Wading jackets

morphfly

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new jacket which non Simms wading jackets are worth a look, not silly money but must be waterproof
Morphfly

Irish Monkey

Reaction score
Sasta Goretex . If they are still going , my mate has had one for 13 years and wears it almost every day in the season

Mattytree

Reaction score
Greys and visions don’t break the bank.. I do like the lay out of the new greys and it seems to be holding out on letting rain in after 10months.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
You may find it useful to look at the 4 chapters of the Great Jacket Hunt describing my journey to find a new jacket that met my requirements:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

In supplement to that information:
1. The Patagonia ST that I now own is proving satisfactory but it hasn't had much wear or been stress tested by really bad weather.
2. A friend who bought a Guideline Experience at the same time has been badly disappointed and sent it back for warranty replacement on the grounds of gross leaks through the sleeve seams.

SnapT14

Reaction score
Stillwater Tay is a super jacket!

Doesn’t matter what you spend, they end up like tea bags after a year or two!

I’ve got loop lainio, great jacket but st the price I paid it’s no better or worse than any other!

I’ve had Simms, loop, airflo.......you name it!

Stillwater always used to win best in test and is only £70 odd quid!

Mepps4me

Reaction score
I read MCX's blog and opted for the Snowbee Prestige jacket some 18 months ago. I find it an excellent jacket and am glad that I chose it.

gob

Reaction score
Greys strata

Bought one two years ago, looks good and folds up neatly in my fishing vest. Took it to the Irish Ploughing match last September and got soaked in the heavy rain that fell that day. Ive got a vision from a few years back and in heavy rain it leakes badly too. I would really like to know what kind of material makes up the outer shell of a lot of jackets on the market today. I recently purchased a kinnetic wading but have not worn it yet. I tried contacting the manufacturers as to what treatment would be appropriate for waterproofing but they seem to be not contactable. Would appreciate any opinion on same and how it performs in heavy rain
gob

wetwader

Reaction score
You may find it useful to look at the 4 chapters of the Great Jacket Hunt describing my journey to find a new jacket that met my requirements:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

In supplement to that information:
1. The Patagonia ST that I now own is proving satisfactory but it hasn't had much wear or been stress tested by really bad weather.
2. A friend who bought a Guideline Experience at the same time has been badly disappointed and sent it back for warranty replacement on the grounds of gross leaks through the sleeve seams.
Great story of an Odyssey for a new wading jacket ! Worth to read it.
Some may know the answer to the mystery in chapter 3, why the guy wanted his G4 back again and gave the SST instead😁... I had both and still use the G4, after some others, also two Vision jackets between. But as already said by you. It depends...
I am out a lot and use the expensive breathable jackets only in the worsest of weather conditions, in combination with the cheapest non breathable jackets.
I would take a look at the Snowbee next time. Sounds good for a reasonable price.
Thank you for sharing your story. And I like your site!

Dryfly

Reaction score
Don't worry about the brand. Check the fabric. That is what matters and its not made by the brands (although they may give them a fancy name).

Check the waterproofness and breathability. Data is one-line.

Expensive jackets? More about fashion and 'looking good' - many cheaper jackets are superb or better and cost 300 - 400 quid less.

My top three

Vision vector - 6 seasons and still perfect - £100

Wychwold Outstanding fabric - in the top two available (15,000 breathability, 20,000 waterproofness) - an eye watering (not) £70.

Snowbee - tiny downside of a liner making it slower drying after a swim - but very tough and reliable (£120 ish).

Pockets create places for leaks. Do you need eleventeen? Might a couple be sufficient (for a fly box, bit of nylon not much else).

Final thought - insects (midges, mozzies etc) like dark colours and not light ones. The Wychwold jacket scores superbly on that front. I stood next to a guy in a black simms jacket in Russia. One of us was covered and swatting them away. Wasn't me.

ibm59

Reaction score
I have 3😳

G3 for winter and / or overgrown thorny bankings
SST for more genteel beats
and a packable Patagonia Torrentshell which fits in a waistcoat pocket “ just in case “

Last edited:

Isisalar

Reaction score
I got a Daiwa Game wading jacket, reasonable, £120 ish, hasn't leaked at all, very good quality, good amount of pockets, some with waterproof zips. Well pleased with it.

Rennie

Reaction score
Got two still water jackets' Performance and the Tay,both sadly are as good as a used T bag at keeping water out.
Sorry but Simm's is the way to go.My first G3 is over 7 years old and only leaks where I've put holes in it!.
I've owned Patagonia-Excellent but getting on for Simms money!,Scierra,Musto,Hardy and the Stillwater's and they all leak alarmingly.
My first G3 refuses to die! and I have a second newer one waiting ready for when it does.
Try Norriss's on the way up, you won't pay full price!
P.

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Simms for me too. My G3 got pretty much destroyed when I got hit by a car while walking my dog while wearing it last winter. I have replaced it with a G4 which is the lightest waterproof jacket I have ever picked up. On my last trip to the Tay during some fairly substantial storms it kept me bone dry

Bluesnappa

Reaction score
Is it not better to stand under a bridge when it’s raining after all that’s where the fish go to keep dry.

cgaines10

Reaction score
I know it's not a wading jacket but I use a Berghaus jacket. Which covers everything I need it too.

It's lightweight but strong for going through bushes etc, fits well and keeps me bone dry.

Just another option to consider.

Tangled

Reaction score
I know it's not a wading jacket but I use a Berghaus jacket. Which covers everything I need it too.

It's lightweight but strong for going through bushes etc, fits well and keeps me bone dry.

I normally use a £25 Karimoor which works really well too. My only reason for buying a dedicated wading jacket is that I'm sick of filling my pockets up with water when I deep wade - walking jackets are too long!

Dryfly

Reaction score
I brought one Simms G3

Shockingly bad.

Water bleed through it after a weeks fishing. 1 week!

Asked for a replacement / refund with receipt to hand.

Told no.

Will never ever ever buy Simms overpriced poor quality kit again. And that was before they came out in support of Trump in his make American products great again event.

No Ta.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Sounds like Trump and Simms have a bit in common. If I was going to 'make America great again' I would have thought a reasonable start would be a bit of integrity.

I bought a Patagonia River Salt 3 years ago. It's a robustly built but pretty simple jacket that looks good. It has a great hood, good pockets that don't snag and I'd back it for keeping the water out for years (it's made out of the same grade fabric as waders apparently) The trick is to get one at the right price, if you do I couldn't imagine a better value proposition.

Last edited:

Perrypokemon

Reaction score

Wading jacket or not,, Berghaus make some of the finest outdoor clothing on the planet.

Gralaks

Reaction score
Ive had it with expensive "named wading jackets". I think they are just aimed at "catching" us anglers. The prices are eye watering on some of the kit available. Iv got a Trespass jacket. Short enough to wade the waters that I fish. 20.000 waterproofing. The water just beads up on it. A quick shimmy of my body and it and drops off. Brilliant. Im really impressed with it after 3 seasons. Long may it continue. Price? £60 in a sale online. Cant remember where at the minute. I,ll get another one in a heartbeat.