Walkerburn, innerleither, peebles, places for food and drinks

Rrrr

Reaction score
Just booked a weekend around walkerburn for a weekend for the wifes 40th in summer (she liked the pics of theplace on air bnb).
Has anyone got any reccomendations for good food or drinks in the local area ? A nice pub that caters to both would be perfect as fine dinings not really our sort of thing.
Also rekon itl be more than my lifes worth to take the rods so even though we are yards from the tweed there will be no fishing for me

Thanks in advance.
Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tenet

Reaction score
Stayed at the Traquire Arms a few years back when fishing Holylea - breakfast not that good but evening meals ok. Quite a busy pub with friendly staff and it was dog friendly.
Certainly a lovely part of the world.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Stayed at the Traquire Arms a few years back when fishing Holylea - breakfast not that good but evening meals ok. Quite a busy pub with friendly staff and it was dog friendly.
Certainly a lovely part of the world.
Cheers, i was looking at their website earlier and the menu looks like the sort of thing she likes.
Its not an area ive been to but have passed through when heading north, i just listed a few places available and she picked one there as she liked the look of it.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Don't worry about the rod's Rrrr just drop me a pm when your in the area and I'll bring you one and any other gear that's needed 👍🏻 🎣

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I can highly recommend the Tontine hotel, in Peebles High St. for a nice meal at reasonable prices. You can eat in the main dining room or the more relaxed bistro area.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Don't worry about the rod's Rrrr just drop me a pm when your in the area and I'll bring you one and any other gear that's needed
She would have my head on a spike if i dared to go fishing on her birthday weekend away

bassfly

Reaction score
If you like Indian food there is a very good restaurant called Saffron in Innerleithen.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

SP8

Reaction score
If you like Indian food there is a very good restaurant called Saffron in Innerleithen.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
I was just about to post the same. One of the nicest Indian meals I've had, eaten there a few times. You are advised to book as it's only small. The Corner House also in Innnerleithen has an interesting fusion menu. It does B&B but maybe a bit basic to what you want although certainly good enough for a group of fisherman. Last time I ate at the Traquair I was underwhelmed and both the aforementioned places are far better imo

SP8

Dunbar

Reaction score
I was just about to post the same. One of the nicest Indian meals I've had, eaten there a few times. You are advised to book as it's only small. The Corner House also in Innnerleithen has an interesting fusion menu. It does B&B but maybe a bit basic to what you want although certainly good enough for a group of fisherman. Last time I ate at the Traquair I was underwhelmed and both the aforementioned places are far better imo

SP8
Yes, the Corner House is good (though haven’t been for a long time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
She would have my head on a spike if i dared to go fishing on her birthday weekend away

A friend of mine took his wife away to Madeira for her birthday. He managed a 250lb blue marlin.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
A friend of mine took his wife away to Madeira for her birthday. He managed a 250lb blue marlin.
I heard that he lost his divorce soon after coming back, as the judge could not inderstand how he could prefer 250Ib of fish meat to a very attractive lady! Sad story!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score

You only think that :whistle: why not whilst your away wae the wee woman drop the hints that you fancy a wee weekend in the area for fishing 🎣

Rennie

Reaction score
Well, you mentioned Summer for your stay there Rrrr, well basically you're safe then.The Upper Tweed-as it is in that area- really dosen't get all that many fish until Sept. in all honesty(that's if it gets any ever again at the back end!).It needs water for early fish to show in any numbers.Yes there will be a few up there, and it might be worth a shot-if conditions are right- but the Trout rod might be a better consideration if you want to fish.
The Traquair used to be the place many years ago(we stayed there for some years in November!), but various change of ownership has seen a change in standards and its not what it was.
Avoid the George at Walkerburn at all costs- you'd be safer fishing every single moment of your time away with the Mrs. than take her to the George!
If you want a nice classy town Hotel, try Burts in Melrose, thats almost on the junction between Upper/Middle Tweed.Food is great, there's a nice pot of Ale and a bit of bustle about the place in general, Melrose is a nice place too!.
Have it large dude, Pedro.

Walleye

Reaction score

Don't dismiss the idea so hastily. There are many worse ways to go.

Besides, have you ever been on a foreign beach holiday and been dragged around the local tat shops for hours on end looking for a bargain or gifts for people or even worse, a bikini? Well, that is the female version of hunter/gatherer behaviour so in my very humble opinion there is ample precedent for any man to take his fishing gear on any holiday they want to.

Let me know how you get on. I want to see how it works out before I plan my missus' birthday surprise in September;-)

Rrrr

Reaction score
Don't dismiss the idea so hastily. There are many worse ways to go.

Besides, have you ever been on a foreign beach holiday and been dragged around the local tat shops for hours on end looking for a bargain or gifts for people or even worse, a bikini? Well, that is the female version of hunter/gatherer behaviour so in my very humble opinion there is ample precedent for any man to take his fishing gear on any holiday they want to.

Let me know how you get on. I want to see how it works out before I plan my missus' birthday surprise in September;-)
Aye the tat shops are an absoloute nightmare. You try getting a look in a foreign fishing shop though

Rrrr

Reaction score
Well, you mentioned Summer for your stay there Rrrr, well basically you're safe then.The Upper Tweed-as it is in that area- really dosen't get all that many fish until Sept. in all honesty(that's if it gets any ever again at the back end!).It needs water for early fish to show in any numbers.Yes there will be a few up there, and it might be worth a shot-if conditions are right- but the Trout rod might be a better consideration if you want to fish.
The Traquair used to be the place many years ago(we stayed there for some years in November!), but various change of ownership has seen a change in standards and its not what it was.
Avoid the George at Walkerburn at all costs- you'd be safer fishing every single moment of your time away with the Mrs. than take her to the George!
If you want a nice classy town Hotel, try Burts in Melrose, thats almost on the junction between Upper/Middle Tweed.Food is great, there's a nice pot of Ale and a bit of bustle about the place in general, Melrose is a nice place too!.
Have it large dude, Pedro.
Cheers, allready got a house thingy booked with a hot tub in the garden (the idea of a bath outside dosent appeal to me but its her choice).
Booked my dad and his mate into burts with a days fishing roughly 10 years ago and there was the biggest flood for 50 odd years that weekend so no fishing. They spent the weekend in the bar getting swallied with the ghillie

Rrrr

Reaction score
You only think that :whistle: why not whilst your away wae the wee woman drop the hints that you fancy a wee weekend in the area for fishing
Dont worry, once its not her 40th then fishing on a weekend away us fair game, ill be taking notes and scoping out places for future reference. The place weve booked is opposite the bridge in walkerburn and 20 yards max from the river so ill be playing eye spy from the windows

duncan

Reaction score
A lot of good pubs and restaurants in Melrose, plus nice walk along the riverside. The Eddelstone Inn in Eddelstone is really good as is the Caddy Mann just outside Jedburgh. All within 30 minutes drive.