Vision onki or tool?

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't tried either of these two rods but I have had a feel at the onki and although I'm not keen on the colour it did feel like a nice rod with a lot of "feel". By that I mean it seemed to flex further into the blank than a lot of rods. The marketing write up describes it as medium fast but I've seen a couple of reviews describing it as a nice through action rod and one compared it to an older spey style rod. That's what I'm looking for. A nice through action. Question is, how does the vision tool compare?

I'm specifically looking at the 15ft versions. I've read MCX's great blog post on the 13ft version of the onki and it certainly paints the rod in a good light.

Any thoughts on either rod would be great.

Thank you,

Jamie

Last edited:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I've not used the 15 footer of either model. However, the design brief suggests that just as at 13 feet, the Onki will be the fuller action of the two.

Finglas

Reaction score
Thank you MCX. Uttings seem to have the vision onki's at a good price just now and with a few days coming up where a 15 footer is the order of the day I'm very tempted!

Jamie

Finglas

Reaction score
I Tried both 15ft Tool & Onki with Jim Fearn's open day, demo rods,

I much preferred the Tool by a long shot , casts for miles , ended up buying one , for large rivers 60 ft Mid Spey Rio 10/11,

The Onki colour put me off too

Thank you. How do the actions compare?

I agree with you on the colour. I'm not keen on it but wouldn't let it put me off a good deal and a good casting tool

Finglas

Reaction score
Thanks Scierra. Sounds like a great rod. Just having a look around for them, doesn't seem like there are many around and I'd rather get the cork handle if I did choose that rod.

Thanks for your advice.

Finglas

Reaction score
Had some difficulties finding a tool and given I've only really handled the onki (plus it seemed to be on sale at a good price at uttings) I've decided to go for the onki.

I'll report back here with how I get on.

Thanks to those who replied, I appreciate it.

Jamie

Finglas

Reaction score
Well here is the reporting back.....I used the rod for the first time on the Spey. It casts well and DID feel lovely until it exploded at the second section up! Absolutely no reason why and first ever rod of mine to break like that.

Naturally I've lost a bit of faith in them now and credit must go to uttings who have no quibbles at all at giving me a full refund and they have organised a courier for the rod to be collected today. Superb service from them but super disappointed in the rod!

Jamie

MCXFisher

Reaction score
That’s awful bad luck. It could have happened with any brand - exploding LPXes were quite common a decade ago - but I can understand your loss of confidence in Vision. Over the years I’ve had two Loops and one Hardy fail, but to date, no Vision.

Finglas

Reaction score
That’s awful bad luck. It could have happened with any brand - exploding LPXes were quite common a decade ago - but I can understand your loss of confidence in Vision. Over the years I’ve had two Loops and one Hardy fail, but to date, no Vision.

Thanks Michael. To be honest it's only that model. I would consider their other models. As you say it is very likely just bad luck but it was disappointing for it to happen when we were away for the week!

Thanks,

Jamie

Finglas

Reaction score
Thanks Michael, very kind of you to offer that. It would be great to try it but I don't know much about them? How is their action? Is it in anyway similar to the cult which seems to be a good fishing tool?

Do you have a blog post about them I could read before trying?

Again, very kind of you, i appreciate it.

Jamie

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Here you are

I love it. If you don’t want to pay that much money, have a look at this one