Vision GT4 Catapult 15' 11wt 37gram Which Lines?

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Well I have RAGE 38gram heads and also a Rio setup to that weight as well as my 42 gram heads. I guess I had better make sure there aren't any canal boats on there or there is a very good chance of landing one!!!! At least there aren't many people out there currently walking the paths with Covid so I have half a chance of having a go!

Geordieboy

Reaction score
So then Operation Canal Casting concluded.
NOTE TO SELF; NEVER REPEAT. All my tackle is covered in Diesel oil now 😖

Conclusions; You can't cast on grass to get a feel for a salmon rod. You simply can't create an anchor.
The rod is fantastic and easy to cast once you learn each lines characteristics.

In order of ease to cast;
1. Mackenzie DTX 38 gram floater and 10ft Polyleader. This line just picked up and cast. It flew out of the rod rings and a lovely loop was formed. I could only manage about 45yds but I'd bet it would go further. (I shoot and have done for 42 years, trust me it was 45yds)
2. Airflo RAGE 570grains. Once I figured out where to drop my anchor it flew out. Easy to pick up as well and easy to cast and lift the polyleader.
3. Airflo Skagit 2.0 660 grains. I had to slow everything down for this and it would definitely benefit from a much longer head. I guess thats where the MOW tips come in. I only had 10ft poly leaders and sometimes my anchor just skipped and it was an awful cast.
4. GREYS Floating kit 41grams. I could cast it about 30yds and on a river it will come into its own. The poly leader just seemed to pull this tip down very easily where the Mackenzie just lifted off.

All in all a great (but painful) exercise. EVERYTHING, stinks of diesel oil. All my lines are in the sink with Fairy liquid. I'll be washing the rod down as well. Amazing the difference all of these lines gave. The Mackenzie wins hands down and I'm looking forward to fishing with it for sure. The rod is easy to cast, and once I compressed it boy it really has a feel. I love it in fact.

Thanks to everyone on here for your help.

Ratman

Reaction score
So then Operation Canal Casting concluded.
NOTE TO SELF; NEVER REPEAT. All my tackle is covered in Diesel oil now 😖

Conclusions; You can't cast on grass to get a feel for a salmon rod. You simply can't create an anchor.
The rod is fantastic and easy to cast once you learn each lines characteristics.

In order of ease to cast;
1. Mackenzie DTX 38 gram floater and 10ft Polyleader. This line just picked up and cast. It flew out of the rod rings and a lovely loop was formed. I could only manage about 45yds but I'd bet it would go further. (I shoot and have done for 42 years, trust me it was 45yds)
2. Airflo RAGE 570grains. Once I figured out where to drop my anchor it flew out. Easy to pick up as well and easy to cast and lift the polyleader.
3. Airflo Skagit 2.0 660 grains. I had to slow everything down for this and it would definitely benefit from a much longer head. I guess thats where the MOW tips come in. I only had 10ft poly leaders and sometimes my anchor just skipped and it was an awful cast.
4. GREYS Floating kit 41grams. I could cast it about 30yds and on a river it will come into its own. The poly leader just seemed to pull this tip down very easily where the Mackenzie just lifted off.

All in all a great (but painful) exercise. EVERYTHING, stinks of diesel oil. All my lines are in the sink with Fairy liquid. I'll be washing the rod down as well. Amazing the difference all of these lines gave. The Mackenzie wins hands down and I'm looking forward to fishing with it for sure. The rod is easy to cast, and once I compressed it boy it really has a feel. I love it in fact.

Thanks to everyone on here for your help.
Was rather hoping you didn't like the rod, I could use a spare!

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I got my 15ft GT4 still and it absolutely pings the 42g Rio Scandi versitip system! Great rods!
Its lovely, and for the amount of time I will use it, it was a steal. I will run the line I have, but I do like the RIO systems. The SSVT on my 13footer is just unbelievable, and whilst I have fished for 42 years for trout, I have only just finished my first season on the salmon, only fishing 4 days last year. It has to be forgiving while I learn my trade. It just stinks of Diesel o_O DOH!
If I can move the Greys System on, (its only been cast once) then I will look at a RIO SCANDI system.

SteveG

Reaction score
A few people I know said the vision rods have plenty of power, some even said more that their rating

I’ve got a 14ft Onki and the blank on that feels very powerful and a fast action can’t wait to bend it this season (into a good fish hopefully 🤞🏻)

Geordieboy

Reaction score
The GT4 range are something else, I still fish them in a 14ft and 15ft mainly today.
I have the 11ft #7, 13ft 8/9# and the 15ft #11. The most I paid was £160 for the 13ft rod and I love it. I haven't cast the 11ft but bought it as a switch rod for smaller rivers. All in all I bought 3 x GT4 rods for a total of £410.
Now it has been said I am a tackle tart, but to be honest, I was fishing the tweed with 3 friends who have fished for salmon for the last 21 years, and I was outcasting them for the 2 days up there...... and I only learned to spey cast in a field after watching every salmon video on YouTube! I would go and pay £800 for a rod no problem, but the thing is, these rods are lovely to fish with and mine are in wonderful condition too....... so why bother?

SteveG

Reaction score
I have the 11ft #7, 13ft 8/9# and the 15ft #11. The most I paid was £160 for the 13ft rod and I love it. I haven't cast the 11ft but bought it as a switch rod for smaller rivers. All in all I bought 3 x GT4 rods for a total of £410.
Now it has been said I am a tackle tart, but to be honest, I was fishing the tweed with 3 friends who have fished for salmon for the last 21 years, and I was outcasting them for the 2 days up there...... and I only learned to spey cast in a field after watching every salmon video on YouTube! I would go and pay £800 for a rod no problem, but the thing is, these rods are lovely to fish with and mine are in wonderful condition too....... so why bother?
Oh don’t say that I will want one of them as well 😂

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Evening Salar Hunters,

I have been wondering why the Greys line would not cast so well, so thought I would measure them. As it happens, the head comes in at 34 grams (Greys states it is 41grams in 9/10). Surely this is too light and why I couldn't load the rod with it? Clearly, the Mackenzie 38grams with a 10ft tip cast like a dream.
The lad I bought the rod off said the RIO AFS in 42grams was great to cast with.
I'm not sure I have any comeback from Glasgow angling now I have fished with it. But surely that is the wrong head weight?.......or is it 41 grams including the tips? Thoughts anybody?