Wading boots recommendations.

budge

Reaction score
Any suggestions regarding wading boots yet again ? I have just worn out my 2nd pair of cheap boots in 2 seasons use. First pair are actually still wearable after a bit of aquasure and self tapper repair. The 2nd pair which were Airflo ones lasted only 20 or so outings before they both split across the toe area. To be fair they said they haven't had a problem with them before, and have given me a full refund.
I am now in the market for a new pair, felt soles with studs is my preference. Budget wise £150 or so provided I get a few seasons out of them.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
You wont go far wrong with simms wading boots, its one of the items where you do seem to get what you pay for.
Also if you arent in a rush its worth waiting untill sportfish/farlows, john norris etc have their sales on as you get some good deals on boots.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kimbo

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Dunlop safety boots for £26. They are all leather with a good sole I put some studs on it. I spent a week on the alness walking and wading and they still look like new. I can send you the link if you want.
I won't buy another pair of wading boots again as these are far better, and for the money you could buy several pairs.

budge

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Dunlop safety boots for £26. They are all leather with a good sole I put some studs on it. I spent a week on the alness walking and wading and they still look like new. I can send you the link if you want.
I won't buy another pair of wading boots again as these are far better, and for the money you could buy several pairs.
I have considered this before as anything fishing related automatically doubles in price. I just worry about rubber soles on rocks and rounded boulders ? Probably fine on gravel and mud but I don't have an issue with studded felt on them (just need to be careful on muddy grass)

westie4566

Reaction score
As above Simms Freestones. Just about in your budget (and probably will be during the winter sales)

Two seasons in on mine fishing at least twice a week and in some pretty rough places. Hardly showing any sign of wear at all. Cracking, well built boot.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any of my fishing mates who were anything else either.

budge

Reaction score
Think the Freestones are looking favourite. Thanks guys.

westie4566

Reaction score
I'm an Aberdonian so thrift appeals to me:lol:

Bottom line is, when you add up multiple pairs of less expensive wading boots (probs on average £70 or more) then the Simms make financial sense too.

I don't want to upset anyone here....but I got my Freestones, brand new with tags on fleabay for £70. Someone had bought the wrong size! Bargain of the century as far as I'm concerned. When they finally give up the ghost I'd be quite happy paying full retail for another pair, though!

Rennie

Reaction score
I've got Simms Headwaters with Vibram and studs and cleats.Deep Sea divers boots!, solid great protection, 2 years in and going strong.Fancy a matching pair of Headwaters Felt too.Good as it gets!
Pedro.

bankwheel

Reaction score
I have worn Simms for years and are OK, certainly not bomb proof, mine are now on their last legs so I'm now waiting on the Patagonia boots made by Danner, very expensive but I've heard lost of good things about them, time will tell. The Freestones are great boots for the money

Rrrr

Reaction score
Simms Freestones - what are they like size wise? are they as usual, get a size above your regular shoe size?
Im between a 9.5 and 10 regular shoe with wide feet and a simms 11(uk size) is perfect. Mine are the rivertec boas rather than freestones but as far as i know they use the same footbed in most of the range.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Thats 2 seasons of abuse on my felt soled ones fishing a couple of times a week and putting miles in. They are dirty but pretty much good as new construction wise.

Greegs

Reaction score
Had these for a good few years, great boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Bought a pair of 13078-04 Prestige Nubuck Wading Boots a few yrs back in the sale. No sign of any wear whatsoever. Fully neglected too apart from drying out on the garage boiler!

budge

Reaction score
Had these for a good few years, great boots.

Crikey ! that's a rare old selection of studs ! What are they like on a slab of shiny rock ?

Greegs

Reaction score
Crikey ! that's a rare old selection of studs ! What are they like on a slab of shiny rock ?

A bit slippy tbh.

I’ve about 3 or 4 different makes of studs in them & just leave the old ones in.

The Hardbite from Simms are poor quality now & don’t last.