wader repairs

Klinkybill

Reaction score
does the alcohol spray method for detecting pinhole leaks work on any make off breathable waders or is it only for Simms.i am not having much success with my GREYS STRATA CTX ?

Tangled

Reaction score
does the alcohol spray method for detecting pinhole leaks work on any make off breathable waders or is it only for Simms.i am not having much success with my GREYS STRATA CTX ?
No it doesn't work on Stratas. Been there, done that. It works on Gortex but seemingly not some other materials.

Where's your leak? I had three. One I found easily because it was a small tear and was visible, another was a seam that had come away in a small section. The third was a tiny pinhole that made a damp patch on my left knee. Looking closely I saw a small brown stain on the outside which turned out to be the leak. Aquaseal fixed all three.

I've not seen any simple method of finding leaks in material that IPA doesn't work on. You can sit in a bath and find the area that the leak is coming from. You can fill each leg with water one at a time (carefully, supporting its weight otherwise you'll burst the seems), you can go into a darkened room and shine a torch through the material but none are really easy.

Last edited:

chriswjx

Reaction score
Could you not fill the bath up, put the waders in chest cavity in first (think like you would with a big plastic bag to keep as much air in there). Then roll up the chest section a bit until you could stick some duct tape on it or something to keep the air in, then you just submerge the legs and wait for the air bubbles?

mows

Reaction score
My experience with Greys Strata waders, is they leak from day one and are sh1te.
Be as well buying them.
Then put them straight in the bin and buy some other waders.
You still waste the same amount of money, but at least your dry.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Ah the old inner tube trick, you must have been a cyclist in a previous life
Snowbee used to do something that would detect leaks, never used it so I don't know if it works

Just dug out the safety data sheets for that. It's just IPA in a spray bottle... Good money spinner for that... £6 for 30 mL...

https://www.stormsure.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/Pdfs/MSDS_Leak_Detector__1.pdf

ozzyian

Reaction score

chriswjx

Reaction score
Imagine if it was Simms? Probably £18 and you need 1 per leg :)

For the tightwads (like me) out there this is what you need

Isopropyl for tightwads

Though it seems like it doesn't work on some wader materials (it does on the waders I've used)

Be lucky for just 1 per leg, I can see them making it so that it's single use...

Not even for tightwads, it's the exact same stuff 🤣 their safety sheet has it in black and white that it's a mono component product of just IPA... imagine their profit margins on that are huge

I work in a lab so I don't even pay that 😅 just fill up a bottle on my way out

Tangled

Reaction score
My experience with Greys Strata waders, is they leak from day one and are sh1te.
Be as well buying them.
Then put them straight in the bin and buy some other waders.
You still waste the same amount of money, but at least your dry.

My experience has been exactly the opposite. I bought them as a lightweight travel pair to keep under the baggage allowance and treated as them as disposable but used the first pair for three years, before encountering the first leak - barbed wire. The pinprick leak was a wayward hook. The only fabric failure was a seam which was also easily fixed. I bought a second pair as back up and still not used them.

mows

Reaction score
My experience has been exactly the opposite. I bought them as a lightweight travel pair to keep under the baggage allowance and treated as them as disposable but used the first pair for three years, before encountering the first leak - barbed wire. The pinprick leak was a wayward hook. The only fabric failure was a seam which was also easily fixed. I bought a second pair as back up and still not used them.
Id try the new ones to see if they are water tight.
Theres a reason, greys stopped supplying them and put them on sale straight away.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Be lucky for just 1 per leg, I can see them making it so that it's single use...

Not even for tightwads, it's the exact same stuff 🤣 their safety sheet has it in black and white that it's a mono component product of just IPA... imagine their profit margins on that are huge

I work in a lab so I don't even pay that 😅 just fill up a bottle on my way out
Well that's proper tightwad behaviour :) I doff my cap to you Sir:)

Yes, exactly the same chemical composition according to the data sheet. I use it for a couple of things at work (cleaning/electronics etc) and of course also when I've been through the gorse bushes fishing. If anyone needs it that trigger bottle 1l is very handy it lasts for lots of wader repairs - and ideally you do need the trigger pack.

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Could you not fill the bath up, put the waders in chest cavity in first (think like you would with a big plastic bag to keep as much air in there). Then roll up the chest section a bit until you could stick some duct tape on it or something to keep the air in, then you just submerge the legs and wait for the air bubbles?
Remember to add a cap full of washing up liquid, as the resultant bubbles are clearer to see, and hang about longer!
You don't need much air pressure in them, just enough to generate an airflow back through the hole to create bubbles.
Think how much you need to test, ( i.e: Just how often do you wade past your navel ? :eek: ). Most chesties have an area around the hips, ( Belt area), where there is a natural pinch point. Fill them full of air, pinch them with a strap, bungy, and dunk, keeping the pinch point as low as possible.
Then push the leak area under the water, and watch for the bubbles.
Most of the 'Leak detector' they use in tyre shops is just soapy water !

chriswjx

Reaction score
Remember to add a cap full of washing up liquid, as the resultant bubbles are clearer to see, and hang about longer!
You don't need much air pressure in them, just enough to generate an airflow back through the hole to create bubbles.
Think how much you need to test, ( i.e: Just how often do you wade past your navel ? :eek: ). Most chesties have an area around the hips, ( Belt area), where there is a natural pinch point. Fill them full of air, pinch them with a strap, bungy, and dunk, keeping the pinch point as low as possible.
Then push the leak area under the water, and watch for the bubbles.
Most of the 'Leak detector' they use in tyre shops is just soapy water !

Yup, bit of fairy in the water will do it. If you have a rough idea of where the leak is as well, you might not even need to fill the bath to submerge it I would have thought. Could just pour the soapy water on the suspect area and wait for the bubbles?

P!scator

Reaction score
I turn my waders inside out, wrap the wader tops tight around a length of 22mm pipe insulation foam tube & tape up tight. stick an electric air bed inflator into the insulation tube hole, secure & inflate the waders, then I sponge with very soapy water to find any leaks & mark with a soft crayon to patch when dry. I patch with short lengths of iron on seam tape. fixed 8 pinholes last time I didn't know were there. oh aye you also give ur waders a wash inside at the same time 😉

Klinkybill

Reaction score
No it doesn't work on Stratas. Been there, done that. It works on Gortex but seemingly not some other materials.

Where's your leak? I had three. One I found easily because it was a small tear and was visible, another was a seam that had come away in a small section. The third was a tiny pinhole that made a damp patch on my left knee. Looking closely I saw a small brown stain on the outside which turned out to be the leak. Aquaseal fixed all three.

I've not seen any simple method of finding leaks in material that IPA doesn't work on. You can sit in a bath and find the area that the leak is coming from. You can fill each leg with water one at a time (carefully, supporting its weight otherwise you'll burst the seems), you can go into a darkened room and shine a torch through the material but none are really easy.
Thanks for the help.I gave up on the spray Although idid find that spraying on the outside. did show up on inside! Its a bit awkward though.reverted to the water in the leg test ....Leak found and repaired .Thanks to all

Tangled

Reaction score
I'd never tried the "fill your waders with water" trick but I had seen it done on a video of SIMMS in QA testing, so I reckoned it must work.

Anyway, I just tried it, copying their method of supporting the weight of the filled waders with the now patent pending TPT; 'Tangled Patio Test'.

Wait for wife to go out and prepare wader support system

1620127300594.jpeg

Fill legs with water

1620127390108.jpeg

Notice water dripping out of wader

1620127471061.png

Find pin prick hole in heal.

So it does work but I wouldn't do it again. The pressure of water in the waders was huge. I think next time I'll use air and the bath

Isisalar

Reaction score
Of course, for the non tightwads, send them to Diver Dave and he will find the leaks, repair them and then pressure test them. He'll apply some excellent re proofing stuff too.

Tangled

Reaction score
Heard mixed reviews of DD. Some love him, some hate him. I can't work out whether the ones that love him have used him recently and wether the ones that hate him haven't.

In any case, I consider breathable waders consumable items and only buy cheap now. The last set cost £60 and lasted 3 years, I'm repairing them just for fun mainly, but they'll be a useful back-up and for sitting around in boats