Wading Jacket with back pocket

scoops

Reaction score
Bust the zip on my Redington Sonic Pro wading jacket today, done me good had it about 10 years and was still beating the elements
What I liked was the decent pocket on the back for sticking fly boxes and bottle water, wandered if any recommendations for wading jackets with a back pocket, thanks

G

guest2938

Get the zip fixed scoops....get another 10 years out of her

DCH

G

guest2938

be a doddle....then a hand wash, some waterproofing treatment, good as new ready for another season

DCH

scoops

Reaction score
be a doddle....then a hand wash, some waterproofing treatment, good as new ready for another season

DCH
Will ask about the zip change when see her next time, Been giving it and the waders the Nikwax treatment end each season fairly makes them last longer

Speytime

Reaction score
Be sure to check how the back pocket opens, i bought a greys wading jacket that zipped across the shoulders, short of taking the jacket off the pocket was unaccessible, a ridiculous idea imo.

Al

scoops

Reaction score
Be sure to check how the back pocket opens, i bought a greys wading jacket that zipped across the shoulders, short of taking the jacket off the pocket was unaccessible, a ridiculous idea imo.

Al

Good point, the Redington one has a side zip handy for opening and reaching in

carbisdale caster

Reaction score

Al
I found this with my Simms G4 jacket, I never used the back pocket as it involved having to take the jacket off to close it properly, where's the convenience in that?

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I got a Snowbee Prestige because it was a. Cheap and b. Mentioned in MCX’s Jacket Quest.

It’s got a decent back pocket but you’ll need to add a bit of cord or a zip tie to the zip handle to make it easy to open.

The jacket has 2 good sized pockets. I’ve had a few drenchings over the last couple of years and it has remained dry as a bone inside.

Worth a look.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The SST has a good size rear back pocket.
But the only way you can access it is by taking the jacket off!
Utterly bonkers especially if it’s raining at the time. A really stupid design flaw showing a serious lack of thought.
Indeed, there are so many design flaws in the Patagonia SST that after 3 seasons I cannot recommend it at any price.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I got a Snowbee Prestige because it was a. Cheap and b. Mentioned in MCX’s Jacket Quest.

It’s got a decent back pocket but you’ll need to add a bit of cord or a zip tie to the zip handle to make it easy to open.

The jacket has 2 good sized pockets. I’ve had a few drenchings over the last couple of years and it has remained dry as a bone inside.

Worth a look.
Simple, comfortable, functional, cheap. Did me well for 15 years. Wish I had bought another one.

skyhook

Reaction score
Hi Michael yes you have to take it off for accessing the rear pocket, but can you have a rear pocket that you can access without taking your jacket off? My old Simms guide classic had a side entry but it was very difficult to unzip and fully zip up while wearing it. What else fustrates you about the SST?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
It’s a long list.

One really annoying niggle is that the Velcro on the chest pockets exactly matches the wrists. Every time you put a fly box in our out, you hand gets attached to your chest. After the hundredth time you just want to scream.
Handwarmer pockets zipped too deep so stuff falls out.
Interior inadequate wear protection - it will go through next season.
Interior pocket zip not waterproof.
Oddments pouches in pockets - nuisance.
Hood adjuster solely for yoga instructors
Back pocket inaccessible
Any more?

ibm59

Reaction score
It’s a long list.

One really annoying niggle is that the Velcro on the chest pockets exactly matches the wrists. Every time you put a fly box in our out, you hand gets attached to your chest. After the hundredth time you just want to scream.
Handwarmer pockets zipped too deep so stuff falls out.
Interior inadequate wear protection - it will go through next season.
Interior pocket zip not waterproof.
Oddments pouches in pockets - nuisance.
Hood adjuster solely for yoga instructors
Back pocket inaccessible
Any more?
Exactly why I seldom wear mine on the riverbank.
Great ‘ about town’ waterproof jacket though. :thumb:

Last edited:

skyhook

Reaction score
I agree the inside pocket is tiny, also the zips are awkward and the hood is a bit awkward too. But the warranty is A1 so as soon it breaks or worn get it replaced hopefully a better model lol.

Mattytree

Reaction score
Just put a loop wading jacket on eBay that has a large back pocket if any one is interested in a bargain.

Last edited:

scoops

Reaction score
I got a replacement zip sent from RiRi the zip company for zip, very kind of them, unfortunately it’s 70mm too long
Had a scan of eBay as I regularly do and came across the Snowbee jacket in my size, got a bargain less than £25 delivered looks like hardly been worn so will give it the Nicwax treatment for the start of the season, just what need for the pockets especially the good back one 👍