Vision GT4 11' 7wt Switch

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi gang. Anybody know what these are like? I have the 13' 8/9 & the 15' 10wt and the quality of finish is great and I like the way they cast.
I dont know about the 11' 7 though
Cheers

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I should have wrote this a bit better...

What is the Vision GT4 11' like as a switch rod? :)

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I have the GT4 Lite 12’ which is a delight to use. The design and resin technology is now 15 years old but it still works well enough. It loads all the way down and gives lots of casting feel. Compared to modern switches and grilse rods it’s softer in the tip, which conversely is good news when using very light tippets. It covers plenty of water with a Rio Scandi #7 which is a perfect match.

It’s not as good single handed as the Tool 11’ 6” #8, but I do very little fishing in that mode.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I have the GT4 Lite 12’ which is a delight to use. The design and resin technology is now 15 years old but it still works well enough. It loads all the way down and gives lots of casting feel. Compared to modern switches and grilse rods it’s softer in the tip, which conversely is good news when using very light tippets. It covers plenty of water with a Rio Scandi #7 which is a perfect match.

It’s not as good single handed as the Tool 11’ 6” #8, but I do very little fishing in that mode.
Many thanks for your detailed advice. I'm not averse to a used rod if it's a good one.

I have SAGE RPL+ Rods that are 23years old and they were and still are, the best 10ft rods to leave the SAGE factory. If I can get this at the right price I will then.
Top man Cheers.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I've just bought the used GT4 11' 7wt rod used. I need to know what line weight shooting head it will take. Any takers on this one?

I bought it on the back of fishing with the 13' GT4 rod at the weekend. I simply love the blank and the casting action.

D

Deleted member 21259

I have the 11ft 6 Catapult. You may think this a bit giddy but I have cast every model of Catapult that Vision made and this really is the very best of them. If you stick a floating Rio 7 weight AFS on it they work extremely well together. Put a 10ft Rio Versileader on the front end to finish off the set up and you really are very much good to go. As an alternative an Airflo Rage Compact 450 grains also works very well. I have bought many rods since with similar purposes in mind and quite frankly this still outperforms them all and it is now very old technology

TayRaider

Reaction score
I would give the airflo switch line a shot.

I put the #6 airflo switch on mine and it goes very nicely with light 10ft poly’s or faster ones in 5ft

Airflo have them at £25 just now on their eBay shop

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I have the 11ft 6 Catapult. You may think this a bit giddy but I have cast every model of Catapult that Vision made and this really is the very best of them. If you stick a floating Rio 7 weight AFS on it they work extremely well together. Put a 10ft Rio Versileader on the front end to finish off the set up and you really are very much good to go. As an alternative an Airflo Rage Compact 450 grains also works very well. I have bought many rods since with similar purposes in mind and quite frankly this still outperforms them all and it is now very old technology
I was told on here that the Vision GT4 rods were good. Fishing this weekend on the Tweed, I used the 13' 9wt rod I had bought and was simply amazed at how far I could cast and still present a fly. I am not proficient at Spey casting, however with a Rio Short Versitip it was exceptional.

I also landed my very first salmon on it so I am particularly chuffed as you can imagine! I will go and have a look at the Airflo ebay shop and see what they have there. Thanks for that!

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Do you think a 450gram Airflo Scandi Compact would work? I love rolling and flicking the shooting heads. Certainly on my 13' GT4, the RIO SSVT was a joy to use and present flies.

D

Deleted member 21259

Do you think a 450gram Airflo Scandi Compact would work? I love rolling and flicking the shooting heads. Certainly on my 13' GT4, the RIO SSVT was a joy to use and present flies.

Never personally tried one but cannot see any plausible reason why it wouldn't. My own feelings would be to start your casts slow and easy and see how it feels in your hand. If it feels overloaded at any point then obviously stop but it really shouldn't overload at that grain weight ;)