Wader Studs.

Rennie

Reaction score
As I usually run two pairs of boots, a cheaper Felt and stud's one and a more robust Vibram and studs boot, it was time to replace the cheapo felt and stud boot.
I bit the bullet and bought some Simms Headwater Boa with felt sole.Now I had some Kold Kutter studs left from the outgoing Guideline felts, so I used those.
Each boot got 3 across the very tip of the toe and 5 round the heel close to the edge on each boot.
Just back from a solid week of fishing on the Tay, very little walking involved, out the car to the hut, then up n down the river bank and in the water.Slightly over 12hrs fishing each day for 6 days on stones, pebbles, heavy shingle even small rocks.
When I got home and was tidying every thing up and putting it all away I examined the boots- which were fine!.The studs however were almost gone, worn away.I doubt I'd have gotten my customary fortnight up there out of them.
I have to say the grip they gave was good, in fact better than my Vibram and studs+cleats!.But, it wouldn't have lasted a season, a long long way short!.
Just a point of illustration over the difference in stud materials.If one is going to re-stud for every trip away, then fair do's and if the wading isn't such a demanding one in terms of river bed the longevity could be expected to be longer, but for those who think the cheaper steel studs are an option, there's proof perhaps not!
Wading on nicely(but still no fish),Pedro.

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
I like the koldkutters and just order a big bag and swap them out as soon as they wear. It seems that once the sharp edges wear then the grip drops off quite quickly.
The supertracks look the business and ive not tried them yet but they dont look to have the surface area or as many edges to dig in as the foot starts to slide.

Also, do your headwaters boa boots have an annoying squeek as you walk before getting them wet ?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Pedro,
it's a simple choice between buying cheaper plain steel studs and replacing them often, with all the associated labour; or going for proper tungsten studs that last for ages. I recently studded a new pair of the Vision Michelin rubber soled boots with 14 tungsten studs each. It wasn't cheap, but on the other hand it was only a small proportion of the cast of the boots, the grip's ferocious and if things don't go to plan they might even see me out!

morphfly

Reaction score
Pedro,
it's a simple choice between buying cheaper plain steel studs and replacing them often, with all the associated labour; or going for proper tungsten studs that last for ages. I recently studded a new pair of the Vision Michelin rubber soled boots with 14 tungsten studs each. It wasn't cheap, but on the other hand it was only a small proportion of the cast of the boots, the grip's ferocious and if things don't go to plan they might even see me out!
I've still got a pair of leather Simms with the original tungsten tipped studs and the studs are as good now as they were when I bought them.
Morphfly

Rennie

Reaction score
I like the koldkutters and just order a big bag and swap them out as soon as they wear. It seems that once the sharp edges wear then the grip drops off quite quickly.
The supertracks look the business and ive not tried them yet but they dont look to have the surface area or as many edges to dig in as the foot starts to slide.

Also, do your headwaters boa boots have an annoying squeek as you walk before getting them wet ?

No Squeaks at all Rrrr, in fact quite liking them!.
Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
No Squeaks at all Rrrr, in fact quite liking them!.
Pedro.
Thats the only issue ive had with mine to be honest. Just seems to be the leather on the tongue squeeking but dosent cause any issues.
I really like mine, they are quite a bit lighter than my old rivertek boas and are slightly more comfortable when wearing them all day.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Defo supatracks. Neay broke my heart forking out nearly £50 on enough to do both mine and my sons boots with the tool but have to be honest it was probably the best £50 I've spent on my tackle. They are superb and worth every penny. Looks like I will be replacing my sons boots soon and will be re fitting them in new boots they are that solid.

britfisher

Reaction score
Recently converted my felt soled boots to the new Supertrack 1605 studs which are specially designed for felt soles. Easy to fit with the special tool and superb levels of grip on moss covered rocks. Have tried Koldcutters and various other steel studs but I found all of them only work when they’re new, and grip levels drop off fast. Have been struggling to find good studs since my original Simms tungsten carbide studs wore out - a couple of more recent sets broke up much more quickly than the originals - but these new 1605s look really promising. So far, so good!

uplands50

Reaction score
I’ve had Snowbee tungsten studs in my Simm Boa for 3 years I think, great grip no wear, the boots are starting break up but the studs are fine.