Review Type Score by % Star rating

Fishery Description 79% ★★★★
Banks & Paths 76% ★★★★
Hut/boats etc 84% ★★★★
Gillie Service 82% ★★★★
Gillie Knowledge 82% ★★★★
Value for money 62% ★★★

Overall (based on 29 reviews) 78% ★★★★

62% is quite low on value for money on the top beat on the Tyne, (excluding Wylam ) and only 4 stars for the rest ? mind you there are few and far between 5 star ratings for any Tyne beat .

The Tweed has ample 5 star ratings on most beats.

check out reviews on Fishpal

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
Disgrace

To think that many of us have worked hard to get the Tyne Playground and other nets off - for what ? Pure greed IMO. No fishery board to finance, no special rates and local public's funds put the river right. Should hang their heads in shame owners like this. And folk like this have the brass neck to criticise netsmen !!

Bywell beat £219 + vat per day

Banks & Paths 76% ★★★★
Hut/boats etc 84% ★★★★
Gillie Service 82% ★★★★
Value for money 62% ★★★

62% is quite low on value for money on the top beat on the Tyne, (excluding Wylam ) and only 4 stars for the rest ? mind you there are few and far between 5 star ratings for any Tyne beat .

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Northumbrian anglers fed. 150 quid a year for most of the water between bywell and wylam, quite a bit of the coquet and some till beats. Great value but dont expect manicured banks and parking next to the river, you have to put the effort in to get results.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

davyd

Reaction score
out of hand

Bywell beat £219 + vat per day

Banks & Paths 76% ★★★★
Hut/boats etc 84% ★★★★
Gillie Service 82% ★★★★
Value for money 62% ★★★

Fishing used to be affordable where anyone could enjoy unfortunately mention salmon becomes silly money. £££££££££££££

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Northumbrian anglers fed. 150 quid a year for most of the water between bywell and wylam, quite a bit of the coquet and some till beats. Great value but dont expect manicured banks and parking next to the river, you have to put the effort in to get results.

Bit like Bywell?:D

It’s a good beat but overpriced and the pricing structure is wrong too IMO, building constantly to a back-end peak. It might have been ok in 2007-2011 and they are still trading on that reputation, but it’s not now.

It is way less than £200 a day in July mind, and they have actually dropped their back end prices a fair bit- so it’s no that bad, especially when you look at some Tweed beats.

I don’t feel anything for the owners, who were quite happy to get the Syndicate off when they realised they could get Tweed prices. I agree with Dave Wilkinson on that point.

I do feel for the Ghillies. I’ve never met them but they’re probably very good at their job and are working hard for half the fish that they were catching 8-10 years ago. . .

There’s loads of other good value water out there; but you have to either get it booked early, be prepared to drive a fair way, or put the hours in. That’s fishing, there’s always been water outside my price range and there always will be. I wouldn’t take Bywell at those prices but some will and some of them will have a great day.

Rrrr

Reaction score
The problem with late season fishing at bywell is that you can pay good money and have it booked a year in advance and then keilder decide to release at full capacity for a few days before and the fishings knackerd. I know all beats are the same with heavy rain but if my expensive fishing was scuttled by a man turning on a tap up river then i wouldnt be best pleased.

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
I have to be careful what I say now but maybe that is justice !! If one looks at the history of fishery management on Tyne since the collapse of 1930's there has not been much sympathy for fishery owners - now I wonder why that could be ??

The problem with late season fishing at bywell is that you can pay good money and have it booked a year in advance and then keilder decide to release at full capacity for a few days before and the fishings knackerd. I know all beats are the same with heavy rain but if my expensive fishing was scuttled by a man turning on a tap up river then i wouldnt be best pleased.

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
Ncl uni

If you look at the ref in the 1989 report into Kielder Effects which is on another post of mine on here, you will see that the recommendation therein was to run big releases at the back end. Also that the release regime was changed and to be based upon HE generation, following the collapse of Teesside steel-making, for which the project was originally intended.

Maybe there is battle between Chipchase and Bywell Estates over release patterns given their opposite locations in the catchment.

Last edited:

rs2ford

Reaction score
In my opinion if you don't get value for money then don't go back. If we all did that the beats who are guilty of this will be forced to lower prices or they will not survive as a business.
As previously mentioned, this is maybe not a good time to gauge this as everywhere is struggling. If you book in these conditions then don't expect value for money.

Cheers Diarmid.

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
True in part

You misunderstand - this is not about drought. We all make judgments along the lines stated in your first sentence. But salmon rivers on our doorsteps we have fished since being kids are in short supply.

This is about excessive rents when the costs don't justify it since Tyne owners have no compulsory taxes to pay for the fishing: Tweed prices and no costs therefore.

Then we have next year's forecast improvement from the new NLO and bylaws and from work the rods have done ( owners were hard to spot, save for one in particular ) - these are the worries we have - will ordinary folk have a chance to fish the river they paid for !! QED

p.s. Fortunately, some enlightened fishery owners remain and still support those who supported them in lean times.

In my opinion if you don't get value for money then don't go back. If we all did that the beats who are guilty of this will be forced to lower prices or they will not survive as a business.
As previously mentioned, this is maybe not a good time to gauge this as everywhere is struggling. If you book in these conditions then don't expect value for money.

Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

kinnaber

Reaction score
Never mind value for money ,It’s criminal that the majority of beats are still operating rod fisheries when considering stock levels combined with current river conditions.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Those Bywell prices do look high, certainly more than I am wiling to pay for a day's fishing.

But if anglers keep booking days, can you blame them ?

Also, it sounds as though they might have a higher cost structure than some other beats, mention of ghillies plural ?

rs2ford

Reaction score
You misunderstand - this is not about drought. We all make judgments along the lines stated in your first sentence. But salmon rivers on our doorsteps we have fished since being kids are in short supply.

This is about excessive rents when the costs don't justify it since Tyne owners have no compulsory taxes to pay for the fishing: Tweed prices and no costs therefore.

Then we have next year's forecast improvement from the new NLO and bylaws and from work the rods have done ( owners were hard to spot, save for one in particular ) - these are the worries we have - will ordinary folk have a chance to fish the river they paid for !! QED

p.s. Fortunately, some enlightened fishery owners remain and still support those who supported them in lean times.

I do indeed understand. My thoughts are on value for money at anytime and not just currently. I only mentioned the current conditions as an exception.
Cheers Diarmid.

Fairhope

Reaction score
What is value for money is an impossible question to answer with regard salmon fishing and in some parts of the country trout fishing too.
In my humble opinion Scotland - which I think the most beautiful country in the world - has ripped the **** out of salmon fishers for too long and is now about to pay the consequences. Absurd prices driven by supply and demand which has now stopped. Just a massive rip off. £5k for a week on the Naver? No water so unfishable? Unlucky.
Same here in Hampshire with trout fishing. A company charges £315 a day, plus 'please give him a tip', for a 'guide' on a mile of chalkstream!? Ludicrous and hopefully they are about to fall on their swords.
Money grabbers

Fairhope

salarium

Banned
Reaction score
What is value for money is an impossible question to answer with regard salmon fishing and in some parts of the country trout fishing too.
In my humble opinion Scotland - which I think the most beautiful country in the world - has ripped the **** out of salmon fishers for too long and is now about to pay the consequences. Absurd prices driven by supply and demand which has now stopped. Just a massive rip off. £5k for a week on the Naver? No water so unfishable? Unlucky.
Same here in Hampshire with trout fishing. A company charges £315 a day, plus 'please give him a tip', for a 'guide' on a mile of chalkstream!? Ludicrous and hopefully they are about to fall on their swords.
Money grabbers

Fairhope

Totally agree with your view on Scotland £5k will get you fishing around the world , but £315 for Hampshire trout fishing is a bit of a rip off :batty:

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
Could not agree more

Could not have put it better myself, everything is oversold in Scotland. That is why we tried to open up the Kola as quickly as possible before the usual agents locked it up - you know whom I mean.

However, what I am saying is that rip-off rents on the Tyne imposed by a few are not justified since the owners have no forced financial input into the river's management. This is apart from the fact that the river doesn't justify it yet.

Compare that with the Tweed: at least they have to finance the river's management but their problem is that most owners there just want rid of their rubbish and kept the autumn for themselves and close pals. Now it's all rubbish - what will they do - well they'll not get my money for one. You're right, fall on your swords guys.

Money grabbers

Fairhope

Last edited:

Fairhope

Reaction score
Totally agree with your view on Scotland £5k will get you fishing around the world , but £315 for Hampshire trout fishing is a bit of a rip off :batty:

That's £315 for a completely unnecessary 'guide' for the day salarium - the cost of fishing is on top of that! Some people actually pay it - mainly Americans getting fleeced. Absolutely shameful.

Fairhope

Rrrr

Reaction score
It would be intresting to work out value by the money spent per fish caught on beats, so fishing money divided by fish per year in the book.

Last edited:

thestump

Reaction score
value for money

personally I will not pay more than £100 for a days fishing and that would include a ghillies tip,most of my fishing would be in the £30 to £60 bracket and right now I wouldn't even pay that,since the middle of may I have been trout fishing in the northwest of Scotland and would consider this to be value for money as the most I have had to pay is £8-00 a day and at that price it matters not one jot if you catch or don't catch,i would agree with most posters that salmon fishing is overpriced and some beats and rivers are taking the proverbial!

kinnaber

Reaction score
It would be intresting to work out value by the money spent per fish caught on beats, so fishing money divided by fish per year in the book.

Indeed it would. Have you noticed how many beats as of this season have completely removed their catches tab on Fishpal ? Another blatant measure to exploit fisherman . Six or seven years back they were happy to display bumper catches to help justify silly rod rates....

Rrrr

Reaction score
Indeed it would. Have you noticed how many beats as of this season have completely removed their catches tab on Fishpal ? Another blatant measure to exploit fisherman . Six or seven years back they were happy to display bumper catches to help justify silly rod rates....
Aye this year would be like bmw having an advert with their car sitting on the back of an aa wagon.

bros

Reaction score
In my opinion if you don't get value for money then don't go back. If we all did that the beats who are guilty of this will be forceffd to lower prices or they will not survive as a business.

Cheers Diarmid.

Agree with this totally, we the anglers actually create these inflated price and we have the power to reduce them significantly by boycotting said beats.
Will we drive these prices back down..................possibly, but not far enough imho.