Vision GT4 Catapult 15' 11wt 37gram Which Lines?

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Afternoon all. I bought this some time ago and want to know what lines will work on it.
I've just cast a 660grain Airflo Skagit on the grass and it would hardly cast with a 10ft Airflo polyleader.
I then tried a 38 grain Triple D sinker and that was the same.
Next was a Greys 40grain floating shooting head, and I just couldn't get a loop.
Granted, I'm not the best caster and I was on wet grass so very difficult to get an anchor.
What can you recommend? Are the lines too heavy or too light?
Is the grass a problem?
Should I get casting lessons?

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
I had this rod, the 11wt rating is a bit of a confusion .... but concentrate on the 37g lines and you will be fine ( 580-585 grains) I used the Rio AFS 9/10 38g floating head with polys, and the vision ace inty/s1/2/s3 again 37g combinations for sub surface. This was a great casting rod and I sometimes wish I hadn’t sold it, but I don’t need a 15ft rod anymore. Casting with those lines, particularly the AFS, was a dream.

DCH 👁

Last edited:

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I had this rod, the 11wt rating is a bit of a confusion .... but concentrate on the 37g lines and you will be fine ( 580-585 grains) I used the Rio AFS 9/10 38g floating head with polys, and the vision ace inty/s1/2/s3 again 37g combinations for sub surface. This was a great casting rod and I sometimes wish I hadn’t sold it, but I don’t need a 15ft rod anymore. Casting with those lines, particularly the AFS, was a dream.

DCH 👁
Very much appreciated. The rod has hardly been used and I bought it for fishing the River Tay. I'll see if I can pick those lines up, and maybe try casting it on water.

SteveG

Reaction score
Is it worth trying double handed casting over grass? If so would it be worth adding some kind of weight to the tippet to imitate and anchor,

I can remember practicing single hand casting as a kid which was obviously worth while given the difference in technique

Still remember special people asking if I had caught anything 😂

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Might need to add some weight. It's easy to single hand cast on grass because the rid is the spring and the aerialied line the mass.

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
if you find difficulty casting with those lines on water ( airflo 10ft salmon polyleaders no heavier than the slow sink with the AFS, and faster sink rate 5-10ft polyleaders with whatever vision combination of sinking heads ( or any other lines you prefer around the weight I suggested)) then maybe seek casting lessons or pointers from someone with experience

DCH 👁

HMarquis

Reaction score
I have the 14ft of this rod. Use the 38g 3D guideline regularly it casts it no bother with tips and heavy tubes. Floating lines and full sinkers also. Nice easy action with that rod

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I think I've overloaded the rid with the 40grain lines and not being able to cast it on water it hasn't helped

bassfly

Reaction score
Rio AFS 42 grams is the perfect match. Skagit head 700/750 grains and 15ft tips. Some prefer the 38 gram AFS which I use on my 14ft GT4 catapult but I like the heavier head on the 15ft especially if I'm casting all day.

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
Is it worth trying double handed casting over grass? If so would it be worth adding some kind of weight to the tippet to imitate and anchor,

I can remember practicing single hand casting as a kid which was obviously worth while given the difference in technique

Still remember special people asking if I had caught anything 😂
Steve G , casting on grass is ok for overheading, but the Spey and its derivatives need an anchor- which grass dosen't give!.
You can fanny about with "grass leaders" and loads of knots, but honestly?, do your practise casting on water- even the local duck pond/canal etc is better than grass.Think about it!, if your practising without an effective anchor on grass you'll get used to this and when you do get on water once more, your casting will once more be pants!.
Pedro.

SteveG

Reaction score
Steve G , casting on grass is ok for overheading, but the Spey and its derivatives need an anchor- which grass dosen't give!.
You can fanny about with "grass leaders" and loads of knots, but honestly?, do your practise casting on water- even the local duck pond/canal etc is better than grass.Think about it!, if your practising without an effective anchor on grass you'll get used to this and when you do get on water once more, your casting will once more be pants!.
Pedro.
I thought as much Pedro I just wondered if there was an option to imitate the anchor, I know we use a casting ball to learn the craft with beach casters rather than continually having to walk the cast to pull your weight out of the ground.

I will just wait for the water to calm down a bit then let everyone wonder why I’ve started so early 👍

cheers
Steve

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I live as far away from a salmon river I might as well live on the moon! 🤣

I do have canals however. I'll try and find an open stretch and give the 15' rod a Google going

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
I thought as much Pedro I just wondered if there was an option to imitate the anchor, I know we use a casting ball to learn the craft with beach casters rather than continually having to walk the cast to pull your weight out of the ground.

I will just wait for the water to calm down a bit then let everyone wonder why I’ve started so early 👍

cheers
Steve
If you are on the Wear you won't be alone.
I'll be out in February improving my casting as well 👍

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Wish I'd kept mine☹ 42g heads all day long
I've got 41 and 42gram heads for it. The greys system in floating and intermediate, and a 660gram Skagit head. I just couldn't get it to cast on wet grass. Actually, I can barely cast 30 yds on grass with any of my rods. But fishing the Tweed, my 13ft GT4 Catapult I had to slow down everything as my first cast actually went all the way across the river and put my head/Polyleader/leader and fly into a tree about 30yds the other side. After all of my efforts on grass trying to compress the rod, on the water, it was entirely different and that 13ft rod was simply awesome and easy to fish with, throwing line out without any real effort. I am guessing the 15ft GT4 will be the same. I only bought it for the River Tay.

mc andy

Reaction score
Rio line recommendations for your rod.

I'd be sticking with 42gram 10/11# lines. Your greys heads sounds perfect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210118_104734.jpg
    Screenshot_20210118_104734.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 32

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
Oh my... It’s all getting a bit confusing for Geordieboy. Some great advice given, all that he needs to heed, but which is it ?

good luck, and as Roxette once sang .... “listen to your heart “

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Oh my... It’s all getting a bit confusing for Geordieboy. Some great advice given, all that he needs to heed, but which is it ?

good luck, and as Roxette once sang .... “listen to your heart “
I think the starting point is to try the 3 Lines I already have on water first! at 41-42 grams Head and Tip then its within a zone of what everyone here has recommended. If I find it too heavy, I will use my 38 gram heads off my SAGE Z Axis and see how that casts.

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
I think the starting point is 37g as stated by vision themselves

post 13 on this thread will hopefully make you think. I am giving you good advice through experience but it is your choice to make.

I am not disputing some Rods can perform with a larger gram grain window and others may prefer a heavier line on this rod, but you need to be careful. My switch can cast up to 28g, when it’s built as a 22g. Doesn’t mean it’s good for the rod. Some rods are sturdier than others

Good luck
DCH 👁

mc andy

Reaction score
I think the starting point is to try the 3 Lines I already have on water first! at 41-42 grams Head and Tip then its within a zone of what everyone here has recommended. If I find it too heavy, I will use my 38 gram heads off my SAGE Z Axis and see how that casts.
Exactly! Casting on grass has absolutely no resistance to anchor your line. You have the right lines for set up. Imo anyway.

Good luck trying it on the water.

Cheers andy