Waltham and Dritness 2016

Reaction score
A la Beauly.........and don't be frightened to do a bit of figure of eighting and hand lining to speed fly up. If nothing happening strip a sunray or collie dog :)

Exactly!
Strangely where we are the sunrays etc don't seem to work as well as everywhere else. The smaller the better seems to what works best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicharito

Reaction score
Exactly!
Strangely where we are the sunrays etc don't seem to work as well as everywhere else. The smaller the better seems to what works best.

I was talking about the Till mainly where it has been pretty low all season . I think if this rain that Salty Minnow is afraid of continues the Till may become fishable with the fly again.
I just need to get one on the fly again and get some confidence .

Hemmy

Reaction score
I was talking about the Till mainly where it has been pretty low all season . I think if this rain that Salty Minnow is afraid of continues the Till may become fishable with the fly again.
I just need to get one on the fly again and get some confidence .

Nick a few flies out of Salty's box and they will give you all the confidence you need :)

Chicharito

Reaction score
Off to Paxton this afternoon to watch the Tweed Foundation netting.
River level needs to be below 1ft 6ins though and levels above Paxton are rising as are tributaries of the Till so maybe scuppered by this afternoon.
Be interesting to see if there is much about if it takes place.

Last edited:

Chicharito

Reaction score
Off to Paxton this afternoon to watch the Tweed Foundation netting.
River level needs to be below 1ft 6ins though and levels above Paxton are rising as are tributaries of the Till so maybe scuppered by this afternoon.
Be interesting to see if there is much about if it takes place.

Arrived at 3pm and no sign of any netting !
Perhaps the boats are upside down !

Attachments

• 20160705_152035.jpg
    20160705_152035.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
Down the beat today for a couple of hours i had spare this morning.

The river level seemed to be up a few inches again. Looked good for the streams.

Started in the NW Stream and within a couple casts hooked into what turned out to be the only fish of my short session. A Sea Trout of around 2-2.5lb. Here are some pictures of it's release.

IMG_0042 - Edited.jpg

IMG_0044 - Edited.jpg

IMG_0049 - Edited.jpg

I had a brief encounter with a bigger fish at the top croy having switched to the 5ips versi leader. The fish was off as quick as it was on. disappointing to miss that one but will hopefully make up for it tomorrow night.

All the action came to the same cascade that I used on Saturday. I will be spending this evening tying up a load of these for Myself and David.

Chicharito

Reaction score
That picture is a real head scratcher Paul!
I bet keyhole would have turned up to net if he was knocking them on the head.

Yes my phone is doing my head in when it comes to upside down photos!
That sea trout yesterday was upside down as well.
I think the boat photo actually looks better upside down!
Don't know what happened to the netting today though.
Well done to Salty Minnow on the ST !

Loxie

Reaction score
Down the beat today for a couple of hours i had spare this morning.

The river level seemed to be up a few inches again. Looked good for the streams.

Started in the NW Stream and within a couple casts hooked into what turned out to be the only fish of my short session. A Sea Trout of around 2-2.5lb. Here are some pictures of it's release.

View attachment 12805

View attachment 12804

View attachment 12803

I had a brief encounter with a bigger fish at the top croy having switched to the 5ips versi leader. The fish was off as quick as it was on. disappointing to miss that one but will hopefully make up for it tomorrow night.

All the action came to the same cascade that I used on Saturday. I will be spending this evening tying up a load of these for Myself and David.

If you have any rejects you are going to bin....

Do you guys night fish down there? Looks like you have a good few ST.

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
Fishing at night is something I have never tried down there. We usually get Sea Trouts no bother through the day especially when the water has colour to it as it does just now. I imagine we would get a better stamp of sea trout at night however...might be worth looking into doing.

Chicharito

Reaction score
If you have any rejects you are going to bin....

Do you guys night fish down there? Looks like you have a good few ST.

There do seem to be a few around at the moment . They will hopefully be running up the Till any time now and I will have another go with the fly or mepps.
As far as I know nobody really bothers about them on the Tweed ( Check out TweedBeats editorial for last Sunday).
Personally I am happy catching anything Sea Trout or Salmon .

News/Editorial from TweedBeats - supporting fishing on the tweed

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
A friend of mine has caught some very mighty sea trout in the Lower Tweed at night on, of all things, a big loxie! I think 16lb was his best.

Hemmy

Reaction score
A friend of mine has caught some very mighty sea trout in the Lower Tweed at night on, of all things, a big loxie! I think 16lb was his best.

Apart from yourself ....whaat is a big Loxie ?

Loxie

Reaction score
Id hide that one from Kenny Graham. Only one hook allowed on the Tweed!!
Most of us see sea trout as a pest or sideshow at best. A 16lber however I'd be quite happy to land. (To say the least)

I didnt know theone hook rule, thanks for that.

Loxie

Reaction score
Thanks.
I've got some of them big black Waddies somewhere that I tied years ago....must look them out :)

The Loxie is meant to be lightweight and sparse, sadly unlike me! Its traditionally tied on a 2/0 aberdeen with a flying treble then the single hook snipped off. That gives a slim light fly with life. The newer version is my modification of using a B175 instead of the aberdeen, thus hooking fish which take the head of the fly. But not, apparantly on Tweed!

Loxie

Reaction score
image.jpg
The Loxie is meant to be lightweight and sparse, sadly unlike me! Its traditionally tied on a 2/0 aberdeen with a flying treble then the single hook snipped off. That gives a slim light fly with life. The newer version is my modification of using a B175 instead of the aberdeen, thus hooking fish which take the head of the fly. But not, apparantly on Tweed!

Reaction score
Saw this article on TweedNews . I was lucky enough to witness it being caught unfortunately not to my rod .
Interesting spelling of Dritness that made me smile !

2016 Tagged Fish Recaptures

Your not having much luck yet this year Paul.
There were a lot of grilse in the squire last Saturday. I managed one and my dad got one from the bottom. Unfortunately we were only there for a couple of hours and the water came up on Monday!

The tagged grilse didn't make it far until it was caught!

Chicharito

Reaction score
That grilse didn't get very far in a week !
I am contributing to the conservation effort this year !
In fact I have gone one better than catch and release . It's called hook and
release ! And even that's not going too well at the moment.

Hemmy

Reaction score
Saw this article on TweedNews . I was lucky enough to witness it being caught unfortunately not to my rod .
Interesting spelling of Dritness that made me smile !

2016 Tagged Fish Recaptures

I thought that on the Lower Tweed it was the anglers who wore the tags (electronic ones).........not the fish !!!!! :rolleyes::D:D:)
Only joking chaps :)

Last edited: