Walker 17'6" lines?

bluejay

Reaction score
Wondering what all lines are being used on this rod. The Nextcast 9/10 and BOSS 9/10 are commonly used in the US. Anyone have other recommendations?
Thanks.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Be interested to hear what suits , the bigger rod and if the rod rating is true.

I know my other B&W rods can generally handle heavier lines well, but having recently acquired a Walker series 14'6" 9/10 be interested to know as I've not handled the rod yet.

Rennie

Reaction score
The question is "which " model of 17ft 6 ins Walker. The "original" 17ft 6 ins Walker was a 9/11, that was from a different time and was designed with DT lines firmly to the fore.It would lift and cast quite a long length of line, 11 and 12 DT lines depending on the caster themselves abilities.
A strong rod, however more "feel" and sophistication the the 17ft Expert rod of the same era.
The newer model of Walker rods I would presume will be slightly different as they're 9/10 rated, likely to be lighter and maybe easier in action to the old model.Afraid I don't know much about the new rods at all.
Oldkipper is right, it's a workout , one of these rods all day.The owner will need to get used to a different way of fishing, lifting much more line and a better technique all round.
Off to the gym 1st bluejay!.
Enjoy, Pedro.

bluejay

Reaction score
Great replies here fellows!
Am learning that most users of this rod go with a long belly head from 750 to 825 grains.

neilt

Reaction score
I’ve got some Cortland lines spare that would work well off this rod.
Either full line or cut into shooting heads for overhead casting - they will cast a long way!
DT12 sink3, WF13 sink4 and WF12 sink6.
I use these on the Lower Tay.
Let me know if any interest.

onelastcast

Reaction score
the old 16ft 6in with the seperate handle was the longest rod I used with a cortland spey?dt Ithink they called it in a dt 10 and it fished ok it did make distance casting with a dt easier ,Iwould look for an old scientific anglers xlt if anyone has one has one sure it would cast that no problem onelastcast

bluejay

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all the tips. I have been using the BOSS Long line developed by Gene Oswalt --the North American B&W rep--and his partners. This line is working quite well for me. Have also used the Nextcast 16+ line. The old XLT is a a good idea as well. Would like to play with a double taper at some point.
Cheers!

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I emailed Gene Oswald on the height-weight of the lines.
He reminded me that they are 'heads' (not integrated lines), and that the #9/10 Long has a head-weight of approximately 790 grains (51.2 grams) over c. 68' and the #8/9 Long some 740 grains (c. 48 grams) over 65'.
He answered my inquiry within the hour - almost as quick as James Chalmers!
www.bossflylines.com
H

morphfly

Reaction score
Wondering what all lines are being used on this rod. The Nextcast 9/10 and BOSS 9/10 are commonly used in the US. Anyone have other recommendations?
Thanks.
Don't worry a lie down in a darkened room is all you need either that or a truss
Morphfly