Vandalism

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Vandalism doesn't adequately describe what they did. Looks like an angling lake hope it won't come back to haunt the anglers but if it turns out to be one of them the person responsible should be fined heavily and jailed. just crazy.

Elibank

Reaction score
Despicable act of deliberate vandalism - social media has been suggesting that anglers may be responsible, but surely at Llyn Brenig, no one is regularly that short of fish!
Another suggestion might be owners of a small trout fishery that gets regularly visited by an Osprey, somewhere within 3/4 miles of Brenig. If anyone thinks that might be a tricky flight, they should remember that the ospreys have just recently flown in from South Africa....

Elibank

Reaction score
Vandalism doesn't adequately describe what they did. Looks like an angling lake hope it won't come back to haunt the anglers but if it turns out to be one of them the person responsible should be fined heavily and jailed. just crazy.
Just beat me to it!

charlieH

Reaction score
I hope they catch the morons who did it.😡😡.
Not just catch them, but punish them suitably as well.

In the Ancient Greek myths, the Gods punished Prometheus by chaining him to a hillside, where an eagle came and pecked out his liver. During the night night his liver re-grew and the eagle returned and did the same the next day, and the next, and the next, and....

I wonder whether ospreys might acquire a taste for human liver (though probably without the usual accompaniment of fava beans and a nice chianti 😉).

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Catch the feckers that done it stick them up a pole then cut it down wae a chainsaw
see how they fecking like it 🤬

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Why, maybe how, could anyone be such a tool. We get ospreys and I'd love to have more.
I used to fish this wee trout Loch which was right next door to the Loch of the lows osprey reservation near Dunkeld.
It's called butterstone Loch.
It was fantastic sitting in a boat and only 30ft away from you seeing them crash into the water to plunder the rainbows.
I've seen them do this on rivers many times but never this close.
A true spectacle

westie4566

Reaction score
As above, my disgust matches everyone's. Lovely birds are our summer visitors the Ospreys.

I've also seen them come crashing down and take a trout in front of me.....what an amazing site it is.

My concern is that the low lifes who did this will never be apprehended :mad:

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Bad news this. Backwards step, especially given the range expansion of ospreys under the legal protection, and increased awareness, they've had over the last 40 years.

Surprised it happened with all the surveilance nowadays, but still.

Not just catch them, but punish them suitably as well.

In the Ancient Greek myths, the Gods punished Prometheus by chaining him to a hillside, where an eagle came and pecked out his liver. During the night night his liver re-grew and the eagle returned and did the same the next day, and the next, and the next, and....

I wonder whether ospreys might acquire a taste for human liver (though probably without the usual accompaniment of fava beans and a nice chianti 😉).

Love this. One of my favourite wind ups for my fellow "brothers of the angle" is to list kingfishers, ospreys etc. with goosanders, mergansers and cormorants whenever asked to identify the "pesky fish eaters stealing all our fuish". Usually goes down like a lead turkey...

Turn the tables and would many on here would shout so loudly if it were a cormorant or goosey nest that had been given the axe? They have the same legal protection.

The option open for punishment (note it applies to ospreys, gooseys and cormorants alike) is the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Bad news this. Backwards step, especially given the range expansion of ospreys under the legal protection, and increased awareness, they've had over the last 40 years.

Love this. One of my favourite wind ups for my fellow "brothers of the angle" is to list kingfishers, ospreys etc. with goosanders, mergansers and cormorants whenever asked to identify the "pesky fish eaters stealing all our fuish". Usually goes down like a lead turkey...

Turn the tables and would many on here would shout so loudly if it were a cormorant or goosey nest that had been given the axe? They have the same legal protection.

The option open for punishment (note it applies to ospreys, gooseys and cormorants alike) is the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
Indeed. The Angling Trust has turned against otters and they can’t see the light - the point well made by yourself, that human interference is the main issue,

But what about Bass Rock’s gannets ? Right on the East Coast smolt route. So many they’ve stripped off all soil. AG

Last edited:

ozzyian

Reaction score

Good point, I have to admit that if someone had administered some street justice to a goosander or cormorant I would't have felt much in the way of outrage.

Seems like with regard the W&C Act there is a mismatch between public expectations and severity of the law, I think that you are right that there is no enhanced treatment for particularly sensitive species, quite surprising really. In terms of severity of punishment it looks like the discretion is left to the Magistrate or Sheriff.

With regard this specific incident it is very hard to understand the motivation behind this, it can't really be angler related can it? I mean even a total halfwhit could see that linking angling to this behaviour is completely counterproductive.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I used to fish this wee trout Loch which was right next door to the Loch of the lows osprey reservation near Dunkeld.
It's called butterstone Loch.
It was fantastic sitting in a boat and only 30ft away from you seeing them crash into the water to plunder the rainbows.
I've seen them do this on rivers many times but never this close.
A true spectacle

That was one of the very first lochs I fished as a nipper. With flocks of geese skimming your head as they came into land and the ospreys, even at a young age catching a fish was just the icing on the cake of a great day out!

Last edited:

Handel

Reaction score
Good point, I have to admit that if someone had administered some street justice to a goosander or cormorant I would't have felt much in the way of outrage.

Seems like with regard the W&C Act there is a mismatch between public expectations and severity of the law, I think that you are right that there is no enhanced treatment for particularly sensitive species, quite surprising really. In terms of severity of punishment it looks like the discretion is left to the Magistrate or Sheriff.

With regard this specific incident it is very hard to understand the motivation behind this, it can't really be angler related can it? I mean even a total halfwhit could see that linking angling to this behaviour is completely counterproductive.
I never understand people who go round deliberately starting fires in dry weather. There are just some very odd people out there.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Shocking...

Perhaps it was a local being pissed off at the amount of people visiting the site. People often jump to the wrong assumption and blame fishermen or shooters for any predator deaths.

That would be the "best" scenario, as I would hate to think that an angler would go out and do this...

However, if it does turn out to be an angler, I can foresee measures to reduce access, especially if he took a boat out to get there.... Bank fishing only might be the preventative measure...