Waterproof backpacks

TayRaider

Reaction score
I am a big fan of travelling light, mostly carrying everything I need in my jacket or wader pockets.
For days where I’m a bit further from the car, or on the opposite bank on bigger rivers I have been taking my extra gear in a small satchel but it’s not easy to carry & stuff end up soaking if it rains.

So I am thinking of upgrading to a waterproof backpack, nothing too big though.
I’m looking at the Simms offerings, not sure if the dry creek zipper is worth £100 over the roll top offering. And then there is a scierra thing, which looks ok and is a steal at £70 - but I have had a few scierra thinks that we’re a bit naff and eventually ended up getting the guideline/Simms equiv later so pretty much a waste of cash in the long run.

Does anyone use one of these waterproof backpacks have any feedback on them?

Rennie

Reaction score
Before you splash any cash, check out Aldi, they had waterproof back packs in a few weeks back for very little money.Ok function over form, but I had a close look with a view to buying.
Pedro.

keirstream

Reaction score
Buy a dry bag and slip it into your existing backpack for a cheap fix, they work fine.
I tend to move light also using an Orvis sling / bum bag, however, wading was a big problem and invariably gear got soaked, dangerous with an expensive camera so I just bought a Fishpond Thunderhead lumbar pack from Scootavon on here. Fully submersible and waterproof according to the blurb, that should do the trick for me.(y)

TayRaider

Reaction score
Before you splash any cash, check out Aldi, they had waterproof back packs in a few weeks back for very little money.Ok function over form, but I had a close look with a view to buying.
Pedro.
I did see your post and checked out the middle isle earlier. Only power tools & duvets in my local the now.

kenb61

Reaction score
Dry bag for me as well and another place to try for a dry bag would be Home Bargains and they used to sell a couple of sizes beside their camping gear. You can also get them in the various outdoor shops but for slipping into a backpack for fishing the Home Bargains ones are sufficient (y)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I have had the Overboard pro-sports waterproof backpack for a few years now and it’s excellent. Its used mainly for when I’m bass fishing on beach or kayak and is very comfortable to wear and very waterproof. I’ve even used it when hiking up mountains. They have a few options if you don’t want to fork out that much but given its longevity it’s worth it.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Overboard are good
Aquapac too
both around 25 litres and 50 quid

squimp

Reaction score
I had an Overboard (£50ish) rucksack and it leaked thru the bottom. I ended up lining it with a rubble sack.

A couple of years ago I got one off Amazon for £29.99 and it works just fine. The brand is FE active. Highly recommended.

I cannot understand why people buy the angling ‘branded’ stuff at such super inflated prices.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Im the same as others, anything that dosent like getting wet goes in a dry bag inside my sling pack. My big rucksack has a waterproof cover but i use it more of a gear storing bag as i cant fish with it on.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

budge

Reaction score
I'm on the look out for a decent waterproof bag/sling myself. I'm a bit old school and still use a traditional bag. I tend to dump it on the bank as I fish a pool so I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Just not sure what size of pack to go for ? Big enough to hold all my bits and bobs, a spare reel, flask and butty. Was thinking about 20 litres ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
I'm on the look out for a decent waterproof bag/sling myself. I'm a bit old school and still use a traditional bag. I tend to dump it on the bank as I fish a pool so I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Just not sure what size of pack to go for ? Big enough to hold all my bits and bobs, a spare reel, flask and butty. Was thinking about 20 litres ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
I think Mines 20ltrs and about right. It only just fits a folded wading jacket in with my gear in summer though.
Edit... just looked mine up and it rekons its 5ltrs. Must be my big bag thats 20.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

billy fish

Reaction score
I’ve just bought a Vass waterproof rucksack for £60 . It looks bomb proof and is big enough to use as a day bag . Time will tell regarding performance.