
I just happen to have a brand-spanking, XL G4 in a very fetching 'Gunmetal' hue I don't need.

PM me if you're interested.

beardog

Reaction score
Sasta

I have a very abused sasta goretex jacket that has 4 years under it's belt. Still 100% waterproof, but in need of a good wash. The next jacket is going to be a Patagonia, great quality. You get what you pay for.

fishing_spirit

Reaction score
I know alot of guy's have the simm's g4 jacket's
but me for one wouldn't buy another one ever again
ive had 2 and both leaked

For me not worth the money

I got a vision jacket and to be honest i cant remember the name
of it but it got the thub's up from trout and salmon

And ive been out in the worst condtion's fishing
and it's never leaked once good buy for me anyway

evilunclejoe

Banned
Reaction score
The thing about most of these "waterproof" jackets is that they have to be re-proofed from time to time.

The manufacturers never tell you this and most of us are have the misconception that they are as waterproof as waders and will keep the rain out until they fall to bits.

They're each both waterproof and breathable aren't they????

Not at all. Apples and oranges.

Most jackets have to be re-proofed after one year and thereafter every six months.

Amazing eh? It didn't say that on the tin!

Last edited:

Newly From The Sea

Reaction score
Back in the 80's i bought a wading jacket from the small ads in I think the T&S or maybe the shooting times?.
Nothing fancy, just a dark green shiny plastic type material with a hood, two large front pockets and a white cotton lining. It cost very little and it is still going strong, totaly waterprof, windproof but unfortunatly not breathable mind you It was only ever used in spring and autumn so it did not matter that much.

I seem to remember it might have been endorsed by Hugh Falkus or perhaps it was just similar to the version Hugh wears in his book sea trout fishing. I dont suppose anyone can remember these??

Lurig

Reaction score
Hi,
I use a SASTA Wading Jacket & think it is the most comfortable wading jacket that I have ever had & is very waterproof. I have had Simms Jackets but they have not felt as good to wear However the water dries off the Simms Jacket quickly unlike the Sasta which holds water on the Outer Shell for a while before dry.

silverblue

Reaction score
patagonia

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think i will wait until later in the year and save up for the Simms.

ps: who is lilely to sell them for the best price
sports fish selling patagonia sst jacket £199, just bought one cracking jacket also have the deep wading jacket.

Fly-Tom

Reaction score
problems with waterprooveness

Hi,

have just read this thread because I have problems with water coming through my Loop opti 3L jacket. Have used this now for a coupe of years and it is not water proof anymore it is actually quite poor in this respect and doesn't need much rain until water comes through.

I found "evilunclejoe's" post very interesting where he said that jackets are actually not really water proof like eg waders and that they have to be "reproofed" after a while. How woudl such a reproofing work?
I was already quite fed up with my jacked and actually did some impregnating with some stuff that is suitable for breathable materials however that improved only the water repelling and also only for a short while. The impregnation is also quite much work and I don't see the point to impregnate a functional "water proof" jacket every twi times I used in in the rain.
Especially during longer trips in heavy conditions (like north Norway) this can be really annoying when your fleece layers are getting wet and you don't have a possibility to dry them properly.

Does anyone have the same experience? What can be done about that because this can not be the solution in my opinion. Could there maybe be a problem with this specific jacket I have or do the producers not manage to come up with water proof jackets.......what are for example the guides out there doing if they use such clothing every day in heavy conditions?

Regards,
Tom

Iolar

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
I've had the same problem with my Loop opti 3L jacket which is about 3-4 years old. In particular, the arms do not repel the rain any more and quickly starts to stink after a good soaking. I tried to treat the jacket by washing it with Techwash, thoroughly drying and then spraying it twice with Nikwax with no real success. As fas as I know the jacket is not made from Gortex but some other "waterproof" membrane. The Loop jacket design is really good. I particularly like the fact that the retractors can be stowed away behind the zipped panels, really tidy.
Anybody tried the new Guideline Alta wading jacket?

http://www.guideline.no/ALTA+JACKET.d2Y-18UlNO38pBp7q5B8Nxh0xE2N13PYpwljQXR.ips?template=engWebshop

Last edited:

Fly-Tom

Reaction score
Hi,

due to this problem with my opti jacket I sent a claim to loop Norway. They told me to send the jacket. Unfortunately I did not have the original recipe anymore from the store in Norway where I bought it. Anyway the offered to replace the jacket with the latest Waimea jacket (against some fee because I had lost my invoice of the opti jacket) which should be a much better technology and quality than the earlier opti jackets.
Since I really didn't want to use the old jacket anymore due to this problem I agreed to that and received 4 days later the new Waimea jacket (that was last week).

Have tested it so far once and have to say it is a very nice Jacket, very functional even more than the opti jacket, very light and it seems to be very good quality. Of course it is now brand new but the guys from loop assured me that this Sympatex membrane is 100% water proof and does not have any pores such as gore tex that could be damaged. So far also the breathability seems very good.
I have to say it was a very good service from loop and I hope the jacket perform well for a long time.

On the new jacket it also says "produced in Europe" not china anymore like the opti.
I will go this week on a one week salmon fishing trip and it is supposed to rain a lot so I guess I will find out if it works.

Regards,
Tom

rockhopper

Reaction score
Why dont you look at breathable kayak jackets, , the touring style ones without the latex neck seals .
I had a yak pursuit jacket when i used to do alot kayaking , if it was more of a discerning colour it would of been ideal for deep wading , complete with latex cuff seals and totally waterproof , with a double waist seal .
Just a thought .