VMC Hooks

djm1971

Reaction score
I'm having real trouble finding Double Salmon hooks in a mixture of sizes, I can get VMC Hooks in all sizes, has anyone used them? Are the ok Hooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprintavoj

Reaction score
I'm having real trouble finding Double Salmon hooks in a mixture of sizes, I can get VMC Hooks in all sizes, has anyone used them? Are the ok Hooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always use them, mainly because of there availability and price. I must say that I never have a problem.

Last edited:

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
perhaps my fish aren't big enough to straighten them. ;);)

I can bend them with my fingers, before this i found they would snap and bend on light snags. They aren't a good wire. Personally i can't see the point in spending hundreds on a good rod, hundreds on a good reel and line, hundreds on some good fishing and then put a hook on that is so weak.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
There is not one thing wrong with VMC hooks other than they are not as 'fashionable' as the ones used by Davie McPhail or other 'celebrities'.

I use a lot of VMC's in smaller sizes like 12 and 14. Yes I do like Salars but have had a couple of these straighten on me over the years after getting stuck on the bottom. I mostly use salars for Flamethower type flies. I have never used a Patriot hook.

It really does not matter which hook you choose. A hook has not been invented yet that will land 100% of fish hooked. A pack of 10 VMC's will not break the bank for you to try out, or even the 100 selection that you can get (20 of each size from 6 to 14) for £25 from Doug at Flymakers. Fish them with complete confidence and you may just be surprised how good a hook they are for the money.

Reiver Flash

Reaction score
I have used a lot of the low water VMC doubles. They do look a bit flimsy, but they are low water hooks, but I have never lost a fish due to a failing in the hook. Caught two springers on them this year without an issue.

As someone fairly new to fly tying I liked the longer shanks too initially!

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
I use a lot of VMC's in smaller sizes like 12 and 14. Yes I do like Salars but have had a couple of these straighten on me over the years after getting stuck on the bottom. I mostly use salars for Flamethower type flies. I have never used a Patriot hook.

come on man!...you would need a greys apollo 14' and 70lb breaking strain line to straighten a Salar.

Luckily for us there is a key next to all hooks which tells you how good the hook is. This is called the price. The fact VMC's are dirt cheap and are always available tells all.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
come on man!...you would need a greys apollo 14' and 70lb breaking strain line to straighten a Salar.

Luckily for us there is a key next to all hooks which tells you how good the hook is. This is called the price. The fact VMC's are dirt cheap and are always available tells all.

No it was my 11 foot, #7 switch rod and 13.6lb Seaguar on the size 11 gold salar double just last week! ;)

I'll agree, there are some god awful hooks out there, however, VMC are not among them.

Toasted heretic

Reaction score

Have to disagree man, have pretty much stopped using the dressing doubles and singles after straightened several, might add 13lb tippet. Code Ps are now my go to with K Sawada steelhead singles- marvellous fish holders- also like the osprey tube fly double for v small hairwings.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Granted, this is a Salar single that straightened a few years back but one of the double hooks looked exactly the same last week. I was able to straighten it again with pliers.

Last edited:

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
Granted, this is a Salar single that straightened a few years back but one of the double hooks looked exactly the same last week. I was able to straighten it again with pliers.

Threw about twenty a about twenty seatrout singles in bin this June after similar outcome with possible PB white trout JC.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk