Waterproof backpacks

TayRaider

Reaction score
I am a big fan of travelling light, mostly carrying everything I need in my jacket or wader pockets.
For days where I’m a bit further from the car, or on the opposite bank on bigger rivers I have been taking my extra gear in a small satchel but it’s not easy to carry & stuff end up soaking if it rains.

So I am thinking of upgrading to a waterproof backpack, nothing too big though.
I’m looking at the Simms offerings, not sure if the dry creek zipper is worth £100 over the roll top offering. And then there is a scierra thing, which looks ok and is a steal at £70 - but I have had a few scierra thinks that we’re a bit naff and eventually ended up getting the guideline/Simms equiv later so pretty much a waste of cash in the long run.

Does anyone use one of these waterproof backpacks have any feedback on them?

Rennie

Reaction score
Before you splash any cash, check out Aldi, they had waterproof back packs in a few weeks back for very little money.Ok function over form, but I had a close look with a view to buying.
Pedro.

keirstream

Reaction score
Buy a dry bag and slip it into your existing backpack for a cheap fix, they work fine.
I tend to move light also using an Orvis sling / bum bag, however, wading was a big problem and invariably gear got soaked, dangerous with an expensive camera so I just bought a Fishpond Thunderhead lumbar pack from Scootavon on here. Fully submersible and waterproof according to the blurb, that should do the trick for me.(y)

TayRaider

Reaction score
Before you splash any cash, check out Aldi, they had waterproof back packs in a few weeks back for very little money.Ok function over form, but I had a close look with a view to buying.
Pedro.
I did see your post and checked out the middle isle earlier. Only power tools & duvets in my local the now.

kenb61

Reaction score
Dry bag for me as well and another place to try for a dry bag would be Home Bargains and they used to sell a couple of sizes beside their camping gear. You can also get them in the various outdoor shops but for slipping into a backpack for fishing the Home Bargains ones are sufficient (y)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I have had the Overboard pro-sports waterproof backpack for a few years now and it’s excellent. Its used mainly for when I’m bass fishing on beach or kayak and is very comfortable to wear and very waterproof. I’ve even used it when hiking up mountains. They have a few options if you don’t want to fork out that much but given its longevity it’s worth it.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Overboard are good
Aquapac too
both around 25 litres and 50 quid

squimp

Reaction score
I had an Overboard (£50ish) rucksack and it leaked thru the bottom. I ended up lining it with a rubble sack.

A couple of years ago I got one off Amazon for £29.99 and it works just fine. The brand is FE active. Highly recommended.

I cannot understand why people buy the angling ‘branded’ stuff at such super inflated prices.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Im the same as others, anything that dosent like getting wet goes in a dry bag inside my sling pack. My big rucksack has a waterproof cover but i use it more of a gear storing bag as i cant fish with it on.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

budge

Reaction score
I'm on the look out for a decent waterproof bag/sling myself. I'm a bit old school and still use a traditional bag. I tend to dump it on the bank as I fish a pool so I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Just not sure what size of pack to go for ? Big enough to hold all my bits and bobs, a spare reel, flask and butty. Was thinking about 20 litres ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
I'm on the look out for a decent waterproof bag/sling myself. I'm a bit old school and still use a traditional bag. I tend to dump it on the bank as I fish a pool so I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Just not sure what size of pack to go for ? Big enough to hold all my bits and bobs, a spare reel, flask and butty. Was thinking about 20 litres ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
I think Mines 20ltrs and about right. It only just fits a folded wading jacket in with my gear in summer though.
Edit... just looked mine up and it rekons its 5ltrs. Must be my big bag thats 20.

billy fish

Reaction score
I’ve just bought a Vass waterproof rucksack for £60 . It looks bomb proof and is big enough to use as a day bag . Time will tell regarding performance.

EvanKerr

Reaction score
Having a hiking backpack is one of the best ways to protect your belongings when hiking. While you can buy a small backpack with lockable zippers that will fit in your car, it won't protect against severe weather or the elements. Hiking in the winter or the rain is no joke. Make sure that your backpack is made from an appropriately rated material so that it can withstand the elements, whether it be rain, sleet, or snow. With that said, let's move on to choosing. When selecting a backpack, it's essential to look at the material used, the features it has, and how well it holds up over time.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Been obsessively checking out waterproof packs for an age. I’ve concluded the cheaper ones like outboard aquapac etc are fine but thin and wear quickly
Simms and patagonia are very tough and will last - but they are not at all comfortable. The shoulder straps are a huge let down. I’d not want to wear one for a few hours let alone all day. The fishpond thunderhead is tough. Well spec’d for fishing and very comfy. And it’s 300 quid…., 300 HUNDRED BUCKS FOR A KIN BAG!!
In the end I decided two things
1. that the old Simms Drycreek pac which they stopped about two years ago was the best by far and I really wished I brought one and not dicked about
2. The best option is a traditional pac with waterproof bags inside. They are far cheapef, hard wearing, you can get very comfortable ones with plenty of points to mount kit. You can find ones that you can attach rod tubes on the sides, camelbacks etc etc. Using multiple bags inside you can keep things separate if you want to too.
so, I now use a Lowe Alpine vector 30 liter pack and it’s magnificent

Pati

Reaction score
The Thunderhead is the rolls Royce but vastly overpriced and seriously, most of us don’t need « submersible », unless you re in a kayak on deep Wade all the time to cross rivers… I have the Thunderhead lumbarpack which is absolutely brilliant. One thing you have to know is that the zip is mechanically hard to operate on the thunderhead range? But that s the price to pay for submersible… Those bags are bombproof too.
Otherwise Fishpond use to have waterproof (but not submersible) backpacks, I have one and it is absolutely great for most days fishing or if your only water concern is rain.They are fully proper waterproof even under epic rain, but if you constantly dip them in water (eg the bottom of the pack being in water for long periods while wading), they will end up absorbing water.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I got one of the simms ones on ebay fairly cheap. Not the waterproof one but they do come with a pull out rain cover like osprey and deuter bags.

Hoddom

Reaction score
I quit my job and the guys had a whip round in the usual way. I was presented with a £350 voucher for my fav tackle shop.
Decided it was an excuse to buy something I would otherwise not have brought and I now have a Fishpond thunderhead submersible backpack. It is the mutts dangling baubles. incredibly comfortable when loaded, tough and well designed.
Turns out though they are stopping selling them and a new version will come out next spring so there maybe some deals to be had.
did I need to spend 300 quid on a bag? No. But, in the circumstance I’m pleased I did.
I shall report on how it’s been in a few months after getting it wet and muddy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29