Waist Packs

Rennie

Reaction score
In the search for perfection for the carrying of gear for a day on the water including food n drink.
Has any one any feed back on the practicalities of waist bags!,Can you get enough stuff in- not a full kitchen sink though!, are they comfy, do they have an adverse effect on the life of expensive waders!, are they at all a viable solution!, or better with a Simms waistcoat?
Pedro.

mc andy

Reaction score
Used a waist bag for years! And loved them, my only gripe was when deeper wading they got wet and acted like a float. And no I've had no issues with wader wear.

I've now moved on to a shoulder bag(fishponds) and wouldn't say its just as comfy but does the job. One of the benefits of are bummy is it acts as back support as well. If I was doing it now get the rubbery waterproof ones simms or patagonia.

Cheers andy

pfeul

Reaction score
I've been using a sage dxl typhoon for years and it is a great waist pack.
It has 2 main compartments : one which is really waterproof but with a hard-to-open t-zip zipper and a larger rainproof-submersible one with a much easier opening zipper.

This is the best of both worlds.

Value items go into the smaller waterproof compartment while other stuffs like fly boxes go into the bigger rainproof one.
So nothing gets wet when deep wading or under heavy rain and if you get a bath only the fishing items might get wet.

One can load a DSLR plus a spare spool plus one or two big boxes + polyleader wallet+ a small packed lunch.
There 's also outer pocket for tippet spool storage and a bottle mesh holder
No issue with any kind of wader wear.

Unfortunately I'm not sure sage produces it anymore.

A waist pack is a real asset as it helps as lumbar support while balancing the weigh evenly.

If you consider a waterproof waistpack, my advice would be to avoid a pack having only a single big really waterproof compartment. The zippers of waterproof compartments, such as ensure waterproofness, are usually hard to open even when lubricated and believe me, it is really annoying when deep wading in a strong flow with a double hand in the hand to struggle to open the compartment .
In addition you must pay attention that the compartment is well closed and tight and this requires to draw the zipper up to the stopper which needs additional strength.

All you want when fishing is an easy to open zipper when seeking for a fishing item.

Another aspect to consider are the belt straps. Make sure that there are some retainers for preventing belt straps to hang otherwise they will snag the running line passing through.

IMHO the only real drawback of a waistpack whether it is waterproof or not is that you can't wait very deep but this is more a trout fishing issue. Not occurs often when salmon fishing.

Among all the packs available at the moment, the only one that ticks all the boxes as far as storage capacity, separate storages for value items (phone, keys, camera) and for fishing items is IMHO the umpqua tongass 650. but I've not handle it. If I was on the market for a waist pack this is the one I would consider.

Hope it helps

Rrrr

Reaction score
My concern about a waist pack would be that it sits much lower so limits your ability to wade deeper spots unless totaly watertight.
Have you tried a sling pack ? You can fish with them on and they swing around to your front when you need to get to your gear.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Pati

Reaction score
Fishpond Thunderhead lumbar pack is pretty awesome. Enough space for everything, including sandwiches and waterproof (so much so that it is actually submersible).
Only issue is it costs a fortune!

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I'm another convert to chest sling packs, like mcandy, I used to have a waist pack but any deeper wading it hindered rather than helped

The chest slings never appealed to me as i thought they looked a bit keich...however, I now have three....

Snowbee chest sling
- got it off Norris during a sale for approx £40 - my oldest son and I share this for estuary fishing and for when he's spinning, a few mods for carrying a net and its a fantastic item, love the fact they swing round and can be opened to rummage and then swung back out the way. Reasonably good addition of outer pockets and a confortable enough sling strap

Lowepro Slingshot AW100
- £16 off ebay - this is another gem, cheap as chips, similar to the snowbee, slightly less capacity, but will take 3-4 C&F design boxes, tippet and spare spools with other pocket space should you feel the need to pack it fully. Again, a small mod to hangoff a net and its great, plus, being the AW (All Weather) model,it has a cover that pops out from the bottom and covers the front of the pack to keep it weatherproof. As with many things, its not fishing orientated but its very well build, better than the snowbee

Simms Freestone Tactical Ambi
- bit of a mouthful that one lol, I use this when on the river mostly, it gets filled from my main bag that sits in the car, plenty room for fly boxes, spare heads ,spools, poly wallets etc and bits and bobs. Its slightly less capacity at 15L than its big brother (18L) but has a host of features (most I'll never use ...) Very good build quality and of course ambidextrous. This is at the pricier side of things (think it was around £95) but it was a gift so I was made up with it. I find it focuses me to carry less unnecessary items but have everything to hand.

So, as you guessed, I'm now a total convert to chest slings, they've helped me consolidate my carry around tackle, cut down on weight and ditched the waistcoat too. Everything at hand and out the way, no bulky pockets on your front getting in the way of things

Plenty youtube reviews of the above too but well worth having a shuftie to see if they'd suit your needs

One thing, these aren't fully waterproof like some of the really high end orvis/fishpond/patagonia and simms offerings, but all mind get a coat or two of Fabsil gold to keep the worst out, and the Lowepro has the outer cover providing another form of protection, not submersible proof though.

Hope that helps.
CB

kimbo

Reaction score
I had a waist bag, great bit of kit, unfortunately when I put some weight on my stomach got bigger and the bag sat under my stomach, when I walked any distance if kept slipping down.
Now I use a small rucksack and I've never looked back, a cheap one will do as long as it's big enough for your gear, I wear mine all the time even when fishing.

mc andy

Reaction score
Thought I'd show you what you can typically carry in a sling bag.

I know I carry to many flies! ?

If I'm out all day I'll generally leave a few boxes out the I have room for a couple of rolls and a biscuit.

Cheers andy

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_114204.jpg
    IMG_20200807_114204.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20200807_114456.jpg
    IMG_20200807_114456.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 93

Rennie

Reaction score
Still ummming and ahhhhing over it all Mc Andy, one minute I tell myself yeah buy one!, next minute I look at the brass sat there and think "I know each and every £5 like a good friend, why should I?"
Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Still ummming and ahhhhing over it all Mc Andy, one minute I tell myself yeah buy one!, next minute I look at the brass sat there and think "I know each and every £5 like a good friend, why should I?"
Pedro.
Keep an eye on ebay, the simms ones that are almost identical to the ones in andys pics come up quite a bit and go for around the 30 quid mark. Not as big of a hit then and if you like it and want to upgrade you will get your 30 quid back selling it on.
That was the plan with mine but didnt see the point in upgrading it as it does everything i need and was in almost new condition when i got it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

bankwheel

Reaction score
I am selling a minted Umpqua waist bag, one of the best. It’s in classified for £100 but I would take £75

ibm59

Reaction score
I'm another convert to chest sling packs, like mcandy, I used to have a waist pack but any deeper wading it hindered rather than helped

The chest slings never appealed to me as i thought they looked a bit keich...however, I now have three....

Snowbee chest sling
- got it off Norris during a sale for approx £40 - my oldest son and I share this for estuary fishing and for when he's spinning, a few mods for carrying a net and its a fantastic item, love the fact they swing round and can be opened to rummage and then swung back out the way. Reasonably good addition of outer pockets and a confortable enough sling strap

Lowepro Slingshot AW100
- £16 off ebay - this is another gem, cheap as chips, similar to the snowbee, slightly less capacity, but will take 3-4 C&F design boxes, tippet and spare spools with other pocket space should you feel the need to pack it fully. Again, a small mod to hangoff a net and its great, plus, being the AW (All Weather) model,it has a cover that pops out from the bottom and covers the front of the pack to keep it weatherproof. As with many things, its not fishing orientated but its very well build, better than the snowbee

Simms Freestone Tactical Ambi
- bit of a mouthful that one lol, I use this when on the river mostly, it gets filled from my main bag that sits in the car, plenty room for fly boxes, spare heads ,spools, poly wallets etc and bits and bobs. Its slightly less capacity at 15L than its big brother (18L) but has a host of features (most I'll never use ...) Very good build quality and of course ambidextrous. This is at the pricier side of things (think it was around £95) but it was a gift so I was made up with it. I find it focuses me to carry less unnecessary items but have everything to hand.

So, as you guessed, I'm now a total convert to chest slings, they've helped me consolidate my carry around tackle, cut down on weight and ditched the waistcoat too. Everything at hand and out the way, no bulky pockets on your front getting in the way of things

Plenty youtube reviews of the above too but well worth having a shuftie to see if they'd suit your needs

One thing, these aren't fully waterproof like some of the really high end orvis/fishpond/patagonia and simms offerings, but all mind get a coat or two of Fabsil gold to keep the worst out, and the Lowepro has the outer cover providing another form of protection, not submersible proof though.

Hope that helps.
CB
Shoulder bags with another tackle tangling strap and buckle which prevents you swinging the bag to the front to get inside.
‘Marketing Magic in Motion.??

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
G
Shoulder bags with another tackle tangling strap and buckle which prevents you swinging the bag to the front to get inside.
‘Marketing Magic in Motion.??

Give it a try.... and I'll buy your Gelderburn to add to my Brady collection once you realise what you've been missing all these years? ?

ibm59

Reaction score
G

Give it a try.... and I'll buy your Gelderburn to add to my Brady collection once you realise what you've been missing all these years? ?
Sold it years ago , J.
‘I’m a 2 x Severn man nowadays?

The Tactical Ambi arrived on Monday ???