Waltham and Dritness 2016

Reaction score
This thread is a continuation of our old one which was pulled under the last administration due to others posting advertising under the guise of a similar thread.

It is intended to be a combination of river reports and info for our non local syndicate members as well as anybody else who is interested.

Hopefully it will include a few fish pics for you guys to criticise.

Reaction score
Sat 2nd July

Prospects were looking good. Nice dull day, bit of a breeze and a nice fish caught yesterday by Salty Minnow. Tweedhill (the opposition) had 4 in the book so there was obviously a few fish knocking about.

Tide was due to hit around lunchtime so only a couple of hrs fishing to be had. Salty kicked things off quickly by hooking what we both thought was a wee seatrout in some very thin water. Fish quickly landed and turned out to be our first grilse of the season. Not very big at about 2.5lb but a welcome sight all the same.

Further down the same run he hooked into another fish. This one putting a better bend in his rod so I wound in and helped him land number 2 for the day (3rd in 24hrs). A decent hen fish with some "net marks" on its flanks. Quick photo taken and released for the upriver rods to catch and kill in a couple of months.

We had another run down the same water which took us until the tide started touching and bar a good pull which led to nothing for me, was uneventful.

There is a bit of a smell in the air down at the bottom croy with a dead seal carcass washed up, but let's hope that won't put the syndicate rods off as there are fish about and hopefully we will see a better grilse run this year with the lack of costal netting.

It was the minnows day today (and yesterday) on water where a season costs less than most day lets on the Tweed so congratulations to him. Let's hope for some more action to report next week and maybe a picture of my own to post.

Tight lines.

Loxie

Reaction score
Good god man a fishing thread! Dont you know this is now a politics forum..

Chicharito

Reaction score
Nice to see the thread back again !
Well done on the fish ! I guess the slight rise of water may have helped.
I hope to break my duck down there sometime soon .
I will be down there this week

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Agree with chicharito and well done with the fish :cool: good to have the thread back and read something about fishing for a change, look forward to the next report :cool:

Last edited:

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
Was using a full floating Spey line with a 10ft inty versi leader with a tippet of around 8ft seagur 13lb. With a size 10 cascade same one I posted in the ally's flies weekly musing.

Each fish came to the beauly belly technique with a slight twist of my own. Lost a much better fish late last month to this method n all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marty31

Reaction score
well done salty, but what's pictures of salmon doing on a brexit forum? don't catch two many more until I get back from my holiday spent up early due to the crap £ to euro exchange rate, leave at least one biggie for me :cool:

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
If it stops raining i'd be away down for a cast this evening on the dropping tide. It's torrential just now and doesn't look like stopping. Might have to be an early morning attempt to make up for not getting today.

Reaction score
If it stops raining i'd be away down for a cast this evening on the dropping tide. It's torrential just now and doesn't look like stopping. Might have to be an early morning attempt to make up for not getting today.

Get yourself down for a cast Salty, before the waters rising. Your skin is waterproof.
You want a purple fly in the rain so I'm told.

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
It's just localised on the coast gadge. The river will be in fine fetal for the morn. If it stops raining i'll go tonight regardless. When you up for a cast next like? Wednesday evening?

Chicharito

Reaction score

You wimp !
Been down there myself this afternoon / evening. Got down a bit early and tide was still well in. Bottom croy still well under water.
Decided to have a go with flying c off the bank.
Second cast got this nice Sea Trout of about 3lb or so. (Sorry about poor photo)

Attachments

• 20160704_164734.jpg
    20160704_164734.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Reaction score
Aye it was a good solid fish and swam away like a rocket !
I just wish I could tempt one on the fly !
I have been getting a few on the Till on spinner, usually after first fishing down with a fly first !

Unusual as Its always the other way round for me.
What flys and strength leader are you using?

Chicharito

Reaction score
Unusual as Its always the other way round for me.
What flys and strength leader are you using?

Tried pretty much everything from gold head nymphs to allys and small tube flies on intermediate or slow sink poly leader and 12ft 7lb fluorocarbon.
As soon as I try a no. 2 Mepps I start to get follows and the occasional take.
Maybe once we get better levels the fly may fish better.

Hemmy

Reaction score
Tried pretty much everything from gold head nymphs to allys and small tube flies on intermediate or slow sink poly leader and 12ft 7lb fluorocarbon.

Personally I would not fish a Tippett anywhere near 12 foot in length with a poly leader ......nor would I go so light as 7 lb fluorocarbon.....but that's my view and I certainly would not criticise your set up .:)
My go to fly would be a small cascade double , crimp or small conehead (plastic tube) depending on conditions.

Reaction score

Was wondering if you were using too heavy a leader like some of the syndicate who had 18lb on with small flies lol. Obviously not.
Only other thing I can think of.. We get a lot more success casting almost square with no mend in the line. It brings the fly round with a better speed in the slower flows.
You might just be unlucky so far though.

Hemmy

Reaction score
Was wondering if you were using too heavy a leader like some of the syndicate who had 18lb on with small flies lol. Obviously not.
Only other thing I can think of.. We get a lot more success casting almost square with no mend in the line. It brings the fly round with a better speed in the slower flows.
You might just be unlucky so far though.

A la Beauly.........and don't be frightened to do a bit of figure of eighting and hand lining to speed fly up. If nothing happening strip a sunray or collie dog :)

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
I agree with Hemmy. 12ft of tippet is a bit much, 5 or 6 ft is suffice with a 10ft poly leader on your particular set up.

Levels just now and throughout this season in general have been very good for the fly. I think your ST maybe the first spinner caught fish of the season.

My advice would be to wade as shallow as possible and keep working on your casting you will get a hold of one eventually.